Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why everyone needs fenders, at least in places it rains

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Default Why everyone needs fenders, at least in places it rains

I am sulking and pouting in my room near Zurich at the moment because it's raining. Not raining so hard you couldn't have a good ride with a fendered bike but hard enough that riding without fenders would be miserable.

When I get an S&S bike it will definitely have eyelets and clearance for fenders.

I know we've been over this a million times on this forum but today is a perfect example of why they're totally useful. Light rain but wet roads. With fenders maybe get a bit wet but it's manageable. Without them and it's like riding rollers in a cold shower.

That is all.

jjavt is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Why everyone needs fenders, at least in places it rains

I couldn't agree more.

Road bike for 90% of your rides

Cross bike with fenders and fat slicks for the remaining 10%. And these rides are the ones you remember.

zetroc is offline VSalonistas

Getting fenders on my S&S bike is the best decision I've made in the last two years.

(get the Hampsten)
    steve cortez

FNG

jimbo is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by jjavt View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Road bike for 90% of your rides

Cross bike with fenders and fat slicks for the remaining 10%. And these rides are the ones you remember.
    unless of course you live in the PNW, in which case....
    90% of your rides are with fenders, and 10% are on your "road" bike. ;)

hampco is offline VSalonista

just as a footnote - if you're going the s & s route, plastic fenders will pack better than alloy
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "hey, we got grenades!"

wcu
    wcu is offline VSalonistas

Don't have to convince me...I've got 6 fendered bikes. As in never come off.

coolberto hipsterdor is offline VSalonistas

you can always throw race blades on there, they don't work as well as full fenders but at least you won't get the wet / dirty ass thing going.

wasfast is offline VSalonistas

Over multiple years in the PNW, the mileage was split almost 50/50 between rain bike and dry bike. In more recent years with the global weather changes, that shifted more towards the rain bike unfortunately. Here in SD, the rain bike rarely gets out but when it's wet, you get all the roads to yourself!

aaronv is offline VSalonistas

I prefer a fender attached to eyelets, but I have friend who swears by SKS Race Blades for frames without them. For packing a bike, removing the fenders might have some advantages as the metal on most fender stays are easily bent out of shape.

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

There is a (one only? no, one that I remember) nice bike shop in Zurich, though I can never quite remember where it is. I think it is near the modern art museum? They have fenders. Get thee a tram and then fenders verily and go hence.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There is a (one only? no, one that I remember) nice bike shop in Zurich, though I can never quite remember where it is. I think it is near the modern art museum? They have fenders. Get thee a tram and then fenders verily and go hence.
    No eyelets on the Zank. Clearance for minimalistic fenders under the Campagnolo brakes, but no eyelets. Oh well. Tomorrow is supposed to be 13șC with partly cloudy skies. I'll get a ride in tomorrow. Today I'm going to do some beer testing, to find out if the German beer here is still good. Swiss beer is not nearly as good but I might test some of that too.

joosttx is online now VSalonistas

Fenders rock especially on carbon forks

The Joy of Riding a Bike
    my name is Houston

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

Saab, you've used Race Blades, correct? If not, they work pretty well until you can go full-fendered. Put a layer of black electrical tape on the fork blades and seatstays before you strap 'em on.
    a one bike believer

Never used race blades. Anyway, I no longer feel quite so bad. The rain has turned into kind of a deluge, meaning that even with fenders it might not be so great.....

Time to test the beer.

WayneJ is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Never used race blades. Anyway, I no longer feel quite so bad. The rain has turned into kind of a deluge, meaning that even with fenders it might not be so great.....

Time to test the beer.
    Get some bretzels (not pretzels) with the beer.

Gradient is offline VSalonistas

My S&S, tourer, rain bike. Right now it's the only one with fenders so it has seen lots of home action. This mid-90s Fuji tourer was already converted when I bought it. Not Race Blade fenders but some old Cyclepro ones that detach just above the eyelets, makes them easier to pull off. Still a real bitch to include in a 10" S&S case. Did it once, never again. Celtic graphics are the result of my oldest daughter needing a "commercial" project for a graphic design class. About ready to go 10 speed/carbon fork after our liquid sunshine calms down around here.

Damn, don't know why it copied so small! Fixed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gradient; 04-12-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Photo download idiot

962 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Time to test the beer.
    Race blades == wet backs of legs from rear wheel; water shooting up in your face from front wheel.

I'm looking forward to a Ritchey Breakaway 'Cross with real fenders!

fixednwinter is offline VSalonistas

I'm sure people here are sick of hearing me say this, but full coverage fenders are fantastic. I've had good luck with both metal and plastic. As long as they're good quality and installed properly, no problem for either material. I prefer metal for their looks, but plastic makes sense for an S&S coupled bike as Steve points out.

Be sure to have Sheldon Nuts installed too. It will make removing/re-installing the fenders that much easier, and you don't have to waste time re-centering your brakes.

And, at the danger of sounding like Hampco's marketing/advertising department yet again....get a Hampsten SB with couplers, 57mm brakes and fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    I'm sure people here are sick of hearing me say this, but full coverage fenders are fantastic. I've had good luck with both metal and plastic. As long as they're good quality and installed properly, no problem for either material. I prefer metal for their looks, but plastic makes sense for an S&S coupled bike as Steve points out.

Be sure to have Sheldon Nuts installed too. It will make removing/re-installing the fenders that much easier, and you don't have to waste time re-centering your brakes.

And, at the danger of sounding like Hampco's marketing/advertising department yet again....get a Hampsten SB with couplers, 57mm brakes and fenders.
    I'm torn between Hampsten and IF for this project. I've met both Steve (at NAHBS in Austin) and Gary (at the old Boston IF shop and on in Austin as well as at TT's training camp last year). Both make first class stuff and by all accounts are both first class guys to get bikes from....... tough call. But I'm starting a fund for this exact project starting with my next paycheck on the 15th. It needs to happen.

Gradient is offline VSalonistas

One reason to stay with canti's on a travel bike, your rear stays/fork brake are available for immediate fender attachment and fork is easily detached from frame for packing purposes. Trying picture again:

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast