Thread: Cannondale Carbon Scalpel 29er 2, Large and like new

al415 is online now VSalonistas

Default Cannondale Carbon Scalpel 29er 2, Large and like new

Much like the recently departed Mudhoney that was to launch my cross racing career in to the stratosphere, this is the bike that was going to see me devastate the east coast endurance racing scene this year. Until it started dawning on me that you have to get up early, usually on a Sunday, and actually arrive at the start line to ever enter a race.

I ordered the bike before they were even available and entered a couple of races in anticipation of its arrival. The bike didn't arrive on time and I ended up racing a borrowed demo version of the same model; so I know how good it is. By the time this bike arrived and was built, I was licking my wounds from the Stewart Super Sixpack (the one that turned in to a death march in tropical heat). I never really got my isht together to race again, so this Scalpel has approximately five rides on it. Seeing that I live on the east coast, each of these rides would have been between 12-20 miles, so by my math this bicycle has somewhere around 100 miles (and that's estimating on the high side). This really is a spectacularly efficient cross country bicycle. Carbon frame, with the original warranty card (as I haven't sent it in), Stans wheels (set up tubeless) all the bells and whistles. There is one mark on the frame; a chip in the chainstay paint, courtesy of my singlespeed's eggbeater during a recent weather induced move. This is starting to feel like my life story instead of a simple classified ad, and I've not even finished my glass of rye.

I've decided to sell as I bought it to be a race bike and I've not raced since Summer. It is way too much bicycle for my local trails, where my singlespeed, rigid, 29er is perfect. The lack or racing, and the realization that I'd rather have some more option for the road than the woods lead me back to the classifieds.

Here are some numbers, and some options:

When I bought it the retail was selling for $5,200. I paid $4,200 on account of a great relationship with the shop I worked at in my yoof. I'm going to give it a few weeks on here before putting it anywhere else. I'd sell it outright for $3,500 (I'm thinking that number will be around $3,800 if I end up offering it anywhere else). I'd also be interested in trading (part or whole) for a luridly bright Gaulzetti with a 55 or 56 top tube. Frameset or complete I guess.

Mine is in black/white/green colour scheme in the pictures and specs I've dug up from the internet. Please forgive the absence of my own pictures but I live in NJ by the beach and it's been an odd couple of weeks.

From Cannondale:

SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 2 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

scalpel.jpg

Bobqzz is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Cannondale Carbon Scalpel 29er 2, Large and like new

Wow, I just started looking for one of these. Is it the carbon or aluminum version of the Lefty?

It has the alloy lefty, which (no idea why) is preferred by the mechanics where I bought the bike.

the bottle ride is offline VSalonistas

Top notch racing machine- seriously peerless.

kam
    kam is offline VSalonistas

Nice bike.....great price.

Preference for alloy leftys.....they are stiffer than their carbon counterparts. The stiffness usually means less bearing resets over time for the alloy lefty compared to the carbon ones.

ides1056 is offline VSalonistas

How tall are you? I've seen this bike in action, on very technical trails, with a group of very good riders putting it down. Made me want one.

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    How tall are you? I've seen this bike in action, on very technical trails, with a group of very good riders putting it down. Made me want one.
    Hi,
    Sorry, I just saw your question. Right now, it looks like I've got a nice trade lined up, so the bike is off the market. To help you sizing wise, I'm 5'10. I could ride a medium or a large but after racing a medium scalpel I find I prefer my position relative to the bars on the slightly longer frame. The standover is a wash; owing to the sloping design.