Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skis

Lionel is offline VSalonistas

Default Skis

I got these for myself a couple of days ago. Man are these things are awesome. For the front side hardpack and groomed slopes they absolutely rock. Not a do it all ski but a ton of fun and so fast! I wish I had stonger legs... Biking legs do not seem to help much.

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Skis

Excellent. I'm also on Stöckli. But I'm not a good enough skier to tell the difference between good and excellent. I could probably tell mediocre, but I don't know which ones are mediocre.

That snow looks well groomed. Please don't do this! I'm trying to avoid a costly week of skiing this year....
    My name is James Edward Kile

I bought these as dedicated hardpack/groomed slopes. So much more fun that a do it all ski or of course a fat ski.

I probably couldn't tell much difference. Last year my brother-in-law (who is the original owner of my skis, and my size) and I switched for an hour or so. I could barely tell the difference. But he could. He will always be a better skier than I ever will be. I didn't grow up with it and to be good you need to ski just after you learn to walk.

I enjoy it like a weekend warrior bicyclist who is blissfully ignorant of the nitpicky arguments that constantly take place on forums like this one about Campagnolo v. Shimano and Tubular v. Clincher.

In the ski world I am thankfully able to just enjoy the scenery and be thankful that I've never broken my legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I probably couldn't tell much difference. Last year my brother-in-law (who is the original owner of my skis, and my size) and I switched for an hour or so. I could barely tell the difference. But he could. He will always be a better skier than I ever will be. I didn't grow up with it and to be good you need to ski just after you learn to walk.

I enjoy it like a weekend warrior bicyclist who is blissfully ignorant of the nitpicky arguments that constantly take place on forums like this one about Campagnolo v. Shimano and Tubular v. Clincher.

In the ski world I am thankfully able to just enjoy the scenery and be thankful that I've never broken my legs!
    I hear you. My wife grew up on skis and so did my kids but I first skied when I was 19 and yes it does make a big difference. This said, I sky about 35 to 40 days a year so I can tell the difference between a fast carver (like my new laser SX) and a powder ski or an all rounder. Sort of like bikes ;-) You would not take your Zank to go mountain biking. But this laser is more like a Gaulzetti corsa to stay on the bike analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    You would not take your Zank to go mountain biking.
    No, but I have taken it on the Ballers Ride and there are a couple sections where a mountain bike would seem more appropriate!

Sitting in the airport in CLT and found a pic of my Stöcklis. This was taken in Sölden, Austria about 4 years ago.

Sölden.jpg

You should be booking that ski trip right now.

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

You should be booking that ski trip right now.
    Yes you should.

So jealous, Lionel. The surgeon says I should be skiing by the start of February. My new K2s are waiting for me--also frontside skis. I have a kid to ski with now and that displaces the backcountry urge pretty well.
    a one bike believer

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

I am not a skier anymore... I moved to CO after college and my roommate was a big tele skier, he said "buy skis we'll skin up mountains and go down them". That appealed to my broke-ass-just-graduated-style, so I bought the gear and tried for years. But I am duck footed (look at the heel rub on my cranks!), so at the end of everyday the motion to get my skis straight or god forbid a snow plow would set my knees on fire. The pain got so bad I gave my skis away. I have been feeling the call, anyone try a split decision board?

This is the view from my kitchen window, so that my explain the renewed interest in skiing.

-Joe

lala is offline VSalonistas

Like most of my bikes, I ski old school.

Quality, high-end, older technology, if we'll taken care of, is not the limiting factor to my performance.

Attachment 49959

JoB
    JoB is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post

Quality, high-end, older technology, if we'll taken care of, is not the limiting factor to my performance.
    As far as old school goes, old school steel frame = approximately non parabolic/parallel skis. The skis they have been making since Kneissl started the parabolic ski revolution are truly a new animal. Just amazing.

My recommendation would be to get a decent parabolic ski and a nice, stiff boot that fits well ... skis are less impt than boots IME.

Also, is anybody randonnee skiing here? Whenever I see somebody push a fat bike up a hill, I think, 'that would be fun on skins'. It is an terrific workout and not as hard on the knees as 'regular' on-piste alpine skiing.

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

I hear you lala. I really, really enjoyed the 205s and 210s that linger in my garage. I resisted for years. But a sunny demo day on new skis caused me to redirect some bike funds anyway.
    a one bike believer

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Also, is anybody randonnee skiing here? Whenever I see somebody push a fat bike up a hill, I think, 'that would be fun on skins'. It is an terrific workout and not as hard on the knees as 'regular' on-piste alpine skiing.
    I do this a lot. I have a pair of Trab free rando light. Amazingly light going up but still capable going down even in powder.

Not sure about this. I ride a lot of "old school" steel frame and yes I am not really faster on my Crumpton SL. For Skis, the evolution over the last 15 years has been completely amazing.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

Not sure about this. I ride a lot of "old school" steel frame and yes I am not really faster on my Crumpton SL. For Skis, the evolution over the last 15 years has been completely amazing.
    Hold that thought, and next time, thank a snowboarder for waking up the sleepy ski industry

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Hold that thought, and next time, thank a snowboarder for waking up the sleepy ski industry
    Could very well be. I do not know shit about snowboarding. But my skis 15 years ago compared to my skis today are night and day.

roseyscot is offline 2KClub

Attachment 49959
    The $25 rental skis at the local base lodge today would outperform your high end 12 year old skis, especially on non bullet proof snow. I've always been a high end ski snob, but only getting 4-5 days a year now, I just rely on borrowing my father's high end atomics when I make it north. When I travel out to Montana to see in-laws, I bring boots and rent skis. The $25 skis don't hold this former psia level 2 instructor back.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

Salomon 1080 history - YouTube

I remember being in Chamonix up on the glacier wearing Rossi Bandit xXx in 1999. The guides all had twin tip orange 1080s. That evening I went over and rented a pair of 1080s to try the next day. All of a sudden, you could ski with snowboarder attitude. If you are in deep pow, a board is still hard to beat, but if you are on piste or have long run-outs, skis are the way to go.

AJPM44 is offline VSalonistas

Attachment 49959
    No matter how well you take care of these, they are foam core and will break down after a couple seasons, or about 9 years ago. If you do like old school skis, find some vertical sidewall, wood core skis.

jdp211 is offline VSalonistas

Just got my first day on the hill of the season this past weekend. Currently rocking a pair of Volkl Mantra's from a couple seasons ago. They are nothing short of fantastic. Maybe a tad wide for the East Coast, but I can roll them edge to edge on groomers and powder days alike. Also have a pair of Nordica Hot Rods that I keep around for patrol duties (Shorter and easier to manage while pulling a sled).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast