Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fat bikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fat bikes

Built up one of the SunRingle Mulefut rims yesterday. Went ahead and taped it up and put a tire on as well. A few thoughts:

I put one layer of the Hello Kitty tape on inside out to show through the cut outs (customer's daughters are really into Hello Kitty, so does this because they get a kick out of it, he supplied the tape). The tape was just wide nough to overlap the spoke nipples. Then I put a 1" wide strip of Gorilla tape along both bead hooks, it's wide enough to reach the sidewall and overlap the spoke nipples. The rims are actually double wall right at the bead hooks, and there are vent holes drilled there, so the tape needs to stretch from sidewall to sidewall to cover all the holes. Finally, one more layer of hello kitty tape (sticky side down this time) right down the center. That means there's no sticky sides of the tapes exposed anywhere, and there's three layers of tape over the spokes - I was worried about them puncturing through a single layer like Sean mentioned. Three layers still may not be enough, but I was trying to avoid using a rubber strip if possible to keep weight down. Only time will tell...

Mounting the tire I have (a VeeRubber Mission 4.0", tubeless ready/sealant compatible or whatever they call it) was easy, I needed just a little help from a lever to get the last bit on. I put a tube in and pumped it up, and the beads snapped into the bead hook with a light 'pop'. I let the air out of the tube (which takes forever! haha) and the beads stayed in place. I then pulled the tube out, leaving one of the beads locked in, and tried to pump the tire up tubeless. I don't have a compressor however, and couldn't move enough air to move the tire. I'm going to borrow a compressor tonight and see if it'll push that other bead into place.

So the bad news, which I expected with those HUGE tires, is you will need a compressor to seat them, you just can't move enough air with a floor pump, even a high volume pump and removing the valve core for more flow. Doesn't even make the tire flinch a bit.

The good news, once the tire lock into place, it will stay there. I had a really hard time getting the tire loose from the bead! I had to lay it down flat on the floor and push as hard as I could on the tire sidewall, putting all my weight into it, and then bounce a bit, before it finally let loose. That's good!

Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Those Hello Kitty wheels have seen some use ;)

Built up another set last week, using the White Industries SnoWhite hubs. Typical WI - aka, awesome. The flange spacing is equal, so only one spoke length is used all around, and there is no low tension side of either wheel. It's a good thing.

Bling. Bling.

Close up of the UST-ish bead.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Built up another set last week, using the White Industries SnoWhite hubs. Typical WI - aka, awesome. The flange spacing is equal, so only one spoke length is used all around, and there is no low tension side of either wheel. It's a good thing.

Bling. Bling.

Close up of the UST-ish bead.
    Dustin did some great work. Here they are - with tires - mounted tubeless - and the rest of the build. I've been out on it a few times and I can't help but smile every time I ride it.
    2014-10-17 09.15.34.jpg
    2014-10-17 09.15.24.jpg
    2014-10-17 09.15.11.jpg
    2014-10-17 09.16.09.jpg
    2014-10-17 09.15.02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy Lou owns Briarcliff Bike Works.

He just built this thing up...

Borealis Echo
    I9 Hubs, Sapims, Whiskey Carbon rims.
    Magura MT8's

Parking lot ride review...pretty "normal" feeling, I guess ... this thing weighs in at only 22 pounds!

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like

just a quick update...I've been in MD for the last ten days riding in Gambrill (Frederick), the Frederick watershed and out at Avalon (Catonsville/Elkridge). I've ridden the fat bike every day and have surmised that it's cheating when you're on the chunky stuff. There are dozens of lines that gave me a tough time when I used to ride them frequently and after hardly riding any tech in the past ten years I cleaned the majority of them on the first attempt while on the fat bike. I'd even go so far as to say that for these types of trails (slow and moderately to very technical) a rigid fatty with a short back end may very well be the perfect bike. The traction and cush that it provides is simply amazing.

I'll post another review of the HED Big Deal rims in a few weeks when I get home. The short story is that my buddy and I both broke the sidewalls of our rear rims on the same day. I need more time to look at them but the bottom line is that what I was told by their rep when I bought them vs my experience is not congruent and the way it appears they're going to handle the issue is disappointing.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain