Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Jerseys

boxerboxer is offline VSalonistas

Default White Jerseys

The club is talking about 2013 kit designs and the most popular design among the members is mostly white. Some people are saying they'll be see through and/or gross after a couple washes. I don't want to believe it but if its true thats a poor jersey choice.

What's people's experience with white in general and specifically Specialized and Louis Garneau?
    Ben Ahrens, Real Person™

velobran is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: White Jerseys

You can get dirt/mud out of white jersey with a strong hose post ride.

As for being see-through ... I ride w/ my jersey open in the warmer months so that really wouldn't matter.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

Couple teams ago had LG mostly white jerseys and they were decent quality and not see through.

Do not go with white or mostly white shorts though.

Lazer is offline VSalonistas

I own white jerseys from both manufacturers. Neither are "see through after a couple washes". I was all my cycling gear by hand, with mild detergent. It's lack of washing that makes your clothes "see-through". Oils and salts in your sweat are hard on Lycra, if you don't wash/rinse emediatly after rising, you're doomed no matter the brand. Sounds like the team needs a refresher in clothing care. . What kind of clothing did your team purchase that went "see-through" after a couple washes? You'll want to stay away from that brand.

houston is offline VSalonistas

I wouldn't be concerned too much. I have a super lightweight Campagnolo white jersey and the only downside I notice are with black straps on my bibs showing through. As long as you get white straps/suspenders/whatever-the-hell-they-are-called, you will not have an issue.

If you get the jersey filthy and it looks mangy, Oxy Clean will take it back to white.

boxerboxer is offline VSalonistas

Thanks for the input. As the club email chain continues it looks like people were especially unhappy about the idea of white bibs, which makes more sense, though if we're honest, our lily white northern asses probably show a lot more obviously through black bibs than white ;)
    Ben Ahrens, Real Person™

Moke is offline VSalonistas

White in the arse crack area is a very bad idea. Even with colored shorts printing across that area can be a problem as the shorts/bibs get worn. If you examine the back panel of shorts with printing there you can see the material was white before they sublimated color into the panel. If you live in the notorious red dirt country or race there, white will pick up the red dirt stains pretty hard. With that said white does look very nice. Better if you have rainbow stripes across the chest that you picked up a month or two ago.

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

fat looks really fat in mostly white
    "make the break"

donevwil is offline VSalonistas

If you wear them for a year and the chuck 'em you'll be fine. White does lose it's luster after a lot of use, tends to look dingy. If you wash it aggressively (bleach, etc) to get the white clean the colors will fade. Oxy Clean works great, but doesn't make up for poor maintenance. As Lazer wrote, clean often and if dirty clean immediately. Don't let the dirt dry in or it'll leave spots that'll never go away. I wear my jersies with a lot of white in summer only, because Winter road grime often includes grease, oil, cow dung, etc. and I'm too lazy spot wash it right after the ride.

fmbp is offline VSalonistas

we have a fair amount of white on our kits. After a particularly muddy weekend of 'cross earlier this fall, my jerseys are no longer as white. FWIW - these are Champ Sys kits, and they were rinsed shortly post-race, and washed within a day or two in the washer with OxyClean and detergent. Just a consideration.

One other interesting thing about these kits that I noticed: I actually had a tan-line from my bib shorts on my back this summer - through the jersey! First time I can recall that happening.

-HvA- is offline VSalonistas

Unless you have fenders, road grime is a real bitch to wash out IME if your kit has white in it.

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

+1 on Oxy Clean for dirty white things, but a few points:

Sunscreen will turn the collar orange and this does not come out.

White does get translucent w/ sweat (a.k.a. wet t-shirt contest) and this can be an issue for sun protection on the back and shoulders where skin cancer likes to grow. Ask me how I know this.

Women may have a strong feeling about white on top, in front.

+1 on keeping white off the shorts.

Also keep in mind that when selecting club kit, you should realize that the least fit, least hygienic, and most washer-inept of your crew will be seen in it regularly. You may be on that guy’s wheel, in direct low-angle sun at the end of a long hot day. You are not buying stuff for you but for everybody.

doctor855 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned too much. I have a super lightweight Campagnolo white jersey and the only downside I notice are with black straps on my bibs showing through. As long as you get white straps/suspenders/whatever-the-hell-they-are-called, you will not have an issue.

If you get the jersey filthy and it looks mangy, Oxy Clean will take it back to white.
    you are supposed to wear them on the outside of the jersey anyways.....

Bob Ross is offline VSalonistas

I must exude some kinda weird funk because every white jersey I've owned for longer than a couple years now sports some weird, unnattractive yellowish stains in random splotches on the shoulders and sides.

Nierman is online now VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I must exude some kinda weird funk because every white jersey I've owned for longer than a couple years now sports some weird, unnattractive yellowish stains in random splotches on the shoulders and sides.
    As thollandpe mentioned^, sunscreen will do this. But mine's more anti-freeze yellow than orange tho. I love white jerseys, but I hate white jerseys.

hampco is offline VSalonista

Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "hey, we got grenades!"

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

...when you are 2% BF and they give you a new one every morning.

maunahaole is online now VSalonistas

White kit should only be worn if you are PRO.

+1 on sunscreen staining it. Ask how I know. Doesn't take long for it to happen either.

CycloSean is offline VSalonistas

We have mostly white, LG jerseys this year and mine was torched after two decently muddy cross races. I also agree with the fat factor, white jerseys make fatties looks like the Michelin man. The LG jersey fit us all well, but they tended to bunch up awkwardly in front.

houston is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by doctor855 View Post
    you are supposed to wear them on the outside of the jersey anyways.....
    Good point. White bibs are bad news for me. My boxers usually bunch up in my bibs and the white makes it more visible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast