Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are the 'journalists' in cycling?

henry g. is offline VSalonistas

Default Where are the 'journalists' in cycling?

Kimmage and Walsh were doing what journalists are supposed to do. Speak truth to power (and paid the price for it). So now that Lance's legal pitbulls have been defanged and there are huge cracks in the Omertà when do the journalists start stepping up to keep the UCI from burying the truth, containing the damage and returning to business as usual?

It's not just pro cyclists coming clean on the part they played in allowing the sport to go over a cliff:

Cycling: Former editor - It was a cover-up – and I was part of it
    Ex-Cycling Weekly head says doping was an 'open secret' and regrets not trying to expose it

Cycling: Former editor - It was a cover-up
    The Explainer: I’m shocked, shocked, I say
    The Explainer: I’m shocked, shocked, I say : Red Kite Prayer

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

Default Re: Where are the 'journalists' in cycling?

the fact that you even have to ask...
    "make the break"

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

its like the political media...
    speak truth and you are denied access.

insert picture of phil liggett here

e-RICHIE is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by henry g. View Post
    <cut> when do the journalists start stepping up to keep the UCI from burying the truth, containing the damage and returning to business as usual?
    Here are some are two of my points of view, pasted in -
    SOURCE
    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
    Forget EPO and the testing for it that is part of this chapter – even IF it’s behind the times. Riders get away with (ab)use on a regular basis because the org and the testers are typically a half-step or even a generation behind them. Before the EPO era it was ____ . After the EPO era it will likely be ____ . The issue I have here is touched upon in the original text. Some writers are too close to the all of this for the good of anything. A true journalist – a real journalist – would write about what he heard, or knew, in real time. He wouldn’t wait until it’s fashionable or accepted practice to go against the grain.

These days, more people from the pro ranks are speaking about their experiences. No one was ever fooled by what is being served up atmo. We all knew that PEDs use was part of this sport going back to week one, year one. But the fans love the drama, and the vistas shown on the feeds and in magazine pages when reports are printed a month later, and all the beauty that is bicycle racing. We have accepted the back story because the rewards to us have been worth the watching. But no one ever likes being lied to, or to be condescended upon. That is what we have been exposed to since the Lance Inc thing became this current news story (again). He and his co-conspirators will get their just due, the public hanging they deserve, or they’ll get away with a slap on the wrist and have to spend eternity dealing with their consciences.

My point (in my first reply above) is that the writers HAVE to tell the stories, and tell them in a timely way. If JW is at all intimating that he “knew something was up…” but only now, in this climate, has decided to expose it, I think – fine, better late than not at all. But where were all of these hunches and hearsay stored before the current USADA chapter made talking about what you did/saw/knew/heard a varsity sport?

Men like Paul Kimmage and Willy Voet get my respect for stepping up to the mic and telling their stories when they happened. These men are sports journalists and should be held in high regard. Anyone else who followed the races, the racers, and the related stories and wrote nothing (until writing anything at all became the new black) might not be complicit (to use that word…). But it could be argued that, in suppressing it, he’s less of a reporter and more of a press secretary for the sport he’s covering.
    And -
    SOURCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Pelkey
    Sadly, there is a much larger group of other journo’s – myself included – who, while declining to heap praise on Armstrong, didn’t do nearly enough with the information that we had. We poked around the edges and only did stories when we knew we had our asses completely covered. Few of us took the big risks. Whether driven by fear of lawsuits or losing our jobs, we should, nonetheless, be embarrassed. I know I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
    This ^ is among the best of the revelations of this past week atmo. Thanks so much for writing, Charles. Continued good health and success for you.
    My opinion being that some of the career writers who followed pro cycling were water carriers for the sport and its organization more so than they were journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    the fact that you even have to ask...
    I realize that the reason that very little real journalism goes on in the world of journalism is the same reason doping goes on in cycling. Everyone knows what happens to your paycheck if you don't go along.

But we have an opening now where it's 'safe' to start doing some actual truth telling and making a contribution to the sport you cover. Every bit of added pressure counts. Anything that will provoke more admissions and more focus on the UCI.

Quote Originally Posted by henry g. View Post
    <cut> But we have an opening now where it's 'safe' to start doing some actual truth telling and making a contribution to the sport you cover. Every bit of added pressure counts. Anything that will provoke more admissions and more focus on the UCI.

Each of us has to do what we can to make it stop atmo -

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Savio
    There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels…upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!

cdimattio is offline VSalonistas

NY Times: Armstrong Aide Talks of Doping and Price Paid

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/sp...agewanted=1&hp

Walsh and Kimmage paid the price. Plenty of collateral damage to go around while things went over the cliff.

the bottle ride is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by cdimattio View Post
    NY Times: Armstrong Aide Talks of Doping and Price Paid

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/sp...agewanted=1&hp
    The Emma O'Reilly story has been around since LA Confidental the book came out- I am impressed that the news agencies are finally picking up on it now.

