Thread: ENVE seatpost clamps - problems with slippage

TomW is offline VSalonistas

Default ENVE seatpost clamps - problems with slippage

Hi all,

I've got a ENVE seatpost with their normal wedge design seatpost clamp and am having slippage problems with it. From discussions with my road group here others have had similar issues but had no easy fixes. As background, I use a torque wrench to tighten it within the specified guidelines and I can just keep on turning without stop... that's fine but no matter how far I tighten it I get slippage.

I'm a big guy - 6ft2 and 90kg - but not that big so wouldn't have thought I would have these problems. I also feel that I am over-tightening it irrespective of whether I am within the torque guidelines. Any suggestions on this or anyone faced similar problems?

A picture of the screw and clamp below in, which I feel, is its over-torqued position is below.

8289058507_f154385a7c.jpg

fa63 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: ENVE seatpost clamps - problems with slippage

Have you tried any sort of friction paste? Also, what does Enve have to say about the situation? I imagine the clamps should be fine for a 90 kg rider, but I would still be curious what they have to say about the slippage.

htono is offline VSalonistas

Had the same problem, and <i'm 140 lbs.
    Literally threw the post in the garbage bin.
    un abrazo,
    Henrique Tono

Quote Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
    Have you tried any sort of friction paste? Also, what does Enve have to say about the situation? I imagine the clamps should be fine for a 90 kg rider, but I would still be curious what they have to say about the slippage.
    Haven't got in touch with ENVE directly but just had a look at their guide for installation on their website here. It seems that you can now torque it as hard as you want (or 12N) and they only recommend greasing the screw and the inside of the plates.

I think what I am going to do is use friction paste on the outside of the wedge even if they don't directly recommend it.

From what the guys riding here say and Henrique's comment it doesn't appear to be an unusual problem.

turkish is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    Haven't got in touch with ENVE directly but just had a look at their guide for installation on their website here. It seems that you can now torque it as hard as you want (or 12N) and they only recommend greasing the screw and the inside of the plates.

I think what I am going to do is use friction paste on the outside of the wedge even if they don't directly recommend it.

From what the guys riding here say and Henrique's comment it doesn't appear to be an unusual problem.
    Use friction paste or carbon grease. I'm using this from Pace in a Bonty XXX lite seatpost clamp.
    :

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Been there done that. I use the same post on my IF S&S bike it is terrific now that we have a understanding. The portions that rotate against the fixed seatpost must be squeaky clean or it will slip. If you don't use a metric @#%$-ton of force...it will slip / creak / cause mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    The portions that rotate against the fixed seatpost must be squeaky clean or it will slip. If you don't use a metric @#%$-ton of force...it will slip / creak / cause mental illness.
    Too Tall - just to check I'm not being stupid you mean the outside of the clamp? I.e the circular periphery of the wedge which slots into the post itself. I was going to friction paste that but maybe I should just give it a good clean?

jim d is offline VSalonistas

hey tom,
    not sure but from the picture you posted it looks like maybe you have the wrong hardware for your saddle rail size.
    enve sells both standard size and oversized rail hardware. maybe you have the oversized hardware and can't get it tight enough on your standard rails.
    just a thought..
    http://www.enve.com/seatposts.aspx
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    Too Tall - just to check I'm not being stupid you mean the outside of the clamp? I.e the circular periphery of the wedge which slots into the post itself. I was going to friction paste that but maybe I should just give it a good clean?
    Try a good cleaning. I did read what Jim says however I don't think yours are oversized. The post should have come with both the normal and OS hardware.

yeah, it was just a thought. i haven't had the problem with mine *knock on wood*
    i have just never seen the wedge all the way in with that many exposed threads sticking out with a saddle installed.
    something just seems "off" to me.
    good luck with the post tom.
    j

Quote Originally Posted by jim d View Post
    yeah, it was just a thought. i haven't had the problem with mine *knock on wood*
    i have just never seen the wedge all the way in with that many exposed threads sticking out with a saddle installed.
    something just seems "off" to me.
    good luck with the post tom.
    j
    Uhhhh, sooooo...what if he is using the OS wedge by mistake? Unless I'm being very dyslexic that could explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Uhhhh, sooooo...what if he is using the OS wedge by mistake? Unless I'm being very dyslexic that could explain it.
    kinda what i was thinking.. oversized rail clamp so it never gets snug around the rails and the wedge just keeps going in and never gets tight. just like if you tightened down without a saddle installed the wedge goes flush to the post body. make sense?

edit.. yes tt, if the oversize wedge is a bit smaller than standard you would get the same result. i think.

this is a picture of my post with a standard arione with k rails. the wedge does not go flush and the bolt does not stick out the other side.
    hope it helps
    Attachment 49525

sorry for the sideways iphone pic.....
    j

Houston....

velobran is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by jim d View Post
    hey tom,
    not sure but from the picture you posted it looks like maybe you have the wrong hardware for your saddle rail size.
    enve sells both standard size and oversized rail hardware. maybe you have the oversized hardware and can't get it tight enough on your standard rails.
    just a thought..
    http://www.enve.com/seatposts.aspx
    jim
    This is the issue. You have the oversized hardware in there. I had the same issue w/ a topper until I asked for the correct internals. You shouldn't have that much screw showing out there - that was the first "huh?" for me when I had my issue.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

burgess1108 is offline VSalonistas

I have the same post and there are two things that you need to pay attention to. The first as others have said, is to make sure the outside diameter of the wedge pieces are clean. The other is to make sure that the wedge surfaces are lubed with some grease. This allows the wedge pieces to easily slide together and press outward. You want friction outside, not on the sliding wedge faces.

I had the same slippage issue until I did followed ENVE's instructions here.

Thanks all and sundry for the tips on this.

I go the post second hand from the shop where I got the bike built up: Portland Design Studios. When I got the frame built up ENVE were having severe stock problems with seatposts but the owner kindly gave me her seatpost at a discount. She was sponsored by ENVE so has better access to components.

Because of this and that Portland Design Work are pretty respected and noticed a whole host of other small problems with the frame and the build and resolved them well I would be surprised if it was the over-sized wedge. That said I am going to give ENVE a call and see if they will post (and I will pay) for a replacement set of both.

I will - as that will take a while as I am in South Korea - go for the cleaning route. Quite frankly I'm not riding the bike too much atm as it is minus 13 outside with a layer of ice. The race bike with slicks and expensive components will be sitting inside most of winter.

A profuse thanks to all the knowledge dumped on a novice.