Thread: M988 XTR levers with M820 Saint calipers?

Applesauce is offline VSalonistas

Default M988 XTR levers with M820 Saint calipers?

Anyone know if the servo-wave XTR levers are compatible with the four-pot Saint 820 calipers? Just curious...

Applesauce is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: M988 XTR levers with M820 Saint calipers?

Got my answer, if anyone else cares: it's a "B-fit" at best. Shimano tech says it'd work, but "feel like an Avid." I think given the awesomeness of plain ol' XTR, I'll just stick with them.

mjcedeno is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: M988 XTR levers with M820 Saint calipers?

this is the response I got from Shaun (Yeti Cycles Mechanic) about this mix...

" I set Jared's brakes up with the M820 Calipers, XTR Hose and XTR race levers. You also need to use the banjo bolt from the M820 calipers, as the xtr one is far too long. The xtr hose with the silver banjo on the end is the newest version of the high power shimano hose and it seemed to give the best result to the overall feel of the brake. Of course you could use the saint hose with the gold banjo, but we chose to stay with the xtr to keep the amount of gold colour to a minimum. The XTR race lever option is because of the feel of the lever. The xtr trail has the servowave adjustability, and although can have slightly more power, also always has the tiniest amount of "squish" at the lever pull. The xtr race levers pull in and feel super solid. This is how jared likes his brakes to feel. And trust me, there is no more powerful trailbike brake than this setup. He has had no problem with brake fade, lever pump, loss of power. There has only been 2 EWS races so far that we've bothered to run a bigger front rotor. Most of the time on the 160mm icetech's. I'll be trying to get him on the new freezer rotors soon, which should step the power up again.
    Hope that answers your question!
    Shaun. "

Hope this helps anyone who is researching about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Got my answer, if anyone else cares: it's a "B-fit" at best. Shimano tech says it'd work, but "feel like an Avid." I think given the awesomeness of plain ol' XTR, I'll just stick with them.