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Here are some are two of my points of view, pasted in -
    SOURCE

And -
    SOURCE

My opinion being that some of the career writers who followed pro cycling were water carriers for the sport and its organization more so than they were journalists.
    Not many people are willing to cut the legs out from under a stool that they are standing on too.
    my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

al415 is offline VSalonistas

Hell,
    Forget about so called Sports Journalists, what about real life? When the world needed another Carl Bernstein we got everyone from Judith Miller (NY Times) to John Burnett (NPR) harping on about the existence of Iraq's WMD's. Writers like Walsh will continue to exist on the fringe of whatever topics they cover, whether that be men in tights riding bicycles up a mountain or phantom chemical weapons plants in oil rich sovereign nations. The truth just doesn't pay.

DOOFUS is offline VSalonistas

the Livestrong PR machine is in full swing -- the Texas football game promotion, the media outreach that is going on now. Tim Herman is everywhere, spouting his loaded language and condition not sufficient cause rubbish.

they will win the PR battle -- we'll see what the UCI actually does or does not do.

Tom
    Tom is offline VSalonistas

Yeah, today in the local paper an article reprinted from the wire services all about how Armstrong is such a great and tireless worker for the cancer cause with, of course, no mention that he wouldn't be in that position if he didn't rise to prominence on the basis of a complete fraud. His PR guys deserve whatever he's paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    the Livestrong PR machine is in full swing -- the Texas football game promotion, the media outreach that is going on now. Tim Herman is everywhere, spouting his loaded language and condition not sufficient cause rubbish.

they will win the PR battle -- we'll see what the UCI actually does or does not do.

The UCI is in Europe. Armstrong can preserve enough low-information cult followers to make a market for his pursuits in the USA and create a bubble where he can run his scam. It's not the stage he used to play on but for guys like Armstrong it's better to be king in hell then serve in heaven. That doesn't help Pat McQuaid in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Hell,
    Forget about so called Sports Journalists, what about real life? When the world needed another Carl Bernstein we got everyone from Judith Miller (NY Times) to John Burnett (NPR) harping on about the existence of Iraq's WMD's. Writers like Walsh will continue to exist on the fringe of whatever topics they cover, whether that be men in tights riding bicycles up a mountain or phantom chemical weapons plants in oil rich sovereign nations. The truth just doesn't pay.
    There are lots of places in the world where practicing real journalism can cost you more then your paycheck. How many journalists have been murdered for what they wrote in the last 12 months?

At this point cycling journalists would not be risking much jumping on the bandwagon that guys like Kimmage and Walsh paid the price to make possible. Better late then never. A tidal wave of non stop outrage in the press could make the UCI's position untenable.

caleb is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sutcliffe
    "I had been taken aside by a number of riders and race organisers in the UK and abroad and had it explained to me in the clichéd words of one syllable why it was not in my interests to report certain things," he said. "In the sharing of that information you were told how it worked, how dope tests could be got around, who was complicit in this sort of cover-up. And I think that cover-up went on and perhaps to some extent is still going on."
    Can't imagine anyone at Sky was very happy to read that last sentence.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 10-14-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: source -

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Can't imagine anyone at Sky was very happy to read that last sentence.
    Please edit your post and add attribution to the quote so we know the source atmo.
    Thanks -

ZenNMotion is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post

Well, here's one guy that strayed a little off-message and is probably kicking himself right now- agreeing in a BBC Radio interview that it might be a good idea to put Lance on a lie detector. Oopsie!

My morning entertainment-
    BBC Sport - Lance Armstrong lawyer cuts short interview

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Please edit your post and add attribution to the quote so we know the source atmo.
    Thanks -
    I don't have the power of editing; it's from the McKay article linked above: Cycling: Former editor - It was a cover-up

(I had tried to quote the OP, but for some reason the links didn't show up so I just deleted the quote.)

What rubs me the wrong way about this whole "story," the six month bans, the offseason truth-telling, etcetera, is that it seems to be timed perfectly to engage in a collective purge, talking all about it in the press (the more the better), and making sure everyone is good and sick of it by the time the Classics roll around. Then it's back to business as usual by the Giro.

I can't help but feel like we're all being played a little bit here: The more we talk now the sooner we all get sick of it and the less of a difference it makes to the bottom line of the sport. Effective journalism isn't just truth-telling, it's also timing. We may have gotten the truth, but it came out at what was calculated to be the time of least consequence. I hope someone is putting at least a few choice nuggets in the freezer with the intent of thawing them out the last week of June next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't have the power of editing; it's from the McKay article linked above: Cycling: Former editor - It was a cover-up

(I had tried to quote the OP, but for some reason the links didn't show up so I just deleted the quote.)

Here's a gem that I like atmo -
    SOURCE
    Andrew Sutcliffe, who edited the prestigious title from 1991 to 1998 and worked in cycling journalism until 2002 – the height of Armstrong's reign – said he regretted "100 per cent" not using his position of influence to clean up the sport and suggested that many other prominent people in the sport knew what was going on but did not act on the information.
    You either speak up, out, report, and expose, or you are JUST A PRESS SECRETARY FOR THE SPORT AND ALL OF ITS DIRTBAGS.

TMB
    TMB is offline VSalonistas

Paul Kimmage's column for today is not on the Independent's website yet, and I will not break the rules here by posting the text, however it has been posted in its entirety on Cyclingnews forum.

Here:

Paul Kimmage - Sunday Independent article - CyclingNews Forum

It is hard to fathom how Roche conflates objective proof with public opinion, and decides that public opinion wins.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast