Thread: Campagnolo 11-speed on mostly 10-speed components?

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Default Campagnolo 11-speed on mostly 10-speed components?

Would it be possible to run 11-speed with just the purchase of a chain, cassette and right shifter? Anyone try this yet? I'm guessing it would be no problem.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm thrifty!

donevwil is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Campagnolo 11-speed on mostly 10-speed components?

I imagine you’re talking 2009+ 10 spd Veloce, Centaur ? I doubt you'd consider an old style front brake/shift lever and new style rear.

I upgraded a friends bike a couple years ago from old style 2004 Record 10 to 2010 Record 11 and played with swapping rear drivetrain parts one at a time to see how it would work, only spinning it on the stand so no road test. I have two recommendations below based solely on that one experiment:

1. Put 11 spd derailleur pulleys in the 10 spd derailleur. 10 spd pulleys are too thick to efficiently run the 11 spd chain. They kind of work, but not really. Even after the swap the 2004 derailleur was very vague, shifted poorly IMO. The 2009+ design is considerably more rigid.

2. Need newer rear derailleur cable housing to fit new style shifter. Old derailleur housing has a larger than the 2009+ stuff. If I remember correctly the cable fit fine. 2009+ 10 spd would have come with the smaller housing.

Bssc is offline VSalonistas

here are the main things you need
    shifter
    der pulleys
    chain
    cogs
    chain rings
    it will most likely be cheaper to get a kit than to source parts

Quote Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
    I imagine you’re talking 2009+ 10 spd Veloce, Centaur ? I doubt you'd consider an old style front brake/shift lever and new style rear.

I upgraded a friends bike a couple years ago from old style 2004 Record 10 to 2010 Record 11 and played with swapping rear drivetrain parts one at a time to see how it would work, only spinning it on the stand so no road test. I have two recommendations below based solely on that one experiment:

1. Put 11 spd derailleur pulleys in the 10 spd derailleur. 10 spd pulleys are too thick to efficiently run the 11 spd chain. They kind of work, but not really. Even after the swap the 2004 derailleur was very vague, shifted poorly IMO. The 2009+ design is considerably more rigid.

2. Need newer rear derailleur cable housing to fit new style shifter. Old derailleur housing has a larger than the 2009+ stuff. If I remember correctly the cable fit fine. 2009+ 10 spd would have come with the smaller housing.
    I use mostly Record 10-speed with some Centaur and a couple of Chorus rear ders. It's hard to believe, but I actually think I like the old shifter shape better. But this has nothing to do with that. It's mostly a rhetorical question but I bet it would work just fine.

I may source a shifter at some point and a chain and cassette and try it out. Ten bucks says it works fine. Solo shifter show up all the time on ebay and I already have a couple sets of the new shape floating around so that's all good.

We'll see what happens...

AngryScientist is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post
    here are the main things you need
    shifter
    der pulleys
    chain
    cogs
    chain rings
    it will most likely be cheaper to get a kit than to source parts
    this post is uninformed rubbish. RD pulleys, chainrings - nonsense. saab, it will work just fine. for the crispest shifting there is a modification recommended by forum user "dave" to route the rd cable slightly differently, but thats about it.

Please keep us informed. I'm too heavily committed to 10 to even talk about 11, but there will be a day when my hands will be tied, granted we'll have 12 spd by then.

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

Been thinking about this too.

Give it a go and post back. Community service yo!!

Applesauce is offline VSalonistas

Mine ran FINE on 10s cranks and FD. In fact, it ran perfectly, such that I'd say it was a total load of crap that you'd ever have needed new chainrings, etc. (Besides, the ramps have changed, but the rings have not - not really. It's the spacing on the spider between the rings that slightly different.)

Then I switched to 11s SR cranks. Then I had to switch to an 11s FD, too. Now it's mostly fine again, but front shifting isn't quite as instantaneous and trim-free as I had it running with the 10s cranks and FD.

In my opinion, the 11s shifters are so good I don't know why you wouldn't switch - and I was a longtime 10s holdout.

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    In my opinion, the 11s shifters are so good I don't know why you wouldn't switch - and I was a longtime 10s holdout.
    $$$$$$

Other than adding a gear are the 11-speed shifters different than the Centaur 10-speed shifters of the same shape? I find the Centaurs decent but the feel of the shift less precise and more plasticky than the Record 10s I can get used to it and it's no biggie.

I like the new shape but don't find it massively superior to the old shape. To my hands it's just a different feel, not a better feel.

teleguy57 is offline VSalonistas
    Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    this post is uninformed rubbish. RD pulleys, chainrings - nonsense. saab, it will work just fine. for the crispest shifting there is a modification recommended by forum user "dave" to route the rd cable slightly differently, but thats about it.
    Here's Dave's post in another forum I tried it and for several reasons ended up going with a Chorus 11 rear.

We'll see what happens. Today I installed a set of 10-speed Centaurs on the Zanconato. They are indeed nice. Maybe I was ambivalent about them before because the bikes I had them on fit less than ideally, which is not case with the Zanc. Anyway, it is transformed. I knew the 10-speed Records were in need of a rebuild but I don't think I knew how badly.

As for 11-speed, there's no rush on any of my bikes but when I need a new chain or cassette on the Pacenti I might give it a shot.

Bssc is offline VSalonistas

what ever half ass work you want to do
    do not instruct other to do so you end up with the liability
    do it right or don't bother

My bikes are done right. I use them hard and they don't fail.

Do you say the same assinine things to those who mix Shimano cassettes with their Sram groups? Or use connector links? Or use aftermarket cable sets?

Using a 10-speed der with an 11-speed cassette (same exact width of cassette) hardly seems high risk..... I'll take my chances.

AngryScientist is offline VSalonistas

it's you that is spewing nonsense.
    if you really believe you need 11-speed chainrings to operate an 11-speed drivetrain, you are a marketeer's dream. as the saying goes, it is not difficult to separate a fool from his money.

note that i say that with all due respect, honestly. it is one thing to want to do everything "by the book", but the real world reality is that some stuff just works, despite what the technical manual says.

by the way, last night, i opened my beer bottle with the back of a bic lighter. it worked out OK.

, you are a marketeer's dream.
    Nutshell. No amount of "do-it-rightness" will ever convince me to install a needlessly over designed Ultra or Power Torqe POS.

Applesauce is offline VSalonistas

it is one thing to want to do everything "by the book", but the real world reality is that some stuff just works, despite what the technical manual says.
    Right. bssc, see above where others have offered actual, real-world experience. You've offered none. And the suggestion of "derailleur pulleys" isn't borne out by either evidence or logic, let alone marketing gibberish.

AngryScientist, you should be careful opening beers with lighters: you can skin your knuckles, and wrongly inspire others to do the same.

theflashunc is offline VSalonistas

As my local mechanic of choice likes to say "It won't know the difference if you don't tell it."

Should be fine, I think.

drietz is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
    Nutshell. No amount of "do-it-rightness" will ever convince me to install a needlessly over designed Ultra or Power Torqe POS.
    I can really sympathize with this. Been looking for a cheap UT crank for a couple weeks now and decided it just wasn't worth it. My ST stuff is nearly as light and honestly I probably wouldn't notice a difference in stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    I can really sympathize with this. Been looking for a cheap UT crank for a couple weeks now and decided it just wasn't worth it. My ST stuff is nearly as light and honestly I probably wouldn't notice a difference in stiffness.
    My UT stuff has been just fine. I know others have had creaks and groans and bearing issues but I've had zero problems in the 3 years or so since I switched to UT cranks. I'm either lucky, or good. Probably the latter..... ;-)