Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Muscle cars

Mr.President is offline VSalonistas

Default Muscle cars

I have always liked cars and over the course of my short driving life I have changed tastes as to what I like.

I do understand people like cars for a variety of reasons and that is fine, but I am so sick of the hybrid, electric, hamster wheel driven cars.

This past summer I bought a used Dodge Charger SRT8. 06 with 425bhp and 416 torques. It was a monster and I loved it. Cold air induction, oil catch can, flowmaster exhaust, and a Diablosport tuner I had that close to 460 at the crank. What a fun car. I had to sell it to take care of a parent and it will be some time before we have a second car in the family, but I can promise you that it is going to have a huge motor and shit tons of power.

How many of you out there are driving something visceral and what type of stuff have you done to modify your ride. I remember the jerk folling around with his mustang and loved seeing that, but until I get my next beast I need to live vicariously through you all.car2.JPGcar.JPG

quickag is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Muscle cars

69 Fastback...I guess it's not TECHNICALLY a muscle car but it sure drives like one.

SRT-8 Magnum is def in my future.
    Respect all
    Fear none

Ben
    Ben is offline VSalonistas

I've posted about my muscle car love on here before, and won't bore by repeating. Suffice it to say, there may be lots of arguments against muscle cars; they may even be valid arguments; but sheer, unbridled fun ain't one of them.

Mr.President is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I've posted about my muscle car love on here before, and won't bore by repeating. Suffice it to say, there may be lots of arguments against muscle cars; they may even be valid arguments; but sheer, unbridled fun ain't one of them.
    I tried searching for a thread and didn't find one other then say the automobile thread.

Yeah I know they suck on gas, but from tank to tank it is just pure joy.

rowdyhillrambler is offline VSalonistas

In 06 i bought a SRT8 magnum wagon, there was no argument in the world for the positive environmental effects of that thing.. But, Dear DoG that thing was a boner on wheels. Black on black on black on black on black. I loved that thing, drove it sparingly for about 18 months. Sold it at lunch one day in the parking lot. I miss our time together, she was a beautiful mistress.

Tom
    Tom is offline VSalonistas

I scare myself in a 3200lb car with 230 hp and I doubt I've ever actually used even close to all 230. I see those old beasts with 450hp, drum brakes and manual steer and wonder how anybody survived them.

maunahaole is offline VSalonistas

Keep in mind that the old beasts used a SAE gross rating on the engine, which means that it was measures with nothing attached - the numbers skewed a lot higher than they would be measured on a contemporary standard. That said, I had a 66 Malibu with 327/4bbl/4spd stick no power steering and non-power drums on all corners. It was a handful. Lots of turning the wheel. You needed lots of room to stop. Not much bite in the brakes and they locked very easily.

Current ride is a 94 Buick Roady wagon. Looks full dork with wood paneling and tailgunner seat. Has LT1 multiport injected v8. Goes a little faster than you think that it would. Makes good sounds. Holds lots of cargo. The HP numbers are not really impressive, but it makes lots of torque everywhere. What it lacks in 0-60, it makes up for in 60-90.

Chad is offline VSalonistas

AMX 002.jpg

Was my fathers, inherited by my older brother. Used for summer runs to the beer store now. 390 automatic. Not the fastest thing in the world. But very fun to drive and gets a lot of stares as it's kind of rare.
    Chad Engle

bertiewhang is offline VSalonistas

What is it?
    Us non 'mericans would like to know please.
    I like it.

That's an AMX. Cool ride. Not many of them around.

Wiki link for basic info.
    AMC AMX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

donevwil is offline VSalonistas

'68 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S - 340 Auto with air, PS, PB, 3:23 Sure-Grip. Fast and 15mpg at best. I'm a Mopar man from birth and love A-bodies.

Needs a bit of TLC (body/paint), but I have two bikes on order.

It's a 1969 AMX. Only made for 3 years iirc. It's an American Motors...

