Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Nice, fat (27-28c) clinchers

GRAVELBIKE is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Nice, fat (27-28c) clinchers

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    On the subject of tubeless... has anyone tried the Hutchinson Sector 28?
    Yup. Nice-riding tires. You can read my review here.

I've found that Panaracer's Gravelking offers a similar ride quality, even with tubes.

Will Neide is offline VSalonistas

Clement LGG 28c mounted on I9 ULCX wheels (21mm inner width) = 29.05mm wide at 90psi. Easily cleared my Enve Road Disc fork. The wider rim doesn't really make the tire taller, just wider.

Also, tire weighed 236g for the bean counters. I only weighed one of the two.

Haven't ridden them yet, so no real world thoughts on it.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

www.wilcocycleworks.com
    Flickr

Zandr Martin is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Clement LGG 28c mounted on I9 ULCX wheels (21mm inner width) = 29.05mm wide at 90psi. Easily cleared my Enve Road Disc fork. The wider rim doesn't really make the tire taller, just wider.

Also, tire weighed 236g for the bean counters. I only weighed one of the two.

Haven't ridden them yet, so no real world thoughts on it.
    I have 1200-1300 miles on a set. They ride nicely at 80psi. (I'm 190-200lbs.) Lots of cuts on the rear but only one flat so far when a tiny piece of rock or road debris put a small hole in the tube. More of a leak than a flat but I swapped the tube anyway. I'm a fan.

tamaso is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX and/or ONE vs. Compass / Grand Bois

Quote Originally Posted by tamaso View Post
    Got a set of 28mm Schwalbe ONE clinchers on the way, so I will report soon on how they do with my own 'way overbuilt' chunkers, ha.
    So far, so good! The 28mm ONEs are just barely undersized on a 'normal' width rim (Open Pro) and closer to 29mm on a 'wide' road rim (H+Son Archetype), round shape on both rims but even less 'tall' on the wide rims. Casing feels very light / supple and the ride has been incredibly smooth over crappy city streets and some gravel dirt miles so far... Feels wider than it is, in a good way. Durability looks promising at the moment, but time will tell, obviously.
    Tamaso Johnson

Greensabbath is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX and/or ONE vs. Compass / Grand Bois

Quote Originally Posted by tamaso View Post
    So far, so good! The 28mm ONEs are just barely undersized on a 'normal' width rim (Open Pro) and closer to 29mm on a 'wide' road rim (H+Son Archetype), round shape on both rims but even less 'tall' on the wide rims. Casing feels very light / supple and the ride has been incredibly smooth over crappy city streets and some gravel dirt miles so far... Feels wider than it is, in a good way. Durability looks promising at the moment, but time will tell, obviously.
    I've been very interested in the tubeless version of these but the availability date from QBP keeps moving back. I have been riding Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28 which measure about 29 on an archetype rim and they have been fairly quick, decently comfortable and very durable.

nrs5000 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Probably makes sense to put a tire you know on a new wheel so you can see how the wheel rides vs trying to figure out if it's wheel or tire. I'm interested in how you compare the Nucleons to the Belgiums as I'm considering them for another set of tubs. I had them in clincher 32/32 and they rode well. While I have a set of Record hubs I'm thinking 32/32 on the Belgium tub may be a bit harsh based on what I've read some other places...

Also interested in what you think of the Schwalbe One tubs.

But since this is a clincher thread I'll say I always really liked my Open Pave CGs with latex tubes. I rode them in 24 and if/when I decide the Ultremo ZXs in 28s are ready for retirement I'd like to consider the Open Paves in 27, the new Schwalbe One or the Compass for a fatter clincher.
    The Nucleons have been serviced and I put the Schwalbe Ones on them. Fantastic combination, they cornered beautifully and confidently.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345