Thread: good to great alternative to Clean Streak ?

Bssc is offline VSalonistas

Default good to great alternative to Clean Streak ?

I like how fast it works when needed but the expense keeps me from using it much and going for an alternative that is slow that I have no time for

I 'd like to keep it cheap and with lintel harm to me or the environment aerosol is my way to go especially for seal bearing that I am working on

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Default Re: good to great alternative to Clean Streak ?

I'd love to hear the answer. You are right, sprays are the way to go. Several yrs. ago T.K. got me onto pressurized reusable spray bottles for chain lube and if you were to find a "green" brake cleaner maybe you'd be onto something?

Check this out: brake cleaner, brake parts cleaner, environmental brake clean, parts cleaner, quick evaporating brake clean, bulk brake cleaner

I have some of the original Pedro's pressurized reusable aerosol cans use to put the green cleaner in it but once it is atomized it bothers my respiratory system tremendously. Clean streak does not bother me I do have a can of green brake cleaner I just did my brakes so I will give that a whirl see if it works or is a bother. There is noting better than blowing out crap from a chain in a few seconds with an aerosol under time constraints.

stuff I know works but is not great to use in a shop area gas, lamp oil, kerosene, mineral spirits, carburetor cleaner, diesel, paint thinner, acetone ,

I am going to the local auto body supply house and see what they have for metal preps since Clean streak is touted as being a metal prep too.

deepsix is offline VSalonistas

The challenge is that most comparable products eat plastic and finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post
    I have some of the original Pedro's pressurized reusable aerosol cans use to put the green cleaner in it but once it is atomized it bothers my respiratory system tremendously. Clean streak does not bother me I do have a can of green brake cleaner I just did my brakes so I will give that a whirl see if it works or is a bother. There is noting better than blowing out crap from a chain in a few seconds with an aerosol under time constraints.

stuff I know works but is not great to use in a shop area gas, lamp oil, kerosene, mineral spirits, carburetor cleaner, diesel, paint thinner, acetone ,

I am going to the local auto body supply house and see what they have for metal preps since Clean streak is touted as being a metal prep too.
    Dunno if this fits the bill but you did mention dirty chains. True confession, I LOVE WD40 and a shop rag for blowing all the garbage out of dirty chains. Works a charm. Wipe it off and replace with good dripo lube...clean the big ring and you are done.

Oregonic is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dunno if this fits the bill but you did mention dirty chains. True confession, I LOVE WD40 and a shop rag for blowing all the garbage out of dirty chains. Works a charm. Wipe it off and replace with good dripo lube...clean the big ring and you are done.
    Do you have to let things dry out a bit before applying the lube, to get rid of the solvent effects of the WD40? Or is it pretty much just ready for lube once you wipe it off?

Lazer is offline VSalonistas

Try trichloroethane, if you can get your hands on some.

I hate WD and will not allow it anywhere near me it also is a bother to my senses my nose runs terribly from the smell

tried CRC green brake cleaner today it works but is not a replacement you can smell the atomized acetone and acetone eats plastic

I guess at this point I just may have to live with the pricing of Clean streak

hrmmm I wonder about Morgan Blue in an aerosol form I must get my hands on some again , I was given some to try this summer on the pro tour

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonic View Post
    Do you have to let things dry out a bit before applying the lube, to get rid of the solvent effects of the WD40? Or is it pretty much just ready for lube once you wipe it off?
    Yes. Wipe it off, let it dry up for 10 mins.

dhoff is offline VSalonistas

I use Bosheild T9 aerosol for the chain. I do it after every ride, spray, rub with a rag and done. This may not be as good as what some of you are doing. I would be happy to learn something new.
    ExecutiveDirector@Ultracycling.com
    The UMCA

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore. ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Applesauce is offline VSalonistas

I use Würth brake cleaner in a refillable hand-pump bottle. Good stuff. (I have the advantage of being able simply to refill my bottle at work...)

Having said that, I almost never clean my bikes with such serious solvents. I just find they don't need it... Maybe I'm just really good at keeping them clean?

mmuurr is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    you may want to do more than simply let the WD-40 dry.
    once the primary solvent (which is basically just mineral spirits) evaporates away, you'll be left with a thin layer of mineral oil.
    normally, i'd say the mineral oil is good, but you likely then apply another chain lube on top of this mineral oil layer, and depending on the (non)mixing properties of the two you may be getting substantially reduced effectiveness of the chain lube (i.e. it might be more easily displaced during movement due to undercoat of mineral oil).
    a few wipe-downs with a rag dabbed with mineral spirits will help remove that oil layer prior to application of your lubricant of choice.
    (but this then begs the question of why not just clean with the mineral spirits in the first place... i guess the aerosol application of WD-40 is really what you're after?)

i just wipe down my chain every few hundred miles (or after every wet ride) with ProGold.
    then more rarely i'll soak the chain in mineral spirits for a more thorough cleaning.

mmuur - Yep. The WD in a can is hands down the fastest path to a clean chain after it has been trashed. I've never had a problem re-applying after.