Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
I was also getting a bit of snow stuck to my kick wax, which was odd because I thought that the wax I put on was pretty hard compared to the temperature. The air temp definitely never exceeded -7 celsius, which was the lower limit of the wax. Are waxless skis kind of like clinchers these days, or is the difference bigger? As much as I love messing with tubulars, ski waxes, klisters, canti brakes (ok that's my limit), etc... I think waxless may be a good idea for me, considering the near freezing temperatures and often old snow I usually encounter unless I drive north for an hour.

I'm thinking a newbie wax application is worse than modern waxless skis. Opinion?
I think waxless skis really, truly suck unless you're on melting snow. Even then, these are the only waxless skis I'm aware of that pretty much ever test faster than a well-waxed ski: Fischer Sports - Nordic Ski Race Classic - RCS Classic Zero In general, the difference between well-waxed skis and waxless is like the difference between a Veloflex tubular and a 1 1/4" Kenda K35 clincher - it's huge.

It's not necessarily bad for your kick wax to be picking up a bit of snow on the kick. As long as it's coming off on the glide and you're not icing over, you're okay. What wax were you using at -7C, and what was the snow like (new, old, dirty, clean, etcetera)?