Pics please folks! Talking about cars is fun, looking at them is even more funner.
    Chad Engle

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

I'm not posting a pic of my '06 Silverado work truck, but it went 510 hp 530 lb/ft on the engine dyno.

Started life as a 4.8L and turned into a 7.0L. That is a 6.0L truck block with a Callies 4 1/8 inch stroker crank. Also used Callies H beam rods and Diamond pistons. CNC ported aluminum 6.0L heads and a Z06 cam profile cheated up to maximize it for world challenge. Went on the dyno with stock intake and throttle body, 87 octane pump gas and 1 3/4 inch headers. It hauls bikes real nice.

Erik B is offline VSalonistas

Best friend in high school drove a 70 Ranchero with a 351C 4v backed by a 4 speed, followed that hit up with a 68 Mustang fastback 390/C6 sometimes tri-powered. Many happy hours spend wrenching on and riding around in both those cars but sadly both pale in comparison to the pure shit-eating grins developed by the wifes "new" Z3. Pretty sure it's faster/quicker and better handling than those two things ever dreamt of being.

My personal stupid motorized toy is a somewhat modded CJ5. But that's a vehicle for a different discussion.
    Erik Brunner

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    Best friend in high school drove a 70 Ranchero with a 351C 4v backed by a 4 speed, followed that hit up with a 68 Mustang fastback 390/C6 sometimes tri-powered. Many happy hours spend wrenching on and riding around in both those cars but sadly both pale in comparison to the pure shit-eating grins developed by the wifes "new" Z3. Pretty sure it's faster/quicker and better handling than those two things ever dreamt of being.

My personal stupid motorized toy is a somewhat modded CJ5. But that's a vehicle for a different discussion.
    My dad had the same driveline combo in a '70 Torino. Serious top end. I seem to remember a lot of bent pushrods and broken valve springs.

donevwil is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    My dad had the same driveline combo in a '70 Torino. Serious top end. I seem to remember a lot of bent pushrods and broken valve springs.
    Buddy in HS had the same thing, did some growing up in that thing. Boy 351 Clev's like to rev. I'll add "a lot of bent fenders" to your list !

Erik B is offline VSalonistas

Closest thing to a 2 stoke powerband I've ever seen in a v8, the intake valves were huge, and good grief was it a dog until it started to spin.

He ran a little bit of timing on that thing, always carried a distributor wrench, more a few times my job was to back the timing off enough to get the damn thing started if it was the tiiniest bit heat soaked from cruising.
    Erik Brunner

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    Closest thing to a 2 stoke powerband I've ever seen in a v8, the intake valves were huge, and good grief was it a dog until it started to spin.

He ran a little bit of timing on that thing, always carried a distributor wrench, more a few times my job was to back the timing off enough to get the damn thing started if it was the tiiniest bit heat soaked from cruising.
    You guys need the experience of driving a '70 Boss 302. Same upper engine with a short stroke. 4000-7000 power band. Nothing below that. Closest thing I have experienced is driving my wife's '00 Celica GT-S. Complete dog unless you are in the power band.

My dad actually put a 4.10 rear end in the Torino to pull a 22 foot Coachmen trailer. It really did pretty well with the 4 speed. Except for that time we were stranded on I-80 in the middle of Nebraska for most of a day with vapor lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    You guys need the experience of driving a '70 Boss 302. Same upper engine with a short stroke. 4000-7000 power band. Nothing below that. Closest thing I have experienced is driving my wife's '00 Celica GT-S. Complete dog unless you are in the power band.

My dad actually put a 4.10 rear end in the Torino to pull a 22 foot Coachmen trailer. It really did pretty well with the 4 speed. Except for that time we were stranded on I-80 in the middle of Nebraska for most of a day with vapor lock.
    I've been stranded in Nebraska my entire life, one day isn't so bad. I like the old days, where you pulled whatever you had with whatever you had.
    Chad Engle

Isn't Nebraska everything that is between Chicago and Denver?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast