Thread: Velocity A23 Experience

bicimechanic is offline VSalonistas

Default Velocity A23 Experience

So built up a set of A23's last night. Now I was never too impressed with Velocity years ago and this was the first Velocity rim I have built up in about 12 years. And I have built a lot of wheels. These are new and made in the USA. After lacing them up and bringing them up to tension I noticed that the spoke nipples do not follow a natural path exiting the rim. This is more pronounced on the non-drive side. This in turn is putting a very slight bend in the spoke where it exits the nipple. Not really optimal in my opinion. I though maybe it was just my imagination but I checked all the other wheels floating around here and these are the only ones doing this. Most of the other wheels I checked are rims with eyelets. Everything else has a nice straight path to the hub flange. I have not contacted Velocity about it yet since it's the weekend. Or maybe I'm just being too particular. Anyone else notice this? I tried to search on here for any info but came up short.

Jason Wright
    Baltimore, Maryland
    http://www.facebook.com/ServiceCourseCycleStudio

dgaddis is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Velocity A23 Experience

The holes are drilled straight through the rim, not angled out towards the flanges. So, the only angle you get at the nipple is due to however much play it has in the hole. A larger diamter hole and/or thinner spoke bed will allow a straighter path than a narrower hole and/or thicker spoke bed. Of course a larger diamter hole or thinner spoke bed would mean there's less material there to support the nipple.

The other wheels you looked at may have a larger nipple hole, since the eyelet will help spread out the load. Or the holes might be drilled at an angle.

Illuminaught is offline VSalonistas

I have a similar situation with a DeepV.

Vancouverdave is offline VSalonistas

I've not tried this on a Velocity rim, but maybe a VERY SLIGHT countersinking of the inside surface of each spoke hole; might help the nipple orient differently? I did this once when I had to drill a blank rim--very interesting mechanic's challenge.

sirbryanclark is offline VSalonistas

Perhaps using the Sapim Polyax nipples would eliminate the problem you are having? Polyax | Sapim

nash is offline VSalonistas

usually when we build with velocities we take a large drill bit and lightly (with our hands, not a drill) spin it from the outside of the rim so that it clears up any burrs and makes a slight bevel where the nipple sits. we've also had problems with burrs on the rim left from drilling.

Morgan is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    usually when we build with velocities we take a large drill bit and lightly (with our hands, not a drill) spin it from the outside of the rim so that it clears up any burrs and makes a slight bevel where the nipple sits. we've also had problems with burrs on the rim left from drilling.
    +1

I've had the same experience with Velocity and finding burrs in the nipple holes. With a light touch, I use a thin round file to clean them up.

Dave Thompson is offline VSalonistas

This is a case chamfering/de-burring tool from RCBS, used in ammunition reloading. Would something like this be handy for use in deburring the holes in rims? I've use one on 10s of thousands of cases in prep for reloading. Very easily used, cost about $15 and seems to last forever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

I have had the same experience with Velocity Aerohead rims. I don't really like it either but it has not proven to be a problem. But I would agree that it is a detail that Velocity should deal with.

You don't really notice it unless you look for it. Or build the wheels and notice it. Other than aesthetics, I don't think it's an issue.

Pictured is a Velocity Aerohead O/C. I have thousands of miles on it.

My name is James Edward Kile