Thread: Campy square taper and UT/PT, 10 speed chainring compatability question.

Shinomaster is offline VSalonistas

Default Campy square taper and UT/PT, 10 speed chainring compatability question.

Greetings,

I have a bunch on lovely polished record and centaur 10 speed rings from pre-ultratorque cranks. These are from about 2001 - 2005. I was planning on slapping them on my new centaur carbon UT cranks as the rings it came with are of course lacking in the aesthetics department. I recently noticed the older rings are thicker than the UT rings by the bolt holes. Are all 10 speed rings interchangeable? It the distance between the teeth still the same even though the bolt area of the rings is thicker on the older rings?

FWIW I have been running an older (2004) record 36 with a PMP 46 ring an a centaur UT cranks with no issues, even though the rings which came off the cranks are thinner. I'm wondering if the spacing on a road crank would be problematic.

Thanks,

J-

benson is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Campy square taper and UT/PT, 10 speed chainring compatability question.

The old, thicker, chainrings will not fit your Centaur crank. The thickness of the big chainring has to match the gap between the outer faces of the four spider tabs and the flat surface in the back of the crankarm.

Gattonero is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Campy square taper and UT/PT, 10 speed chainring compatability question.

Also, the little pin to prevent the chain to fall between the crank and the ring, is aligned with the "hidden" 5th bolt for the U.T/P.T. cranks; and in between two bolts inthe pre-U.T./P.T. cranks.

If they're U.T/P.T Compact, there is the the bolt behind the crank arm that is about 2mm offset.

To cut a long story short, no, not all the 10sp Campag rings are compatible
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

That should have said "bunch of lovely". The 1st gen Centaur carbon cranks had the 5th spider pin placement a la record. Are the rings on a carbon centaur cranks the same as on a an aluminum UT crank?

This works for whatever reason? These are thicker rings than the originals which came off the cranks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

benson is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    This works for whatever reason? These are thicker rings than the originals which came off the cranks.
    If the large ring is thicker than the original, it wil be bending inwards where it contacts the crankarm.