Thread: Central Jersey/Easter PA Ride?

Joel Benjamin L is offline VSalonistas

Default Central Jersey/Easter PA Ride?

A couple weeks ago, there was some discussion in the Hampsten thread of organizing a ride in Central Jersey/Easter PA.
    I am relatively new to the Princeton area, and would love to get out for a ride, especially since the weather this weekend will be so beautiful.
    I have been off the bike for the past couple weeks due to travel, but am absolutely up for a leisurely group ride.
    Is there any interest in getting together for a ride tomorrow or Sunday morning?

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Central Jersey/Easter PA Ride?

I put it in the other thread, but...if people plan anything for turkey day weekend please keep me posted. Had planned on bringing my cx bike home but might devote my energies towards Sandy cleanup. Still undecided. Would be coming from the Bedminster area.
    my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

Tim Porter is offline VSalonistas

Sorry, I was enthusiastic about that potential ride in the Hampsten thread, but can't make it this weekend. I'll be there today working with a contractor on our house and hope to get a ride in. : ) Tim

joosttx is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Sorry, I was enthusiastic about that potential ride in the Hampsten thread, but can't make it this weekend. I'll be there today working with a contractor on our house and hope to get a ride in. : ) Tim
    Try these guys.

PA Randonneurs

Great group of folks. And great rides

With thanksgiving weekend coming, perhaps we should revive this thread....?
    The ride never happened, but it looks like thanksgiving should be a good weekend.
    Is there any interest in a morning ride any day between Thursday and Sunday?

nahtnoj is online now VSalonistas

I think I could do something on Saturday. I was liking the looks of the roads up around New Hope, but don't know any of them myself.

Eddie is offline 3KClub

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I think I could do something on Saturday. I was liking the looks of the roads up around New Hope, but don't know any of them myself.
    I'm there right now, but I'm gone after turkey day. Can help with route suggestions if need be.

ldamelio is offline VSalonistas

Guys - I'm in the area. Don't know my weekend schedule other than Sunday cross race. The A and B rides of this club (I am a peripheral member) will get you on great rides with great people. The ones friom the Wycombe train station are the best.

Central Bucks Bicycle Club

Britishbane is online now VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Around New Hope huh? The in laws live in Carversville. My favorite part of my favorite ride involves climbing Fleecydale Rd, Right on McNeal, back down to the river via whatever you feel like (Ferry Rd?), then up Tohickon Hill Rd. About as much fun as one can have on a bike, unless you are bombing the unpaved Cutalossa Rd a bit further east.

Hank Scorpio is online now VSalonistas

I would be up for something this weekend. I am doing a short ride around round valley on T-giving ending up in Flemington.

Heronseye is offline VSalonistas

I live in Stockton NJ (near Lambertville/New Hope) and hope to ride each day Thursday-Sunday. Would love to show some folks around. If you're going to be in the area, pm me. I'm flexible with days/time. The weather looks good and the roads are finally free of debris and trees from Sandy. Also, Saturday morning seems to work for people, sounds good to me. Tom

so I do not really know my way around, but how about a ride leaving from the Boro Bean in Hopewell Township. I could meet either Friday or Saturday morning. Would prefer to meet up in the morning, around 8:00?...If someone who knows their way around better than me is willing to take the lead once we ride, I would be overjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLANDE View Post
    so I do not really know my way around, but how about a ride leaving from the Boro Bean in Hopewell Township. I could meet either Friday or Saturday morning. Would prefer to meet up in the morning, around 8:00?...If someone who knows their way around better than me is willing to take the lead once we ride, I would be overjoyed.
    Boro bean would be a good starting point for exploring the Sourlands (hilly with gravel options). I've ridden the area and went through there during this years "Hell of Hunterdon". Believe I still have the HoH cue sheet. I could meet you there fri or sat.

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

2012 Hell of Hunterdon v0.1 - A bike ride in Lambertville, New Jersey

If you want a leisurely ride on Sunday - start in Hopewell and work your way toward Stockton. Hit the indoor farmers market for coffee and pastries and then head back. An easy long ride is Washington Crossing park then just take the tow path along the river north. You'll go through Lambertville, Stockton, Frenchtown, Milford. Wash x-ing to Frenchtown is about 30 miles one way.

Eddie is offline 3KClub

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    2012 Hell of Hunterdon v0.1 - A bike ride in Lambertville, New Jersey

If you want a leisurely ride on Sunday - start in Hopewell and work your way toward Stockton. Hit the indoor farmers market for coffee and pastries and then head back. An easy long ride is Washington Crossing park then just take the tow path along the river north. You'll go through Lambertville, Stockton, Frenchtown, Milford. Wash x-ing to Frenchtown is about 30 miles one way.
    I just did most of this with some wicked fast kid wearing neon yellow Embrocation gloves and riding a Fuji.

As per usual the NJ side is a much more buffed out trail. There's a section south of the footbridge to Bull's Island on the PA side that is not rideable on a road bike, but it's only a couple hundred yards at most and the rest is clear sailing.

Here's one if anyone is interested, tomorrow 11/22 Thanksgiving 9:30am leaving from the Prallsville Mill, Stockton, NJ (parking area at mill, Directions to Prallsville Mills ). 27 mile, 2 hr relaxed ride on some pretty roads. We'll be back at the Mill before noon. Not too much gravel or climbing, but enough to make it interesting. See ride link below:

Bike Ride Profile | Thursday Evening Prallsville near Stockton | Times and Records | Strava

If interested pm me for my phone number in case you run late or get lost getting to the start.

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

If you want some gravel, instead of going up lower creek to start, go up Worman instead. It's clear now post-Sandy. Turn left at the top of worman and then take your next left onto Covered BRidges road and you'll come back down onto lower creek. Turn right and you are back on the route.

If you want to make it more like 40 miles, instead of turning off of 519, just continue North on 519 to Fairview. Turn left on Fairview and descend down to Rte 29. Turn right on 29 and go a mile or so to the Kingwood Boat launch. Go into the parking lot and pick up the tow path (more smooth gravel). Head south and you'll come to Bulls Island and then a couple miles later will be back at Prawlsville Mills.

Depending on fitness and urgency you could continue north on 29 (or jump on the tow path) and catch a coffee in Frenchtown. I like the Lovin Oven but there is also the shop right next to the bridge in town or Buck's next to the bike shop. Then it's about 12-13 miles back to Prawls from there.

There are some other gravel roads to play on but I don't want to get you lost typing directions...

Very nice riding in that area, have fun.

And if dirt wasn't on the agenda just ignore!!!

--Mark