Thread: Garmin 500 vs Iphone (strava)

DKeg is offline VSalonistas

Default Garmin 500 vs Iphone (strava)

I recently got a IPhone and started using the Strava app. I have been using a Garmin 500. I have used every setting on the Garmin during my commutes. It does not seem to matter which one I use, I basically come up with the same distance. I ran both on the same commute home the other day. I got 5/10th of a mile more distance on the IPhone (strava) then on the Garmin. I know that does not sound like a lot. But my commute is fairly short, 15 miles. Since I am tracking mileage, over a year that adds up. I know this sounds anal. That is because I am anal when it comes to logging my rides.

So the question is, which do you think is more accurate? does anyone know the sampling rate on the IPhone? Should I go pound sand?

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Garmin 500 vs Iphone (strava)

I think you need to stop tracking your commutes with a GPS.
    Maybe the iPhone is heavier and makes you weave.
    my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

I suggest you to record the very same ride with both tools and zoom in the record on the strava map. You may see a more precise record with the garmin device.

I used to record my ride with a third party software on my old palm pixi as there was no strava map available. I used it only to track my mileage and log some average speed, not as a proper training tool or to beat koms. It looked on the map as if I was riding under influence. Now I am using the official strava app on my newer android phone. The tracking is more precise, not perfect but it doesn't look like I'm offroading all over the place anymore.

Bobqzz is offline VSalonistas

Use a well calibrated conventional wheel sensor computer and measure the real distance. No doubt it will be different than either the Garmin or iPhone but will be the closest to "correct"

roseyscot is offline 2KClub

i admit, i like to track my miles too (i think it is especially useful for bike maintenance purposes), but consider focusing on your time instead. you may notice many cyclists talk in terms of hours, not miles when referring to their training logs.

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    i admit, i like to track my miles too (i think it is especially useful for bike maintenance purposes), but consider focusing on your time instead. you may notice many cyclists talk in terms of hours, not miles when referring to their training logs.
    My Log is not really for training. It's just a record. I have in the past been part of a Flickr photo group that photo documents your year in riding. I did not do it this year. So I have been keeping a excel doc to log my rides. I use strava to see how I do against other people for the fun of it.

I will try a conventional cyclo computer.

Chris Yates is offline VSalonistas
    Saratoga Springs, New York, United States

I'd put my money on the Garmin. I also use Strava and Bike Tracks on the iphone to log my mileage. For the hell of it, I logged my CX race on Sunday. The iphone didn't do a good job at capturing all the twists and turns on the CX course. Unfortunately, I don't have a Garmin to compare it to, but a Garmin only has to do one thing.

You know I never thought of that. I just happened to have a scale at work so I weighted them both. And the IPhone is 213 grams heavier. I also remember that I ride with the Iphone in my right jersey pocket. Since it is heavier it could be throwing off my center of gravity and balance causing me to weave. To test your theory, I will ride home tonight with the Iphone in the center pocket and then compare distances. And to really put your theory to the test. I will ride with the Iphone in my left jersey pocket tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Maybe the iPhone is heavier and makes you weave.

Noteddy is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    Use a well calibrated conventional wheel sensor computer and measure the real distance. No doubt it will be different than either the Garmin or iPhone but will be the closest to "correct"
    This with a twist, if you really want to be consistent.

Spring for the wheel/cadence unit for your Garmin 500. It will calibrate the wheel size everytime you get on the bike. I just like cadence info, but with this on, it is astonishingly consistent. It also appears to use the wheel size to interpolate and improve on GPS data. If you go through a tunnel or lose the satellites, it will use the wheel info.

Notice what happens when you use your phone for navigation. It is often a little late in telling you where to turn. It's doing it's best, but it's not going to match the dedicated machine.

cody.wms is offline VSalonistas

Yeah, if you want to really be exact about it, get the cadence/speed sensor. Mine fluctuates a bit depending on tree cover/buildings but it doesn't bother me.

theflashunc is offline VSalonistas

My iPhone Strava app has been either wildly optimistic of pessimistic when compared with friends who ride the same route and use a Garmin.

I chalk it up as the price of having a free app on my phone.