Thread: Shimano 7700 Front Hub Cone

Eddie is offline VSalonistas

Default Shimano 7700 Front Hub Cone

About a year or more ago I inherited a set of 32h Dura-Ace 7700 hubs laced to a set of mis-matched tubular rims. Finally getting around to getting them set up as a file tread 'cross setup.

Disassembled, replaced bearings, and repacked. Rear is buttery smooth, couldn't be nicer. The front had apparently been used for some time with much too little preload, and as a result the cone on one side is etched really, really badly, about 3/4 of its circumference, and as a result the hub will not spin smoothly

I've searched high and low for a replacement cone for a Shimano 7700 front hub. All I can come up with are a few UK sites that have such a part listed, only out of stock. Wheels Manufacturing doesn't carry the part, nor does QBP, nor several other wholesalers I've checked with, nor Loose Screws, etc.

I know I could spend the rest of my life searching ebay and classifieds looking for someone selling a hub for parts, but I'm not up for that.

Anyone have a suggestion for a source for such a part? Any chance this part is re-purposed somewhere else in the Shimano lineup with a different part number?
    Last edited by Eddie; 11-30-2011 at 10:24 PM.

nahtnoj is online now VSalonistas

Default Re: Shimano 7700 Front Hub Cone

So I just got up off the couch and walked over to have a look at my 7700 hub. At first glance nothing about it looks unique to D/A - the finish on the locknut looks a little nicer though. I'd bet anything from that era or earlier would work.

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    About a year or more ago I inherited a set of 32h Dura-Ace 7700 hubs laced to a set of mis-matched tubular rims. Finally getting around to getting them set up as a file tread 'cross setup.

Disassembled, replaced bearings, and repacked. Rear is buttery smooth, couldn't be nicer. The front had apparently been used for some time with much too little preload, and as a result the cone on one side is etched really, really badly, about 3/4 of its circumference, and as a result the hub will not spin smoothly

I've searched high and low for a replacement cone for a Shimano 7700 front hub. All I can come up with are a few UK sites that have such a part listed, only out of stock. Wheels Manufacturing doesn't carry the part, nor does QBP, nor several other wholesalers I've checked with, nor Loose Screws, etc.

I know I could spend the rest of my life searching ebay and classifieds looking for someone selling a hub for parts, but I'm not up for that.

Anyone have a suggestion for a source for such a part? Any chance this part is re-purposed somewhere else in the Shimano lineup with a different part number?
    Pretty sure wheels mfg. has that part. That said I've yanked cones from all sorts of junked shimano hubs to match. IIRC DA cones are not as wide as Ultegra and lower. You might have to fiddle.

jamesand is offline VSalonistas

Polish with something gritty, then repack??

This reminds me I need to repack a 7700 front hub as well...
    Start slow, then taper off.

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    So I just got up off the couch and walked over to have a look at my 7700 hub. At first glance nothing about it looks unique to D/A - the finish on the locknut looks a little nicer though. I'd bet anything from that era or earlier would work.
    I wish it were that easy, but Shimano succeeded at not making any of the critical parts interchangeable. Bah. Thanks for the big effort from the couch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Pretty sure wheels mfg. has that part. That said I've yanked cones from all sorts of junked shimano hubs to match. IIRC DA cones are not as wide as Ultegra and lower. You might have to fiddle.
    Thanks bud. I will revisit the Wheels Mfg. site, but last time I looked I came across a chart that read "N/A" in the 7700 front cone column.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Polish with something gritty, then repack??

This reminds me I need to repack a 7700 front hub as well...
    This cone is well past that point, grooved way too deeply. I'm familiar with the TT Simichrome method, but I don't think this guy is a candidate.

Wow, Tristan you rock. That's the part. Any chance they carry the inner dust cap, part 22Z 0500? Those seem to have come loose from the hub and disappeared in moving. Wonder why US suppliers don't seem to carry these items? Perhaps this is a reflection of consumerism in regard to Kiwi ingenuity vs. Americans treating broken but repairable goods as disposable.

