Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On Getting Too Damned Skinny

This is a bit of a branch out from the weight loss thread and direct crosspost from my blog: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...-22684-47.html and THE LOCALS ARE PAINTING MY NAME ON THE ROADS.

Thought I'd toss it in here as food for thought. Even with all of the science being poured into the sport, oftentimes old traditionalist adages can still reign supreme in the psyche...this year was a bit of proof of that for me.

The Hell of 2012: A Neopro Cautionary Tale

It's the eve of the Tour of Utah.

The race that I've been wanting to do since I shot it in 2010 for PezCyclingNews. One of the many motivators for riding, training, and racing like a man possessed the year after. The local big show, where all of my friends and family would surely turn out to lend support and serious amounts of crushivation. I'm even on a professional cycling team that received an invite this year.

And I'm not racing it.

It's okay. I've accepted it. In fact, I've accepted the fact that it would be a pretty unlikely event by the end of June. You know those stages of grief? I'm kind of through it. The hard part is answering the inquiry from everyone who pays attention to cycling in Utah - "Why not?"

To answer "Why not?" is to also answer the thought that bounces around inside my cranial nether regions, and has since a dismal showing at USPRO: "Damn, this year sucks."

It took until late July to figure out why.

Piles of blood tests. Piles of doctor visits. Revelations that my body was in complete survival mode. It kind of took me aback - I generally consider myself a pretty resilient bastard. I can usually thrash with broken bones, blood flowing out of every limb, and head injuries. No, my decrepit state couldn't have just been from a few (fairly harrowing) wrecks and nasty interactions with cars.

My family practice doctor, unfamiliar with the rigors of bike racing, suggested I had a brain tumor, and then she figured out just how much hell your average Cat 1/Pro cyclist in the US puts themselves through on a daily basis. She suggested training stress. Again, this wasn't a solid answer - very little had changed from the prior season when it came to what I was doing. If anything, I was in a better situation - working less, resting more, eating better, more focused on training than ever before. In fact, it inspired a bit of guilt. In 2011, I was working full-time, training, racing, and partying like a relative rockstar. In 2012, I was hardly working, training, racing, and living like a monk...and yet, having trouble pinning the break in a local race.

Then, while we (the doctor and I) were leafing through one of her huge tomes of medical knowledge (entertainingly, figuring out what was wrong became a joint exercise with the medical professional), it struck. She asked what my bodyfat percentage was. I knew from some spring testing that it was hovering around six percent.

A simple explanation, a simple problem, and a simple solution. When bodyfat dips below certain levels, the body begins to shut down non-essential processes in order to survive. In my case, it began taking down most hormone production - stuff essential for drive, recovery, motivation, and that ever fleeting "HTFU". In May, still in recovery from a broken wrist and Speedweek thrashing, my hematocrit was well into anemia and I had the testosterone levels of a menopausal woman. A few crashes coupled with a malnourished state was all it took to push my body over the edge, and make me feel like a shell of a human being for a few months. I didn't want to ride. I didn't want to write. I couldn't have an intelligent conversation. I didn't want to do anything. I wasn't depressed, I was simply vacant, like I had a permanent "Out to Lunch" sign hanging from my neck.

I presented the answer to Kevin Nicol (my coach), who in turn consulted Dr. Inigo San Millan. The answer? "Duh." Their collective response was something along the lines of not seeing healthy racers under nine percent bodyfat. It made sense. I'd become hell-bent on getting as skinny as possible over the winter. I've always had a really screwed-up body image of myself. Body dysmorphia is pretty common amongst cyclists. I was convinced that if I were to be competitive in anything with a hill, I needed to drop to around 145-150lbs with minuscule bodyfat numbers, even though the year before with good form I was able to hang with the best climbers in the US at 160lbs. So, I ran massive calorie deficits through the winter. Our title sponsor accused me of being "skinnier than a starved cat". He was right. At my lightest, I was tipping the scales at 147lbs. I'm 6'1. And I was still convinced I needed to lose more weight.

When the theory of the causality for my anemic performance surfaced, I immediately began eating. A lot. In fact, so much that when I journeyed to Boulder at the end of July to do some testing with Kevin and Dr. San Millan at the CU Anschutz Human Performance Lab, I was shocked I was able to pack on so much weight in about 2.5 weeks (somewhere around the weight of a standard Santa Cruz V-10 downhill frame) - and successfully brought my bodyfat up to the acceptable 10% metric.

Immediately, I started feeling better. I could train and recover. I felt like a cyclist (and a human) again, instead of a corpse on a bike. While it's too late to save 2012, the lesson I've learned this year is invaluable. I won't hit 2011 fitness levels before the year is out, but I can once again race without feeling like I'm on the verge of collapse every time the shit hits the fan.

