Thread: Campagnolo + SRAM Mountain Double?

CWinters is offline VSalonistas

Default Campagnolo + SRAM Mountain Double?

Curious whether anybody has tried setting up a SRAM X-series 42/28t crankset with an otherwise Campagnolo drivetrain and levers?

I am working on a dirt roadbike project, and the goal is to get looow (as in 1:1) gearing while making it possible to use modern Campagnolo levers. Some folks have been doing this by setting up a Campy drivetrain with an n-29t cassette and then either a TA, Rene Herse or White Industries crankset with the desired chainring combo. I've gone this route (with White Industries) and it works for the most part, but it's finicky. It occurs to me that SRAM mountain doubles offer similar chainring combinations and I wonder whether they might be a more reliable option. Also, the lower end models are quite affordable.

Could this work, or am I not thinking clearly? I know very little about MTB components. Is the Q-factor on these things enormous? Will a SRAM mountain FD work with road shifters? I know someone who uses the XX FD on a roadbike, but not with Campy levers specifically.

Just brainstorming here...

rfj1862 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Campagnolo + SRAM Mountain Double?

I see no reason why a SRAM crankset wouldn't work with a Campagnolo drivetrain, but I don't see what the advantage would be over the other combinations you mentioned. You won't need a mountain front derailleur, just move your existing derailleur down an appropriate amount.

You're probably better off troubleshooting your existing setup, but I'll leave it to other more experienced bike mechanics to comment on that.

Hi J. I've been enjoying your new blog, thanks for putting it out there.

As far as advantages, potentially there are two:
    1. They might work smoother together. I have not tried the RH cranks yet, but the WI and TA hybrids are, in my opinion, not spectacular.
    2. Price point.

I do not have an existing setup that I'm committed to; still experimenting.

d.wilson is offline VSalonistas

I've seen white industries wide range doubles (like a 46/30) work with medium cagers. why don't you see if you can find a centaur 10 or something? that'd get you to a 29 tooth cassette- which is basically where you wanna be. you can order the white in whatever configuration you want, basically- and the q is only 150mm with BEASTLY mega thick crankarms. If they made those critters in silver, i'd sure put one on my rando ride. beauteous pieces of work.. but no black on that bike but the rubber :D

d - I've got a bike set up with a Campy 12-29t cassette, a White Industries 42/28t crankset, and a Chorus (I think) front derailleur. The setup works for me, but it was a major pain to adjust properly and it's still not quite as smooth as I'd like. Granted, maybe I have high standards as to the definitions of "properly" and "smooth," spoiled by the flawless performance of the stock groupset on my roadbike, but what can I do. Also at 655g the WI crankset is not the lightest.

But my curiosity is not limited to me and my bike. There is an increasing trend now to set up roadbikes with wide tires and low-low gears for D2R2 types of rides. Hybrid drivetrains are becoming popular, but they all seem flawed in some way. I cannot in good conscience recommend the Campy + WI setup given my experience with it, even though it does technically work for me. So just trying to figure out something more reliable, with a lower price point a nice bonus.

Willie1 is offline VSalonistas

Make sure you account for chainline and q-factor. Sram XX makes a narrow q-factor crank, but the chainline is still a couple mm wider than a road setup.

darkmother is offline VSalonistas

What about a road triple crank, minus the big ring? Something like an Ultegra triple would probably shift nicely.

kyle is offline VSalonistas

Yeah if you had the S900 arms and bolted the XX1 spider to it, it may work. I bet the splines are off slightly since they typically alter the chainline on the spider itself but its worth a shot. FRANKENSTEIN!!!

d.wilson is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by CWinters View Post
    d - I've got a bike set up with a Campy 12-29t cassette, a White Industries 42/28t crankset, and a Chorus (I think) front derailleur. The setup works for me, but it was a major pain to adjust properly and it's still not quite as smooth as I'd like. Granted, maybe I have high standards as to the definitions of "properly" and "smooth," spoiled by the flawless performance of the stock groupset on my roadbike, but what can I do. Also at 655g the WI crankset is not the lightest.

