Thread: Tampa Bay Bike Rental- Shop recomendation

Bobqzz is offline VSalonistas

Default Tampa Bay Bike Rental- Shop recomendation

I'm taking the family to Tampa for school vacation, and I'd like to rent a bike for at least a few days. Any recommendations for a place that has something besides a hybrid or beach cruiser?

Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista

Default Re: Tampa Bay Bike Rental- Shop recomendation

are you looking to upgrade from a hybrid or beach cruiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Human Epic Jolt View Post
    are you looking to upgrade from a hybrid or beach cruiser?
    Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I'd like a road bike if possible.

Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista

like a hybrid or cruiser... hmm.

BIG SHOUT OUT TO TAMPA BAY AREA!

fa63 is offline VSalonistas

Outspokin has a good selection, but they are in Clearwater so it may be a bit out of the way depending on what part of town you will be staying in. There is also Just Ride Bicycles, but again they are in Riverview (Brandon) area which is outside of Tampa proper.

Where will you be staying?

Quote Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
    Outspokin has a good selection, but they are in Clearwater so it may be a bit out of the way depending on what part of town you will be staying in. There is also Just Ride Bicycles, but again they are in Riverview (Brandon) area which is outside of Tampa proper.

Where will you be staying?
    Thank you and Residence Inn in Oldsmar

clementine is offline VSalonistas

Chainwheel Drive in Clearwater is best bet-- there's one closer to you in Palm Harbor but they don't do rentals; Outspokin is nearby if curious. There's great riding in Pinellas Cty once you get used to the set up and rhythm, all the way from St Pete up to Tarpon Springs. Only downside is you'll almost certainly want to drive out there (most likely to the Public parking in Dunedin, which is where regular group rides depart from) though there are some options-- most heading north-- if you want to just roll out the door. Riding in that area is significanty more boring, howev. If you've not been to Tampa, St Pete don't be dissuaded by the blasted strip mall six-lane county roads etc. Tons of great weird stuff off of there and the native Floridian environment is awesome. Bridges to/from Clearwater Beach can give you at least a little climbing, as can the punchy Pinellas Trail overpasses in/near St Pete. Riding from Clearwater Beach to St Pete Beach is a must btw, wind can be brutal enough you won't miss the hills either.

fa63 is offline VSalonistas

Outspokin will be about 10 miles from where you are staying. Their website also says they have a South Tampa location opening in early February, which should be a lot closer to Oldsmar. Anyways, I rented once from the Clearwater location and they were great so I would recommend them.

Bobonli is offline VSalonistas

I know you didn't ask this but I cannot help myself: consider bringing your own bike, if you can.

I just returned from Orlando. Prior to going there I did what you are doing: looked for rentals. The couple of places I found were too far away from my hotel to make financial sense. Cab fare too and from the hotel and other logistics (having to get to the shop the day before departure) made it impractical. Of course I run into a salon member who brought his own bike and got to enjoy the wonderful climate without the hassle of looking for a rental shop or interrupting his schedule too much. The price I would have paid for the cab, rental and other aggravation would have gone more than half way to a bike case.

Just offering another option. Enjoy your trip. I almost got to land in RI on Wednesday when my home airport was socked in by fog!

C50
    C50 is offline VSalonistas

What size are you looking for? I am in New Tampa (north suburb) and depending on size and logistics can come up with something, either a "demo" from the shop or one of my own for week to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I know you didn't ask this but I cannot help myself: consider bringing your own bike, if you can.

I just returned from Orlando. Prior to going there I did what you are doing: looked for rentals. The couple of places I found were too far away from my hotel to make financial sense. Cab fare too and from the hotel and other logistics (having to get to the shop the day before departure) made it impractical. Of course I run into a salon member who brought his own bike and got to enjoy the wonderful climate without the hassle of looking for a rental shop or interrupting his schedule too much. The price I would have paid for the cab, rental and other aggravation would have gone more than half way to a bike case.

Just offering another option. Enjoy your trip. I almost got to land in RI on Wednesday when my home airport was socked in by fog!
    I did, but it is just too much hassle. I will have rental car, so that makes logistics of getting a rental easier. I'd probably do it if I was going by myself because I'd end up riding for hours every day, but I'll just be trying to get in a few decent rides early in the mornings before the family is up. Aside from enjoying what I hope is warm weather, I hope to maintain cycling fitness over vacation. Good thought though

Quote Originally Posted by C50 View Post
    What size are you looking for? I am in New Tampa (north suburb) and depending on size and logistics can come up with something, either a "demo" from the shop or one of my own for week to ride.
    Wow, that's incredibly generous of you. My bikes are all Softrides, so the sizing is sort of fuzzy in that they are very adjustable, but somewhere in the 56-58 range would be fine I think.

clementine is offline VSalonistas

Just checked the map-- Residence Inn is MUCH closer to Clearwater/Palm Harbor than it is to Tampa so, assuming you'll be driving too, your best bets are mostly in Pinellas... Straight shot easy drive down Curley to that Publix in Dunedin I mentioned... Tampa Road, which you'll be on, is more ridable now (bike lanes) than it used to be but it's not something you wanna be on long or often. However, if time is short or just to mix things up, you can head north on Race Track Road pretty safely and explore or zig-zag around x # of boring but quiet developments... Good luck! And don't forget to ride to Fort DeSoto sometime--

http://www.stpete.org/pdf/stpetebikemap.pdf