I'm going to miss the Tour of Utah. It's going to be hard seeing the team line up and crush it without me. It's going to be tough knowing that I can't contribute on the roads I've ridden hundreds of times - but I've learned. 2012 might be a wash from a racing perspective, but the hell it's been has armed me to the teeth with wisdom that few others can match. I've got a few more races this year, and then I'll be heading to warmer climes as fall turns to winter. I know exactly what I need to do, and exactly how to do it.

The future is bright.
    Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: On Getting Too Damned Skinny

Thanks for sharing this Nate! Unfortunately, I'm in no danger of having too little body fat ;)

Jayme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add, glad you are feeling better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for these details. Glad you are on the other side of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're back on track and feeling better. I know a few guys who could benefit from this read...I'll pass it along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome!
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post

How exactly are you measuring expenditure? I've seen 600-800kcal's for hard riding in several publications. My Garmin 500 is carefully set and I read the info from the company that designed the calculations. It reads WAY less than that, like 300Kcal's per hour which just seems far too low. Is it somehow possible to calculate it from wattage with a PM (which I don't currently have unfortunately but did in the past)? I'd really like to monitor both sides of the equation but the expenditure part seems fleeting.
    If you had a PM in the past, do you still have some files, where you can look at expenditure for level of effort?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a seasons worth of power files from 2011. I also have this VO2 max test from 3 years ago. Here's a paste of my pathetic output and lung capacity:

Date: October 17th, 2009

Test Type: Bike (25 watt step)

Results: Peak VO2: 50.7 ml/kg*min
    Watts AT : 325 watts

Anaerobic Threshold (AT):
    VO2 AT : 275 watts
    VO2 (% of Peak) 86% of max
    HR AT : 153 bpm
    Watts AT : 275 watts
    Power : Weight: 3.24 watts / kg
    Total Kcal/min eT:18.7 kcal / min

Aerobic Threshold (AeT):
    VO2 AeT : 31.2 ml / kg*min
    VO2 (% of Peak) 62% of peak
    Heart Rate AeT :130 bpm
    Watts AeT : 175 watts
    Kcal Total AeT :13.0 kcal / min
    Kcal Fat AeT : 4.9 kcal / min
    Kcal CHO AeT : 8.1 kcal / min
    Percent Fat AeT :35% of total

How much will those 18 and 13 kcal/min vary with fitness? Those translate to 1080 and 780 kcals/hr which I always thought was optimistic as well.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't call those optimistic - but it's highly unlikely you're tooling around at aerobic and anaerobic threshold all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The importance of strength to endurance | Endurance Corner

the reasoning by which he arrives at his conclusions may be questioned, but I think there may be something to Couzens advocation of mass over w/kg.

I'm up to 77kg these days, but still lean (body fat % sames as at 70kg in 2009). W/kg is the same, about 4.3 now, should be 4.5 at peak. But, total power is much higher, which should translate to better on the flat, and a bit better in explosive situations.

ditching the natural mass your body wants to carry is probably pretty stupid unless your Wiggins and you have a realistic shot at hitting the top 5 in a grand tour. So, outside of a few dozen pros, you'll probably perform better in your races if you carry the mass that nature wants you to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing. Makes alot of sense.

Synchs with my humble experience, too. In my quest to compete at the national level, I worked with Dr. Paul Arciero (Skidmore College, Exercise Physiology) from 2009-2011. Over a 3 year period, at the age of 57, I went from 20+% BF to finally passing under 7% bodyfat in March 2011. I thought I had hit the season's race weight a little early but was glad I did "it."

Well, the joke was on me. Yep, I was under 7%...for 2 weeks, that is. And, then, just like that, all that hard work was gone. My body (and my hunger triggers) unconsciously reacted and boom, within a month, I was back up to 10% where I competed for the rest of the 2011 season.

I probably missed how old you are but at any age, holding 6% in a heavily cardiovascular, high-caloric output event like Pro/Cat 1 cycling is next to impossible. Even bodybuilders can only hold 6% or lower for a few contests per year.

Of course, I forgot to mention that Dr. Arciero kept telling me that he thought 7 was way too low for me, my event and especially for my age. But, who was I to listen to expertise and experience?!

thanks,
    bill
    ride hard. be well. have fun.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read this thread at least 10 times (well the original post) and its about time I thank you & say how much I appreciate it. After my junior career ended, I really let myself go. At one point, I was over 300 lbs. Today, I'm 172 (@ 6'5") but as a result of the severe up & down, I suffer from a serious case of dysmorphia (despite losing it slowly & very healthily over the course of years). I am hyper concerned with weight & appearance to what at times has been an unhealthy level and even showed signs of bulimia (where the 'purge' is excess exercise) as a 38-year-old male no less. Fortunately I have a very loving wife (who is also a physician) and a terrific therapist. I'm far from all together/figuring it all out,but I'm a ton better. Long story short, I loved the candor of this thread and related to your story very much. So thanks.