Thread: seeking XTR v brake setup advice

coolberto hipsterdor is offline VSalonistas

Default seeking XTR v brake setup advice

Long story short my cross bike has xtr v brakes with cane creek levers. The back brake works great but the front squeals like a burning pig in a megaphone factory. I've tried the matching front pads that went with the backs, new pads, many different toe settings, several wheels, etc... I'm about ready to ditch them seeing as I just built a bike for a friend that has 'normal' v brakes frankensteined from multiple beat up sets + new pads (same pads I have now) and there was no squealing. Not only that but they had more braking power than my XTR brakes. The fork is an aluminum redline one ~10ys old probably.

I'm thinking it's some kind of anti-synergy between the brake and fork but I want to humbly ask for advice here since I figure some of you guys have used these things in the past and might know some tricks. Thanks.

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Default Re: seeking XTR v brake setup advice

Do some searches here. Tons of threads on this.
    1. Do you race CX or training/ride in dirt alot or is this road use?
    2. Clean the rims really well with scotchbrite pads and dawn soap, report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do some searches here. Tons of threads on this.
    1. Do you race CX or training/ride in dirt alot or is this road use?
    2. Clean the rims really well with scotchbrite pads and dawn soap, report back.
    The bike hasn't seen much offroad or cross action yet but part of the reason I wanted it was so I could do so when I wanted to, as I am primarily a road cyclist. For now I just use this thing for road use when I need a bike with studded tires and fenders. I haven't cleaned this particular rim with dawn and a scrubby but I guess I might as well try just for the sake of being thorough. It did squeal with a wheel from a road bike as well as the original wheel the bike came with which is disassembled now.

I'll get to searching!

sam
    sam is offline VSalonistas

what generation of xtr brakes, how old are they. some were prone to the parallell movement getting wear and needing rebuilt, also how much does the fork flex outward when pressing brakes.

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    what generation of xtr brakes, how old are they. some were prone to the parallell movement getting wear and needing rebuilt,
    This.

Bssc is offline VSalonistas

early v brakes had this issue they came out with a kit to mitigate the issue

They are m951. The fork does not flex visibly when applying the brakes, maybe 1mm total. I cleaned the rim for good measure but it was already fairly clean and it made no difference. I'm guessing mine are the early ones, I guess I could try to rebuild them although I am not sure if they need it because they pivot smoothly and don't seem to have excessive play; far less play in fact than the crappy v brakes I just set up on a different bike that work perfectly...

Unoveloce is offline VSalonistas

The play in the brake that causes the squealing isn't coming from the brake posts. It's coming from all those little pivots that make up the parallel push linkage. The squealing was built in to remind you it's time to rebuild them. If they continue to wear and get even looser, it's not uncommon for the pads to walk upward and slice the sidewall of the tire. The rebuild kit was a bunch of tiny shims/washers designed to eliminate the slop in the linkage. Good luck finding one. Here's what the instructions looked like.

SI-B950B XTR V-Brake rebuild kit instructions | Retrobike

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Unoveloce View Post
    The play in the brake that causes the squealing isn't coming from the brake posts. It's coming from all those little pivots that make up the parallel push linkage. The squealing was built in to remind you it's time to rebuild them. If they continue to wear and get even looser, it's not uncommon for the pads to walk upward and slice the sidewall of the tire. The rebuild kit was a bunch of tiny shims/washers designed to eliminate the slop in the linkage. Good luck finding one. Here's what the instructions looked like.

Learn something new every day. I didn't know there was such a thing as an XTR v-brake rebuild kit.

I've got a few pairs of that vintage XTR v-brakes. I'll have to remember this.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Unoveloce View Post

Thanks for the info. I wish there were a parts callout with dimensions and quantity of all the little parts. Sigh...

kyle is offline VSalonistas

I had a similar issue on my old Schwinn hardtail. My XTRs had an incredible amount of play. I'm now on Avid SD Ultimates. Possibly the only avid to never squeal? ;)

andrew flowers is offline VSalonistas

parellel push brakes were bogus, and now you found out why.

replace em with a set of avid sd 7's and never look back

that being said the xtr lever from that era was likely the finest ever made, so they did one thing right

Yeah, I'm just gonna replace them eventually.

TimT is offline VSalonistas

McMaster Carr has a great selection of small shims and washers in brass. Take some measurements with a pair of calipers and have a look through their catolog.

Tim

Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista

the early models were shit for this. it got fixed. not seen probs with later models.

the avid with that pivot arch was ok alt at the time but basically pos. xtrs are way better.

modern tiagra are good too.