I was on the phone earlier with Wheels Mfg. and spoke with John there - he was super helpful, running around the stock room with a caliper measuring other Shimano cones to see what would work. I thought we settled on three different part numbers that would work, but after further inspection, it looks like the dust caps on the cones we were looking at are part of the cone unit, and therefore might in fact not work. I just pulled a Shimano 6500 front cone from another wheel to see if it would mesh with the 7700 and no dice. The dust cap on that unit is slightly larger than with the 7700 unit so it would not properly seat in the hub shell where the dust cap would be.

Let me hold off for a little bit while our guy Justin at Signature Cycles Greenwich checks with the Shimano rep up there. I think he's got some pull, as they sell more Di2 units between their two locations than any other LBS in North America.

Bssc is offline VSalonistas

Bikeman is usually very good for this sort of stuff for consumers here is the cone listings Bikeman: On-Line Store, you can also buy an entire kit for a reasonable price if you have lots Shimano hubs .

I have put 600 cone in DA hubs for track racers and they worked very well less friction from the dust caps

guyintense is offline VSalonistas

If you know anyone with a QBP account they have a Dura-Ace FH-7700 Left Cone with Dust Cap & Seal for $20.50.

Quote Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
    If you know anyone with a QBP account they have a Dura-Ace FH-7700 Left Cone with Dust Cap & Seal for $20.50.
    "FH" denotes the rear hub. Perhaps "freehub?"

Yes, it is confusing.

guyintense is offline VSalonistas

I get it now, rear FreeHub and HB for the front hub. I'm in a constant search for 7700 stuff, I'll let you know if I run across one. You used to be able to buy all those small parts from Shimano, I wonder who buys the old stock.
    Euro-Asia imports maybe?

nahtnoj is online now VSalonistas

I re-packed my 7700 front hub last night and dove into my 7700 rear tonight. Found this thread while searching.

My front hub suffered some sort of trauma that caused it to come slightly loose and expel most of its grease. Of course this happened on a ride in the rain. Took it apart, cleaned thoroughly, re-greased, and now smooth as glass.

After putting the front wheel back on the bike, I gave the rear a spin. It was rumbling and sounded like the freehub had issues. Once I pulled it apart, sure enough, the freehub race was pitted, and it had eaten up the drive side cone pretty badly too. Not to mention the tiny bearings behind the seal inside the body were rough. So I had a mess on my hands.

Fortunately, I had a brand new LX M570 hub in my basement. I was able to use the freehub, bearings (18 1/4"), and drive side cone out of the M570 to rebuild the 7700. The cone was slightly different (7700 had an integrated seal wheras the M570 didn't) but I took a chance since the overall thickness/stack of each was the same. The NDS cone was different, mostly due to sealing methods. But I suppose any DS cone from that era of freehub body style (8/9 speed, XT 750/760, 5500, 6500, etc.) will work fine.

Front 7700 has an OS alloy axle, which later versions of D/A rear got too.

coolberto hipsterdor is offline VSalonistas

I have a box with a bunch of old shimano cones, I'm sure one could be made to work, send me a pm if you can't find any new ones.

coolberto hipsterdor is offline VSalonistas

Whoops old thread my bad

Yo Jon, thanks for bringing this one back.

The wheel is still sitting, as it was in the basement, for over a year now. Sad, I know. I mounted a Grifo XS to the rear wheel, and it was run in combo with a Fango front for some dry, fast courses early in the season.

Coolberto - I can take some pics and send them over, thanks so much for the offer. Otherwise, I should just fix the thing with a close-enough cone, call it done, and put these wheels in service, right?

Gattonero is offline VSalonistas

Resuming this thread as I've inherited a pair or 7700.

The rear is in lovely conditions, the front will need 1 (one only) cone as it is pitted.
    Gave to the rusty cone a quick go with Dremel, but only small improvement has been achieved.
    Needless to say, the part is discontinued in UK

The front cones of the 7700 are very specific, as the cone has a sleeve that is ribbed to give way for the ball-bearings, still mantaining an OS alloy axle. Engineering finesse. But trouble when a replacement is needed.
    $T2eC16hHJGYE9nookPZnBQbe6-4Oe!~~60_12.JPG

Anyone knows where to source one cone, or the whole axle?

Cheers!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Tristan is offline VSalonistas

I get an email a week from this thread for people looking for cones. We don't have any and cant' get any more.

Gattonero is offline VSalonistas

I appreciate that.

Maybe someone has stock left?
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"