Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 911 for You?

Philster is offline VSalonistas

Default Which 911 for You?

I've spent a huge portion of my life looking at Porsche 911's on the i-web and trying to decide which to buy. At one point or another, I've been convinced that I should own everything from an original 911 to my current dream, a 997 GT3 RS. I'm not sure about is the new 991. The great news is that this has been going on for years and, so far, hasn't cost me a penny. What would/have you choose or chosen?

christian is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Which 911 for You?

1988 Club Sport and 1989 Speedster. I have a soft spot for the accordion bumper cars (because they're what was hot when I was at the impressionable age). After that, I'd be a 993 Carrera 4S, a 1972 E or S, a 1976 912E, and a 997 GT3 RS, in that order, so long as we're talking non-exotica, of course.

WadePatton is offline VSalonistas

I had a 911 years ago. S/N 9013101819-which was (nearly clapped out) 1973 T and no that's not "targa". That's the mildest engine offered that year. and that's about all i could handle.

Don't know what is offered now, i quit looking at them years ago, BUT i'm quite sure something along the lines of "Club Sport" would be my choice. The one with better brakes, less computers, and less weight.

i will never like ABS...modulate!!!

AntLockyer is offline VSalonistas

1973 RS

this is my old short wheel base 1967

1967 porsche 911

jsrieck is offline VSalonistas

964 - The last 911 that looked like a 911 and nothing else. But I've been there done that and after three years found out that the speed limit is still the same no matter the car and when you are driving it you can't look at it.

I still love to see them driving around, but the desire to posses is gone.

david is offline VSalonistas

ctfd

ME Grimpeur is offline VSalonistas

1973 Porsche 917/30 Can-Am Spyder
    Chassis 917-30-004
    Estimate: $3.25 - $4 million
    The Porsche 917 racing program was one of the most successful in the history of motor sport and the 1973 917/30 Can-Am Spyder represents its pinnacle. With a 1,000 hp turbocharged flat-twelve, American racing champion Mark Donohue's 917/30 was so dominant that the Can Am Challenge Cup was disbanded and the other manufacturers withdrew due to their inability to compete.

Buy it here:

Historic Porsche collection going up for auction at Amelia Island

I will be in attendance but just to get a chance to see the cars up close again. I have hundreds of photos of some of these cars from going to the races at Mid-Ohio back in my teens. The Rothmans 962 was always my favorite but likely because it was so dominant.

wait - what forum am I on?????

Sean in CA is offline VSalonistas

Since we're dreaming....
    porsche2.jpg

soupless is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by jsrieck View Post
    964 - The last 911 that looked like a 911 and nothing else. But I've been there done that and after three years found out that the speed limit is still the same no matter the car and when you are driving it you can't look at it.

I still love to see them driving around, but the desire to posses is gone.
    Precisely. The 964 imho is the last generation that has some delicacy to it.

17.jpg

ned
    ned is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    Precisely. The 964 imho is the last generation that has some delicacy to it.

17.jpg
    And no radiator.

Late 80s RS America for me.

All that said, my dad recently got an '04 40th Anniversary Edition that I very much look forward to driving.

lukasz is offline VSalonistas

Something air-cooled and probably from the 80s. I love the sound. I'm not picky, heh. My last car was from that era and I think it is the perfect mix of technology and still being able to DIY. And the shapes.... sigh.

Agree on ABS. I also think that traction control computers on newer cars have made people drive like bigger assholes than they used to.

roseyscot is offline VSalonistas

i enjoy driving my father's 87 cabriolet. it was his mid life crisis purchase and still has under 70,000 miles i believe.

i tried very hard to buy (steal) a 67 s that was sitting unused in a driveway in the neighboring town. body and interior was in great shape but the owner refused to let me pay to have it properly inspected so i passed. wasn't willing to risk the buy in price for fear of it needing a new engine.

i've resolved now though that i'd rather retire young than own lavish vehicles. if i can do both, i guess i'd pass on the 911 and go for a 356.

962 is offline VSalonistas

I like the 964 and have seen some nice track-prepped '86 '88s for sale, but most likely I would look for a base early-model 997...

funcrusher is offline VSalonistas

997.2 turbo for me...has all the refinements of a modern sports car but looks like the 911s of my youth

991s look worse in person! Also your right knee will constantly bang into the center console. Good luck finding a manual transmission...

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

There's a Carrera--pretty sure it's a mid-80s 3.2--parked along my commute in the summer. It's all blacked out, very clean and well maintained. Its owner exercises at Greenlake and it's clearly her baby.

Before I was married I told my wife the Carrera 4 would be my midlife crisis. I'd also take the black one by the lake.
    a one bike believer

redturbo is offline VSalonistas

A 96 or 97 993 Turbo for me.
    "SHUT UP LEGS"

quickag is online now VSalonistas

Respect all
    Fear none

shanerpvt is offline VSalonistas

I'll take a 4S Cab, the newer the better. A 20 year old car is a 20 year old car. I want to hop in and go. Don't want to always be working (or paying for someone to work) on it.

cheers,
    shaner

cody.wms is offline VSalonistas

I'd go mid-80s Carrera. Some are better than others, but I can't remember which are which.

The funny thing is that these aren't from the time period when I was impressionable, as Christian put it, but when my brother was. Some of his weird preferences for early 80s stuff was passed on to me, a child of the 90s.

1985+911+Carrera+front+lt1125779967.jpg

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

I'm biased because I have an '88 911 and that time period was very good. Iconic 911 looks, the 3.2L motor is solid (and can be taken to 3.5L for relatively little money if you want a bit more ooomph) and the G50 transmission is reliable. Upgrade the A/C if you intend to drive it a lot in warmer climates. Good cars available in the 20-25K range which is a lot of fun for the money. Plus my wife digs our car and that counts for a lot....

1973 RS gets a lot of ink but too much money and these are old cars. I've spent time in a '72 though and they are a ton of fun to toss around.

1993 RS America's are very good drivers. I've thought about upgrading a few times to a 1993 but never made it.

Spent a couple weeks babysitting a colleagues '95 and it was a great GT car. Much more refined than my '88 but still fun and less likely to go into butt forward mode. I'd take a 997 turbo in a heart beat though :-)

Post 1998, no interest. Nice cars but not for me. GT2 and GT3 are rocking fast but not for real world drivers. They belong on the race track in the hands of drivers that can handle them properly. PCA has stats on how many GT3s are destroyed each year by normal people buying them and wrecking.

Water cooled, the car that gets be excited is the Cayman. It's everything the new 911 should be and has better balance. Easily set up for PCA club racing and you can drive it everyday. If I were buying a modern car it'd be a Cayman over the 911 without question.

If you've always wanted a 911 and can find a good one from the late 80s go for it. They aren't bad to keep up and are a ton of fun on weekend drives. Heck, with bikes pushing 10K now it's only a two bike equivalent!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast