Thread: DT freehub question: mtb disc and road

Post Thanks / Like

Default DT freehub question: mtb disc and road

Does anyone know if the DT 240 freehub bodies are compatible with their 240 and other disc hubs? I'm hoping to build a campy-compatible 700c disc wheelset. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DT freehub question: mtb disc and road

Apparently it is compatible:

road bike disk brakes - ready for prime time?
    (Scroll down for pics)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it works. You'll need to use the Campag freehub body and the endcap supplied with it.

DT Swiss 240s hub with Campag freehub body by wheelworks.co.nz, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. I love DT hubs.

Post Thanks / Like

I should add.....

Take a standard 240s 6-bolt or Center Lock rear hub:
    +Add the Campag freehub body and it will work with 135mm frames and Campag cogs. No re-dish required.
    +Replace the NDS endcap with a 'road' version and the hub converts to 130mm. Re-dish is required. This moves the disc location however most calipers have enough adjustment to deal with it, if not thinning the adapter will solve the problem.

The modular design of the 240s allows you to run Shimano or Campag disc hubs on 130 or 135mm frames.
    Both the 6-bolt and Center Lock verison are available in 28 and 32 hole. Nothing lower (yet)

For bonus points match your rear hub to a QR15 front hub and 9mm QR adapters. The rear 240s can easily be converted to Syntace 142x12mm. This gives you some resale value as a 29er wheelset which will work with all modern XC forks / bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

quick question to confirm -

DT 11sp road freehub on a mtn hub...that'll work, right? Not concerned about dish or anything...just want to make sure I'd be able to use an 11sp road freehub body on a mtn wheel.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago I emailed DTSwiss if I could purchase a campy freehub body and mount it on a 240s MTB disc hub. I received a reply in half an hour confirming this possibility. They have a great customer service, don't hesitate to contact them directly.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    quick question to confirm -

DT 11sp road freehub on a mtn hub...that'll work, right? Not concerned about dish or anything...just want to make sure I'd be able to use an 11sp road freehub body on a mtn wheel.
    Yep. Just make sure you fit the 11 speed driveside endcap (it's marked as 11 speed and comes with the freehub body)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about the compatibility of the 11 speed road Shimano free hub body with a 240s (straight pull) center lock MTB hub. Does anyone here have any experience with this combination? DT's tech manual says it won't work but maybe it does in the wild. Scanning this thread it looks as if I might have some luck using an 11 speed Campy free hub body. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

That freehub body will fit right on without any problems. You'll need the matching 11 speed endcap (generally included with the freehub body) to match your axle - you don't say whether you're running 142x12 or QR.

The only issue you *might* have is that the cassette will contact the spokes but this depends on the type and size of cassette being used, and to a lesser degree the rim and spoke type.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Tristan. I thought the concern about the cassette rubbing the spokes is why DT does not recommend this combination (they also make a road version of this hub). I have a QR end cap for 11 speed and plan on using a 6800, 11-28 cassette--nothing too exotic. If worse comes to worse, I imagine I may need to file down the hub shell to give the cassette more room or simply take out the 14 tooth cog and run it with a spacer as a 10 speed cassette for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the above conversion with the standard version of the DT Swiss 240 CL hub MTB and an 11spd 11/28 cassette without any issues. I suspect that the straight pull version would work as well if not better from a spoke clearance perspective.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the second piece of field-knowledge, Nathan! I'll give it a try and report back!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any of the straight pull hubs with 11spd road FH bodies on hand, but from memory, it was more an issue of cassette spider rubbing the hub shell under load, not so much the cassette on spokes. The right flange on the straight pull disc hubs is almost flush with the rear face of the cassette. If you compare photos of part #H24PNCDIR28SA6180S which is a 240 cl disc straight pull to this : H24PHRQIR24SA3228S, which is the straight pull 130 rim brake hub, you can see the freehub body is recessed into the hub shell on the disc version. I have personally used a 240 straight pull disc with 11spd fh body and endcap with 6800 and 9000 cassettes without rubbing, but it's close as heck.
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.