Thread: TIME Roc ATAC & TIME XS Carbon ATAC - same cleats?

fixednwinter is offline VSalonistas

Default TIME Roc ATAC & TIME XS Carbon ATAC - same cleats?

I'm still new to TIME MTB bike pedals. I bought a couple of sets last summer of the basic Roc ATAC model to try them out on my gravel road bikes and I'm happy so far.

Does their TIME XS Carbon ATAC (their top line version) use the same cleat? I assume it does, but wanted to double check. I tried Google but didn't find a definitive answer.

roseyscot is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: TIME Roc ATAC & TIME XS Carbon ATAC - same cleats?

Cleat is the same, but frankly, the less expensive roc with the round engagement bars feels better than the more expensive atac series. Also, I am finding the atac pedals develop slop pretty quickly due to loosening springs.

edoz is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Also, I am finding the atac pedals develop slop pretty quickly due to loosening springs.
    I haven't shared that experience. I've used them for years on multiple bikes and they've not loosened up on me. I wonder what's different about our situations.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I haven't shared that experience. I've used them for years on multiple bikes and they've not loosened up on me. I wonder what's different about our situations.
    I use the nicer atac for cx and mtb and find
    1. The pin holding the spring in place tends to move and cause slop in the spring. I have to tap it back into position with a nail punch every 4-5 rides to tighten things up again
    2. The rounded bars of the roc models play much nicer with cleats of varying age
    3. The non-round atac tension bars (?) grind through my shoes very quickly, even with the brass cleat guards from mavic or crank brothers and then the pedals really feel loose and crummy under foot

I like the look and weight savings of the atac, but I frankly think the roc line is a better performer. Oh, and this experience is with 3 different atac pedals.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

i found the time w/ the forged retention bars ( not round ) worked worse than the older ones. the attachment was not solid to me. too much rocking.
    solution?
    xt pedals. they rock.

i donated 5 pr of time pedals and 5 pr of cleats to a gabrone i know.
    my patience is extremely limited.

Roseyscot, thanks for the enlightening information. I was thinking of going with a lighter, higher-end pair for one of my bikes. But given your experience, I'll stay with the Roc models. They have been trouble free so far.

edoz is offline VSalonistas

I use the nicer atac for cx and mtb and find
    1. The pin holding the spring in place tends to move and cause slop in the spring. I have to tap it back into position with a nail punch every 4-5 rides to tighten things up again
    2. The rounded bars of the roc models play much nicer with cleats of varying age
    3. The non-round atac tension bars (?) grind through my shoes very quickly, even with the brass cleat guards from mavic or crank brothers and then the pedals really feel loose and crummy under foot

I like the look and weight savings of the atac, but I frankly think the roc line is a better performer. Oh, and this experience is with 3 different atac pedals.
    I haven't used the Rocs, I've used the nice ones or the old Aliums. Of the nice ones I've had, they were all round bars. I haven't bought a set since they switched to the flat ones. I had one of my spring pins try to work itself out, but I drove it back in and used a center punch to mushroom both ends of the pin and it was fine. Other than that, the only problem I've had is the plastic plates falling off my set of the old World Cup model.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

alexstar is offline VSalonistas

Give me round bars or give me death.
    Old Aliums, new Aliums, and ROC ATACs on all of my dirt-oriented bikes and nary a problem.

Diablo de Acero is offline VSalonistas

I have both style pedals old(round) and new (forged). I like them both. Three of my old atacs are still in heavy use and still work great. The new one has a two position spring tension adjustment on the pointy end of the pedal.

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

LOVE my ATACs
    never issues with the pedal itself
    cleats rub down fast
    "make the break"

SpeedyChix is offline VSalonistas

1. The rounded bars of the roc models play much nicer with cleats of varying age
    2. The non-round atac tension bars (?) grind through my shoes very quickly, even with the brass cleat guards from mavic or crank brothers and then the pedals really feel loose and crummy under foot
    Cleats are the same for all.

Longtime user of ATACs. The older models with the round bars are much kinder to shoe soles, even with the guards as noted above. Also semi-worn cleats play nicer with the round bats.

Mud clears better from the newer style. Never had issues with the pins.

Still use Shimano pedals on the "travel" bike and have been getting closer to moving back to Shimano for all dirt/mtb/cx use.
    - Anne G
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Race Go Drakes Coffee
    Power by Design Coaching, LLC

Thanks to all, for the feedback. You just saved me a lot of money! I'll stick with the TIME Roc pedals that I already have, and its round bars.

i hate to admit it, but stevep was right. the best solution is to use shimano XT. I picked up a set of the 780s for a song from nashbar and they are great. i'm now in the process of divesting my non-round bar'd time ATAC pedals.

damn you shimano for making quality products (disc brakes, pedals, mtb drivetrains) and preventing me from continuing my dislike of your stuff that was fostered in the late 90s.

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

The roc attac are fine and still sold. I love mines. I have a much better feeling with them than spd pedals probably because of the full lateral float.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I have a much better feeling with them than spd pedals probably because of the full lateral float.
    The full lateral float is likely why I've been sticking it out with TIME, both with their ATAC and their older generation Impact and RXS road models (I haven't bothered with the road iClic line, and probably never will). My knees seem to like that type of float.

I do appreciate the function and quality of Shimano pedals though, as roseycot mentioned.