But my curiosity is not limited to me and my bike. There is an increasing trend now to set up roadbikes with wide tires and low-low gears for D2R2 types of rides. Hybrid drivetrains are becoming popular, but they all seem flawed in some way. I cannot in good conscience recommend the Campy + WI setup given my experience with it, even though it does technically work for me. So just trying to figure out something more reliable, with a lower price point a nice bonus.
    here's a question c- what about the possibility of using a TA double, or one of the Velo Orange equivalents, which has ramped rings?

I rock one of those on my own bike for basically the same purposes, and it shifts really well for my standards-- which might not be as high. I use a VO with a 46/30-- not quite the same, for sure, and a 28/12 in back.

Here she is: 206828_1879773027328_5990592_n.jpg

I use a dura ace standard front mech, and it's CRAZY fast. Granted-- you wouldn't get a 42 for your big ring- but you could certainly get a 28 small ring, and they fit TA rings-- so you might be able to find the mix of both, and just use the crankarms with 50.7 bcd rings if it's critical. I absolutely love this configuration for gravel and the mountains round where i live.. especially when i'm whipped. I've seen a few bikes with campy and this too-- and it's SO much nicer not trimming all the damn time like with a triple.

the VO crank's only $200 to boot with a 46/30. mebbe worth a peek?

for what it's worth-- i'm with you-- I hate triples and this has served me well for 2 full years now, and somewhere in the realm of 5000 miles on this bike, and all i'm using is 2010 105- but as you can see- I also still use friction, so I can only offer that under the advisement that i'm an old schooler in that regard :D!

That's a great-looking bike d.wilson!

Thanks everyone for the replies; some food for thought.

FWIW, I've done triples. Not my cup of tea. I've also done Shimano n-34t cassette, 50/34t crankset, Jtek converter, and Campy levers. This works too, more or less. Just trying to find alternative ways to skin the proverbial cat I guess.

Tristan is online now VSalonistas

One thing about mountain bike doubles - the q-factor is much wider than a road bike which always leaves me feeling like I'm riding a mountain bike, not a road bike. The VO or White VBC cranks look like a better bet imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    One thing about mountain bike doubles - the q-factor is much wider than a road bike which always leaves me feeling like I'm riding a mountain bike, not a road bike. The VO or White VBC cranks look like a better bet imho.
    Yeah, that's one of my concerns. I am trying to find out the Q-factor on the SRAM, but don't see that info listed.

Also, to correct what I wrote earlier: the FD on my "WIgnolo" hybrid is a racing triple.

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

I would use a sugino OX801D. It is a modern road Compact crank with the choice of a 110 or 74bcd inner ring.

Quote Originally Posted by CWinters View Post
    Yeah, that's one of my concerns. I am trying to find out the Q-factor on the SRAM, but don't see that info listed.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/3W...ifications.pdf

Page 18. It's pretty hidden, heh. XX is on another page but they are listed QF's since they do 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/3W...ifications.pdf

Page 18. It's pretty hidden, heh. XX is on another page but they are listed QF's since they do 2.
    Duh! Thanks. Looks like it's 167.5. Too much. Well that settles it, this was a stupid idea.
    Thanks again to all for the feedback.

XX cranks are available in 156 Q-factor but are $$

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    XX cranks are available in 156 Q-factor but are $$
    Yup. Rene Herse cranks are a "bargain" in comparison, with 142 Q-factor.

Unoveloce is offline VSalonistas

Give Kervin at Rotor USA a call and they can build you a crank. I had them do that for a customer of mine that had a cross bike that was originally built around a mountain triple crank, but they wanted to run a 36/46 double. Regular road compacts didn't clear the chainstays and removing the inner ring on mountain triple (that what she had done with her M950 series XTR crank) gave a crappy chainline and poor front shifting. They built a crank using mountain arms double arms and road compact chainrings. Worked great. You don't have to use the Rotor rings if you don't want to, as well.