Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: road bike disk brakes - ready for prime time?

lardo is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: road bike disk brakes - ready for prime time?

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    I've already pulled on the DT compatability thread. As far as I can tell, it's little more than legend. The DT freehub part numbers for Shimano disc vs. road are distinctly different, so I imagined the Campy road freehub wouldn't work. So I wrote DT. It took about 20 e-mails before the Swiss engineer grasped the concept of running Campy with disc brakes (and I speak German even). Once he did, he left me an ambiguous reply, ie, 'it should'. I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin with uncertainty from the manufacturer.
    This is doable, I've done it.

DT 240s mountain disc hub + Campag freehub body (as you would find on a 240s road hub). It really is that simple.

Tristan is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    This is doable, I've done it.

DT 240s mountain disc hub + Campag freehub body (as you would find on a 240s road hub). It really is that simple.
    Yep - I'll second.

I've got a similar build in the queue at the moment for a Campag 'super commuter'

ElvisMerckx is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Yep - I'll second.
    Can either of you confirm this with a photo?

Again, I keep hearing that it works, but I haven't seen it. And that's a lot of bills to drop if it doesn't work.

rmplum is offline VSalonistas

Is there any part that crosses build boundaries (and bike build $ ranges) more than the Avid BB7? It's too bad there is not a more elegant solution around these days, cuz if any bike begs for it, it's that one.

Don't get me wrong though, I love them. They are on my current bike and have been on my past bikes. They just work, in all of their cable brake, heavy-ish sorta glory. And I've never owned a brake that was easier to set up.

They are everywhere.

Tristan is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    Can either of you confirm this with a photo?

Again, I keep hearing that it works, but I haven't seen it. And that's a lot of bills to drop if it doesn't work.

DT Swiss 240s hub with Campag freehub body by wheelworks.co.nz, on Flickr

ElvisMerckx is offline VSalonistas

Hey now! You've just sold me on my next bike build! Thanks!

billrick is offline VSalonistas

Okay, I have drafted my email inquiry and picked out four possible V-salon builders for my disc brake road/cx/allrounder bike.

I'm going to hit send after NAHBS to get the ball rolling on this project.

And thanks for the photos of the DT Swiss wheels and Campy freehub. That opens a whole new world of cool ideas for me!

AsanaCycles is offline VSalonistas

today I crossed paths with Susan and Robert of Volagi
    Volagi | The Will To Go

rockin bike if you haven't already seen one.

krooj is offline VSalonistas

It would be really nice if Trek re-introduced the Proprad Disc with a non-retarded Lemond geometry.

as things turned out
    while in Ventura working with Team Exergy
    I was out and about and crossed paths with Robert and Susan of Volagi
    16lb road bike with disc brakes

awesome bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

andyman is offline VSalonistas

Here is a road bike that can be had with front or rear disc.
    New Model – Calfee Adventure | Calfee Design

Did anyone notice the big trend at NAHBS? Ready for prime time! Granted they were mostly adventure bikes, but I saw a few disc braked road and CX bikes in the mix. Post your photos here . . .

Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    viola, 130, disc, campy - nice.
    fyi. novatech produces campagnolo and shimano 130mm disc hub.

D352SB - D452SB

I'm getting sorta close to done with mine. Still have some handlebar issues to figure out (that's a Deda 215 shallow I'm trying right now), and wavering between seatposts (setback/non).

32c slicks are all kinds of fun though, and I need to "fade" my bar cork a shade.

Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    I'm getting sorta close to done with mine. Still have some handlebar issues to figure out (that's a Deda 215 shallow I'm trying right now), and wavering between seatposts (setback/non).

32c slicks are all kinds of fun though, and I need to "fade" my bar cork a shade.
    Very nice! Any thoughts to going bigger on the tires? Kind of shame to waste all that clearance on a wee-little 32mm tire.

And how are you liking the BB7s? You might consider cutting three inches of housing off your rear brake cable. I find that short and rigid housing is key to getting the best feel on those things.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Very nice! Any thoughts to going bigger on the tires? Kind of shame to waste all that clearance on a wee-little 32mm tire.
    Well, those wide Salsa Delgado rims make those "wee-little 32mm tires" all that they can be. There's room for more, but these came with it (i.e. free-ish) and work too well to warrant replacing early. The wheels are quite overbuilt (that rear XT hub is a tank) for 90% of what I'm going to do on this bike, so it's hard to gripe about tires too much.

Quote Originally Posted by billrick
    And how are you liking the BB7s? You might consider cutting three inches of housing off your rear brake cable. I find that short and rigid housing is key to getting the best feel on those things.
    This is my first experience with the road BB7s, and they work quite well with the Shimano levers. Effortless deceleration indeed. Yeah, there's quite a bit of housing back there, I'll get to it eventually. I've had a kid in either the hospital (flu, extended elbow), doc's office (flu, ear infections) at least once/week the past 6-7 weeks. Playing with the bike has been pushed down the priority list a bit.

I need to scrounge up a 90 or 100mm silver 31.8 stem so I can try out a few more bar options. I spared you guys the horror of seeing it flying the Woodchipper "horns".

That wee-little comment was sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. I'm running Michelin 32mm on my current bike and love them. Looks like a perfect setup, very cloe to what I want.

My next bike will be built for BB7s and Jack Browns at 33.3mm with fenders. I'm still debating how much clearance I really need for the bigger size tires, since I want to run this bike with studded tires in the winter. Maybe 40mm (Schwalbe) or 42mm (Nokians)? Not sure if 33.3 to 42 is a reasonable tire range to design a bike around, so I guess I'll leave it up to the builder.

I hear you on the kids! I'm guessing you have boys? We have two and recently went to the ER three times in two weeks for three different emergencies - high fever, split forehead, and severe allergic reaction. Hope you all are on the mend soon.

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    That wee-little comment was sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. I'm running Michelin 32mm on my current bike and love them. Looks like a perfect setup, very cloe to what I want.
    I thought that. I like the Jack Browns, but functionally these are pretty much the same. And paid for.

My next bike will be built for BB7s and Jack Browns at 33.3mm with fenders. I'm still debating how much clearance I really need for the bigger size tires, since I want to run this bike with studded tires in the winter. Maybe 40mm (Schwalbe) or 42mm (Nokians)? Not sure if 33.3 to 42 is a reasonable tire range to design a bike around, so I guess I'll leave it up to the builder.
    I think my fenders are the Planet Bike 45 model, plenty of room with my 35C studded schwalbes. I think those 35mm Schwalbes are more than enough tire. I've owned the "45mm" Nokians, and they are pretty skinny - even on wide mtb rims - they measure more like 35mm tires IIRC. I find the Schwalbes roll nicer and they have reflective sidewalls.

I'm really happy with the 1x9, but having that floppy left shifter really bugs me, so I'll probably try a Paul Thumbie with a Dura Ace bar end shifter. I'm not really a racer (1 or 2 per year), and I think having dedicated brake levers will be nice for my needs. It will also let me try the SRAM brake levers, which look very comfy.

I hear you on the kids! I'm guessing you have boys? We have two and recently went to the ER three times in two weeks for three different emergencies - high fever, split forehead, and severe allergic reaction. Hope you all are on the mend soon.
    Girl (about to turn 5) and boy (about to turn 2). The boy has ear tubes in and still is getting frequent ear infections. Poor little guy.

I've been working on some new stuff
    Volagi | The Will To Go
    they are really nice bikes.

three groupos
    Rival, Ultegra and DA

the DA bike comes in very close to 16lbs
    the Rival about 18lbs