Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weekend ride and New Year's Day Hangover reports 12/28/12 to 1/1/13

joosttx is offline VSalonistas

Default Weekend ride and New Year's Day Hangover reports 12/28/12 to 1/1/13

I have not seen a post for this weekend's ride reports..... If I missed it please merge this thread into that one.

~60 miles today on a standard Marin route but ever changing scenery, Sir Francis Drake to the HWY 1 and out via Paradise Drive.... wet, cool/cold, and isolated. I saw maybe 3 cyclists.

Have to give props to Too Tall, the NFS chainlube is wonderful even in these wet conditions.

Be safe over this weekend folks tend to drink too much, yo.

Bike is fenderized and lights are attached.

horses in the mist.....

Carbon_Cowboy is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Weekend ride and New Year's Day Hangover reports 12/28/12 to 1/1/13

Rode to Oklahoma and back today.
    Cool road that used to be main highway, but a modern 4 lane was built parallel. No traffic.

Arkansas abode

Refueling with the local version of capp-n-croissant

Got home and snow started falling, did some drinking, gluing and pic taking

jimbo is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_Cowboy View Post
    Rode to Oklahoma and back today.
    Cool road that used to be main highway, but a modern 4 lane was built parallel. No traffic.

Arkansas abode

Refueling with the local version of capp-n-croissant

Got home and snow started falling, did some drinking, gluing and pic taking
    That Peg is freakin' Hot.

3.5 hours today after 4 hours yesterday. I'm riding tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday to finish off the Festive 500.

New Years day will be rest and mucho Beers.

ElvisMerckx is offline VSalonistas

Rode about 40 today with dkeg and d.wilson up in Frederick, MD. The Zank and NFS chain lube excelled in these conditions:

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    Rode about 40 today with dkeg and d.wilson up in Frederick, MD. The Zank and NFS chain lube excelled in these conditions:

Yowza... I would not have made it far with my Zank in those conditions.... I did not know there was that much snow that close to DC!
    My name is James Edward Kile

ElvisMerckx is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Yowza... I would not have made it far with my Zank in those conditions.... I did not know there was that much snow that close to DC!
    It wasn't *that* bad. d.wilson rode 28s and only went down about three times, and we only had to hike about three miles on the shady side of that mountain where CCM hockey skates would have been more appropriate.

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

Wish I could report that I rode longer than it took to wrestle the Nokian Gazza Extremes onto my rims, but no. A weak crust over sugar snow made it pretty much impassable. Too deep to ride, too spotty to ski.

So I took the dog back home to gather up my posse. We snowshoed up and tromped the crap out of that trail. We'll try to ride again tomorrow, else the snowshoes come out again. The good news is that it's snowshoe racing season, and I may have a mile or two in before the first race.

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

It was 9F at my house when I got home today... so I used the elliptical and picked up a loaner snow bike again for the weekend. Laura and I are going out tomorrow, she on XC skis me on the bike.

-Joe

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

thollandpe:

1. Please tell me you own that truck, and
    2. If so, please start a thread to show it off.
    my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

gkk
    gkk is offline VSalonistas

First ride for me since shattering my left wrist a few days before Halloween ... 1 mile to the physical therapist's and back.

Way better than nothing. Happy New Year!

/gkk

d.wilson is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    It wasn't *that* bad. d.wilson rode 28s and only went down about three times, and we only had to hike about three miles on the shady side of that mountain where CCM hockey skates would have been more appropriate.
    aw hell-- i had 32s- don't paint me out as more coordinated than i am. :D

even with the less than perfect conditions, it was still one of those rides with some serious winterscape awesome you don't forget fast. and hiking that much in cleats? that for SURE you don't forget fast!

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    1. Please tell me you own that truck
    Sorry. But there's some great riding (and a decomissioned nuclear-hardened SAC bunker) up where it and a few other relics rest.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Sorry. But there's some great riding (and a decomissioned nuclear-hardened SAC bunker) up where it and a few other relics rest.
    a little wd40 and duck tape , we can get it running.

robin3mj is offline VSalonistas

Managed 2 snowy commutes since my Christmas day ride.
    Hoping to get some real miles in tomorrow.

Raphstrava Festive 500 is a distant memory after this week's weather...it's been a lot more of, "Chelsea, want to go to the lake?"

my name is Matt

MJR77 : random photos

jamesand is offline VSalonistas

Festive 50K of skiing. :-) Deer trail and ski trail.

8321333001_484780eaea_h.jpg8321333377_31e548e13e_h.jpg
    Start slow, then taper off.

savine is offline VSalonistas

Rode 50k yesterday with a couple of boys, my first time on a bike for six weeks thanks to loadsa work. Done 50 again this morning the good lady wife which was sweet as I rode on my winter fixed will have no ride on sunday but out for f* a planned four on monday.

christian is offline VSalonistas

Had an hour until the snow was supposed to be falling, so hopped on to do the local 15 mile loop, figuring I'd get home before any precipitation.

Hwy 128 toward Armonk

Someone lays a pretty fillet! But Vittoria XMs sure don't roll like Paves. Probably should have ridden the road bike.

Wait, what's that, snow? I'm like Han Solo entering light speed. If Han Solo had cold feet.

Hwy 120 back up the ridge... Maybe the cx bike wasn't such a bad idea.

Slipping back into the neighborhood. Literally.

Thanks Mike!

Someone slowed their car, rolled down the window and gave me one of these as a hand-up, with the encouragement, "You're crazy!" Similar to a Larabar.

Hope they plow, so we can ride the Signature-Rapha ride tomorrow!

davids is offline VSalonista

A snowy set of rides!

I made it out to the Great Blue Hills for yet another solo ride, stopping to fill up the Fit's gas tank and buy a tub of Snow Melt on the way. Then about two hours, stringing together a bunch of my regular trails and a bunch of the trails less traveled. Here's a photo from where I was forced to stop and portage over a fallen tree. This is the one flat spot in the middle of a longish steep climb:

We're so lucky to have such a fantastic park so close to town.
    GO!

majl is offline VSalonistas

All these cold weather photos make me shiver - how about some summer pics for a change? Down south in Punta Ballena, Uruguay on our annual family trip.

Got the bike put together the day we got in on the 22nd and snuck in one 70km ride on the 23rd before we had to leave for Buenos Aires to spend xmas with my wife's familia.

Back on the 25th and have another four days and 350km under my belt - damn rapha challenge is making it seem like work! Scenery and people are beautiful as always. Was on an exploratory ride today which included over 40km of dirt that I hadn't been on before. First time down here when I felt it would have been really nice to be on MTB. Ran into a guy and his kid on ATVs out in the middle of nowhere, and he stops and tells me he lives in the lone house I had just passed about 10 minutes ago and if I need anything to head back and see him. His first question was: "What are you doing out here on that bike? At least you have wide(r) tires!" Turns out he rides MTB. Good folk - good times. Here's a few pics.

Out of the case and ready to roll.

Spectacular day in the saddle today.

I feel like I'm cheating this year with the Garmin 800 but it sure does make things easy for route planning on unknown roads.

Pit stop at the local market in the small town of Pan de Azucar. Long, hot day - this may have been the best coke ever.

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Proof.
    That I rode this morning. I'm actually hoping for #$%^#^#$ weather. I'm an idiot and it's fun to riding in weather. Started in rain, changed to freezing rain, changed to sleep and freezing rain than snow. Yuck yuck I ran into a guy taking a picture of himself to taunt his pals with. His friends stayed home. Smart friends.
    There it is, two hrs. and frozen to the bone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast