Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Multiple pedal thread standards?

  1. #1
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Multiple pedal thread standards?

    I was setting up a beater rain bike today and tried to install a pair of modern-ish Time RXS pedals on an old Record crank set from the 1980s. Previously, and for the last 20+ years, I had installed various iterations of the original Time Equip Pros from the same 80s era (I love the wide range of motion of the old Times).

    When I tried to thread the newer RXS pedals in, they would bind about a turn after the threads started to catch. Same on both cranks, I was careful not to cross thread, and there was plenty of grease. I used just a bit of force for a small fraction of a turn, thinking perhaps there was dirt, but afterwards I could see a tiny bit of silver on the pedal thread when I inspected. The original Equip Pros thread of the way in with just hand pressure. Figured I should post here before stuffing things up any more than I have already.

    I thought all pedal threads were a standard pitch. Not so?

  2. #2
    Noteddy is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Pretty hard to imagine, but you [I]could[I] have a French threaded crank. From his holiness Sheldon brown:

    "Most French bikes sold in the U.S. used standard thread pedals:
    9/16" x 20 TPI (14.29 mm x 1.27)
    But older bikes made for the French market used a slightly smaller thread:
    14 mm x 1.25 (.551" x 20.32 TPI)
    If your cranks are made for standard-thread pedals, a French-thread pedals will fit in, but be very loose and will be unusable. It is not possible to put a standard pedal into a French crank without considerable violence.
    It is possible to re-tap French cranks to take standard pedals. Use standard 9/16" x 20 taps."

    By the 80's many Campy cranks had the threading (9/16 x 20) marked on the back of the crank arm. If in doubt take it to your LBS and the should have a set of taps they can run through to bring them up to spec.

    In any case, it sounds like you should have the threads chased, or risk trashing the cranks and the pedals.

  3. #3
    zetroc is online now VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    1,722

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Any chance the drive side crank came off of a tandem?
    steve cortez

    FNG

  4. #4
    Noteddy is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Any chance the drive side crank came off of a tandem?
    Brilliant thought.

    On rereading with both eyes open, it sounds like you have had pedals in these cranks before? If that's the case, and the new pedals seem clean and have been in cranks before, I'm baffled. I'd probably still run a tap through them.

  5. #5
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    Pretty hard to imagine, but you [I]could[I] have a French threaded crank. From his holiness Sheldon brown:

    "Most French bikes sold in the U.S. used standard thread pedals:
    9/16" x 20 TPI (14.29 mm x 1.27)
    But older bikes made for the French market used a slightly smaller thread:
    14 mm x 1.25 (.551" x 20.32 TPI)
    If your cranks are made for standard-thread pedals, a French-thread pedals will fit in, but be very loose and will be unusable. It is not possible to put a standard pedal into a French crank without considerable violence.
    It is possible to re-tap French cranks to take standard pedals. Use standard 9/16" x 20 taps."

    By the 80's many Campy cranks had the threading (9/16 x 20) marked on the back of the crank arm. If in doubt take it to your LBS and the should have a set of taps they can run through to bring them up to spec.

    In any case, it sounds like you should have the threads chased, or risk trashing the cranks and the pedals.

    Thanks. I just checked and, yep, the cranks are marked 9/16 X 20 F.
    Last edited by professerr; 12-01-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: forgot quote

  6. #6
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    Brilliant thought.

    On rereading with both eyes open, it sounds like you have had pedals in these cranks before? If that's the case, and the new pedals seem clean and have been in cranks before, I'm baffled. I'd probably still run a tap through them.
    It is possible the drive side crank came off a tandem -- I bought it off someone in college in the the 1980s -- but very, very unlikely since he was a racer.

    Yep, I used to run old Time Equip Pros in the cranks, and the Time RXS's I want to install previously lived happily in some Campagnolo 10-Speed Record cranks.

    Threads are clean, but not spotless. Maybe there's something there.

  7. #7
    Bssc is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    OG sin city
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    unless you want to cut new threads never use a tap to chase threads use a chasing tap

    measure the threads it is you best bet for figuring out the issue

  8. #8
    Jukebox is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post
    unless you want to cut new threads never use a tap to chase threads use a chasing tap

    measure the threads it is you best bet for figuring out the issue
    How do the old pedals from this crank fit into a modern crank, like your 10speed record?

  9. #9
    j44ke's Avatar
    j44ke is online now VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,056

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    My brain is foggy due to a cold, but as I remember the older Campagnolo cranks were threaded the same thread pitch as modern pedals (given the same thread standard designation) but "threadform" is different slightly. Most threads are V shaped, but there can be variances in the shape of that V. I think the old Campagnolo pedal threads have a more acute (sharper?) V than newer pedal threads which I think are blunter at the point of the V. So when you thread in newer pedals (I don't remember when this changed) you are reshaping the threads a bit, which is probably better done with a chasing tap.

