Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serotta snark (don't say you weren't warned)

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

Default Serotta snark (don't say you weren't warned)

Serotta Viaggio SE: The fully custom, high performance titanium travel bike.

But don’t ask for…
    Internal electronic routing. We don’t recommend drilling extra holes in metal frames, particularly on a travel bike. It’s simply not a good idea to weaken a frame. Take it as a bit of wisdom from a company that has built thousands of frames over four decades. The nicest way to enjoy your bicycle is to be able to ride it with everything working. We’re not being old fashioned, just wise.

----

1. Please Google "Honjo", "Berthoud", or even "Velo Orange". ASAP.
    2. Do water bottle bosses, drain holes, and internal cable routing weaken a frame?

Positive stuff - that fork is really nice. Could definitely fill a hole in the market.

bironi is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Serotta snark (don't say you weren't warned)

I'd be snarky about this:

MSRP
    Frame + fork: $6,895

gregl is offline VSalonistas

I think this model has already jumped the snark...

d.wilson is offline VSalonistas

i dunno... what electronics make that big of a difference that a zip tie and whip round a cable housing wouldn't effectively hide it? COULD be them being fussy-- but it's also practical-- why route cables through a frame you're going to take in half anyhow? just go wireless for computers, and battery for lights. :idk: but i agree.. thems some UGLY fendros. plain old aluminum VO'sd make that thing about loverly.

all that said-- i'd ride the hell outa that thing if it turned up in my garage.

skouri1 is offline VSalonistas

I'm most interested in the new stock race bike "Pronto" could use a better name. But $4300 seems pretty f'ing cheap for a US made complete ti race bike... I'm wondering what build kit will be offered.
    Serotta Production Begins on First of 2 New Market-Competitive Models » Serotta

JChasse is offline VSalonistas

for seven large, seems like they could have taken a picture with the front fender fitted a little better...and come a little closer to matching the fork finish to the frame finish.

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by d.wilson View Post
    i dunno... what electronics make that big of a difference that a zip tie and whip round a cable housing wouldn't effectively hide it? COULD be them being fussy-- but it's also practical-- why route cables through a frame you're going to take in half anyhow? just go wireless for computers, and battery for lights. :idk: but i agree.. thems some UGLY fendros. plain old aluminum VO'sd make that thing about loverly.

all that said-- i'd ride the hell outa that thing if it turned up in my garage.
    With the Ultegra stuff, it seems that unplugging a wire or two after you disconnect the DT coupler would be much simpler than dealing with cables on a mechanical drivetrain...right?

Matthew Strongin is offline sheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheversshevers

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    With the Ultegra stuff, it seems that unplugging a wire or two after you disconnect the DT coupler would be much simpler than dealing with cables on a mechanical drivetrain...right?
    The cables are easy as could be with splitters. Un-threading two small couplings takes a minute. The third one is for the rear brake, which you'd need even with di2.

palincss is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    It's no big deal dealing with cable splitters in a mechanical drive train on a separable frame. Of course, those cables are external and the splitters are right out where you can see them and unscrew them. I'm not sure how you'd go about dealing with an electrical plug inside a frame.

TMB
    TMB is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I'd be snarky about this:

MSRP
    Frame + fork: $6,895
    ????

Holy crap.

al415 is offline VSalonistas

I never posted in any of the threads that pop up about Serotta because I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said before; but bloody hell that website! I'm looking at the 54/55cm Gaulzetti that's been leaning against my wall since yesterday and it looks so fxxking purposeful and evil that I wonder why anyone would ever build a bike any other way. The bikes that have been chosen to represent Serotta on that website paint a really poor picture of the brand. I know there are some beasts riding my local roads on Serottas, so why do all the bikes on the website look so bloody pedestrian and toothless? Ok, rant off and I'm sorry in advance for the mini derail.

Bob Ross is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
    I'm not sure how you'd go about dealing with an electrical plug inside a frame.
    You'd simply have to build enough slack into the wires so the frame could be separated and then the (now revealed) wire couplers could be uncoupled

...and of course, slack wires inside a frame = rattling noises to drive you batsh!t.

Mark Kelly is online now VSalonista (docendo discimus)

Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
    I'm not sure how you'd go about dealing with an electrical plug inside a frame.
    It would be a matter of ten minutes' work to sort out a set of plugs which integrated into the couplers so they connected and disconnected automatically. There are thousands of types of industrial sensor connections which are intended to achieve the robust ease of use required.

Bob Ross is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    It would be a matter of ten minutes' work to sort out a set of plugs which integrated into the couplers so they connected and disconnected automatically.
    Oh, wow, what a great idea! Something like a Whirlwind MASS connector:
    w41rp_34_600w.jpg

rphetteplace is offline VSalonistas

So Lance Armstrong, a Serotta, and a Trek walk into a bar.....

boxerboxer is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    It would be a matter of ten minutes' work to sort out a set of plugs which integrated into the couplers so they connected and disconnected automatically. There are thousands of types of industrial sensor connections which are intended to achieve the robust ease of use required.
    Bahahaha, 10 minutes... that's a drop in the bucket of the actual time it would take. Once you got it together though it would be awesome because you'd never have to fish a wire out of a tiny hole.

echelon_john is offline VSalonistas

wireless Di2 raison d'ętre #72

Z3c
    Z3c is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    wireless Di2 raison d'ętre #72
    Yea, cause having four(five with bonus shifters) batteries would be really great.. ain't gonnna' happen anytime soon.

TMB
    TMB is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    I never posted in any of the threads that pop up about Serotta because I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said before; but bloody hell that website! I'm looking at the 54/55cm Gaulzetti that's been leaning against my wall since yesterday and it looks so fxxking purposeful and evil that I wonder why anyone would ever build a bike any other way. The bikes that have been chosen to represent Serotta on that website paint a really poor picture of the brand. I know there are some beasts riding my local roads on Serottas, so why do all the bikes on the website look so bloody pedestrian and toothless? Ok, rant off and I'm sorry in advance for the mini derail.
    I live in Western Canada, I have no investment, emotional or otherwise, in Serotta. Apart from those I see at the annual Tour de Scottsdale I have only ever two Serottas in the wild, and they were pretty good looking bikes.

That said, my two primary bikes are a Pegoretti Luigino and a coupled steel travel bike that Carl Strong built for me. When I look at that website, and that featured bike, it just doesn't look right to me. It is not what I expect a bike of mine to look like. It seems ungainly.

Not sure how else to explain it, but, ignoring the price, it is not a bike that would draw me to the brand.

Z3c
    Z3c is offline VSalonistas

Serotta=Schwinn; slowly working their way to being history. If this first step is any indication they certainly don't seem to be listening to anything suggested here..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast