Thread: Sram BB30 crank help needed

KonaSS is offline VSalonistas

Default Sram BB30 crank help needed

Need some pro mechanic help with my Sram BB30 crank.

Was trying to remove the crank from my bike. The normal process is you unscrew the 10mm bolt on the drive side. The bolt unscrews from the spindle, and pushes against a reverse threaded cap that acts as a fixing bolt, pushing the entire driveside crank and rings off the bike.

When unscrewing the 10mm bolt, it somehow also unsrewed the fixing cap (which was supposed to be reverse threaded). So the whole bolt and fixing cap came off the bike. But the crank arm is still on the spindle.

I talked to Sram, and they said they would look at the crank and replace if necessary, but I need to get the crank off the bike.

How can I get a BB30 crank off of the spindle without that bolt? I tried gently tapping with a rubber mallet, but it didn't budge. Any ideas?

Jawn P is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Sram BB30 crank help needed

Hit the extracting bolt with some strong-ish locktite and put it back on. Let it cure and try to remove it. Should come off.

SignatureJustin is offline VSalonistas

Reinstall bolt and extractor cap with Loctite. Grease between the two and try again.

It'll come off, that does happen on occasion not comepletely strange.
    Justin Bagnati - Signature Cycles
    justin@signaturecycles.com
    Instagram- JustinBagnati

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the threads on the cap and the crank where the cap screws into are damaged. It cross threaded itself when it was stuck to the 10mm bolt. This is what Sram said they would look at and replace if necessary. A cap is obviously cheap, but the crank arm would be pricey.

So, I threaded it back in, but the threads were so damaged that it wouldn't hold. The 10 bolt just pushed it right back out.

Any suggestions on how to remove without the use of the cap?

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the threads on the cap and the crank where the cap screws into are damaged. It cross threaded itself when it was stuck to the 10mm bolt. This is what Sram said they would look at and replace if necessary. A cap is obviously cheap, but the crank arm would be pricey.

So, I threaded it back in, but the threads were so damaged that it wouldn't hold. The 10 bolt just pushed it right back out.

Any suggestions on how to remove without the use of the cap?
    Unless the threads are very badly damaged a Bicycle Research Crank Arm Thread Chaser TC-8 will make it right. Most Dust caps are made of softer material than the threads or at least they are weaker. I've got this tool and use it all the time on corroded threads just as a clean up tool.

SignatureJustin is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Unless the threads are very badly damaged a Bicycle Research Crank Arm Thread Chaser TC-8 will make it right. Most Dust caps are made of softer material than the threads or at least they are weaker. I've got this tool and use it all the time on corroded threads just as a clean up tool.
    The chaser you speak of TT is for non BB30 bits. For square taper i believe.

You are probably stuck with a hammer on the crank bolt.
    Justin Bagnati - Signature Cycles
    justin@signaturecycles.com
    Instagram- JustinBagnati

You are probably stuck with a hammer on the crank bolt.
    I think this is it. I was looking for the best way to force the crank off with the least potential damage. I will need to find some kind of plug that fits into the bolt socket and hammer away.

Thanks!!!

Chooey is offline VSalonistas

I have a possible solution for you. You'll need someone to help you with this suggested method.

Hold the bike up by the crank you want removed. The side of the bike this crank is on will now be facing up towards the ceiling.

While you are holding the bike up only by the crank, get the help of someone to support the rear wheel in preparation for the next step.

Now, with a rubber mallet, tap squarely on the spindle. Combined with the weight of the bike, this should work the crank arm off.

Hope this works for you. Good luck!