  10. #10
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
    How do the old pedals from this crank fit into a modern crank, like your 10speed record?
    Good question. I just tried the old Time pedals (from late 80s or early 90s) and they will thread into the new 10 speed record cranks, but they are a very loose fit and wobble. The spindles of the old Time pedals bear the marking "9/16 X 20" (well, actually, they are worn and all thats left just says "/16 X 2"). So it appears both the old Record cranks and the old Time pedals use the modern, normal 9/16 X 20 thread standard. Yet the old Time pedals don't fit the modern, normal 10 speed Record cranks, nor do the old Record cranks fit the modern, normal Time pedals. I'm baffled. All threads clear of gunk too.

  11. #11
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My brain is foggy due to a cold, but as I remember the older Campagnolo cranks were threaded the same thread pitch as modern pedals (given the same thread standard designation) but "threadform" is different slightly. Most threads are V shaped, but there can be variances in the shape of that V. I think the old Campagnolo pedal threads have a more acute (sharper?) V than newer pedal threads which I think are blunter at the point of the V. So when you thread in newer pedals (I don't remember when this changed) you are reshaping the threads a bit, which is probably better done with a chasing tap.
    Hmm...perhaps this is the issue.

  12. #12
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Took the bike to the LBS. They chased the threads and all is good. They weren't really sure what the issue was, said something about oxidation, and confirmed the crank threads were standard threads that, post-chased, worked fine with modern pedals. The end.

  13. #13
    devlin's Avatar
    devlin is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Qld. Australia
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Bike shops are awesome!
    "Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

    Sean Doyle

  14. #14
    professerr is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Postscript: One thing still bothers me. The old Time pedals from the '80, which now have been confirmed to have standard threads and were threaded for many years in standard threaded cranks, now don't fit my modern standard thread cranks. They are too loose and wobble. Weird.

  15. #15
    j44ke's Avatar
    j44ke is online now VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,056

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Again, I think it is the threadform difference. Now that your old cranks have been chased, you will likely find that the old pedals will be a bit looser on those as well.

    There definitely was a change. At one point, I had three old cranksets - NR and SR - and when I switched them from ancient Look pedals to the new Keo pedals, I had to do a little work. It wasn't wear and tear on the threads - there was a difference. But it wasnt thread pitch, so I read around and found reference to threadform changes in another field (cars I think) that had to do with automation. So things could be assembled quickly with machines or power tools or whatever, the shape of the thread (threadform) was changed (but pitch was not.) I don't know for sure, but I suspect the same change occurred in bicycle stuff as well. And perhaps only pedal threading as it may have used a tighter fitting threadform than other areas because of the inherent stress. Who knows? Once it is fixed, as you said, done.

  16. #16
    Hindmost's Avatar
    Hindmost is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Regarding old cranksets, NR and SR, I heard one story that the factory taps were so worn that a tight fit would result.

    And another: Stuck Pedal Removal by Jobst Brandt ...that the tight fit was intentional. Maybe this leads back to a change in threadform?
    ...just to win a salami in ridiculous races.

  17. #17
    Bssc is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    OG sin city
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    hopefully it was a real chase and not a cut if they cut it will cause this issue because of material removed making a deep V grove instead of a more U as done by factories

  18. #18
    Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,293

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    you have been virtually bathed in pedal threads. one more heart.

  19. #19
    bikinchris is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Broussard, LA
    Posts
    622

    Default Re: Multiple pedal thread standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
    Regarding old cranksets, NR and SR, I heard one story that the factory taps were so worn that a tight fit would result.

    And another: Stuck Pedal Removal by Jobst Brandt ...that the tight fit was intentional. Maybe this leads back to a change in threadform?
    I can verify that most Campy cranks have very "tight" threading and sometimes had to be tapped to clean out the threads before a pedal can be installed without problems. it has happened probably dozens of times in the hundreds of Campy equipped bikes I have built.
    Good cyclists are:
    Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

    They also use the five layers of protection available.
    Layer 1: Control your bike
    Layer 2: Know and follow the rules of the road
    Layer 3: Ride in the smartest lane position
    Layer 4: Manage hazards skillfully
    Layer 5: Utilize passive protection.

    Chris, Broussard, LA

Similar Threads

  1. Multiple Width Hubsets, Single Frame - Viable or Bad Idea?
    By Matthew J in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
  2. New BB standards and their benefits.
    By Future design in forum The VSalon Frame Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
  3. multiple VSalon threads
    By mjbabcock in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
  4. Lightweight Gen 2 Standards
    By Z3c in forum Classifieds Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
  5. Rocket 7 shoes in multiple sizes.
    By jerk in forum Classifieds Classic
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •