Thread: Ridley Crossbow sizing

soBRIquet is offline VSalonistas

Default Ridley Crossbow sizing

Well, I bought a Ridley Crossbow (new) a couple weeks ago. I finally got a chance to open up the box and take 'er out.

I ordered a 58.
    The sticker/receipt in the box clearly says "58."
    There is no size sticker (that I can see) on the frame (is this located somewhere like the bb? don't want to unwrap it more than needed...)

However, when I measured the head tube, it measures at 18.5, not 20.5.
    Did I get a 56, or did I order the wrong frickin' size frame?

Here's a sizing chart:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...lets-6399.html

wasfast is offline VSalonistas

I can't comment on exactly what you bought. However, having recently bought what I thought would be the correct size frame, it was too big in a couple ways. I normally ride a 56cm TT on road bikes, bought a 54cm Ridley X-Fire. The geometry is a bit odd with a 165 HT on a 54 frame. The standover was definitely taller, I think because the entire frame sits higher in space due to the clearance for the wheels in the fork and stays.

All that rambling to say you may want to do some measuring etc before you return the frame.

bellman is offline VSalonistas

The Ridleys are famous for being purchased in the wrong size, I bougt a 54 and once built it measured like a 56 which means I would need a 52? (it actually is more like a size and a half off)
    This scenario has played out more than once. Your situation is the first time I've ever heard of it going the other way though. I wouldnt hesitate to unwrap as much of it as you need to determine the size, wrong is wrong.....
    Yikes, good luck

pdb
    pdb is offline VSalonistas

From the chart, clearly sounds like they sent you the wrong frame...

johnmdesigner is offline VSalonistas

I have a 56 Ridley X Fire in front of me. 18.5 head tube. Did you check the top tube?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    I have a 56 Ridley X Fire in front of me. 18.5 head tube. Did you check the top tube?
    yes, and it seems like it's 57cm c-c, which would mean that they sent me the correct frame. However, I find it very easy to screw up a c-c measurement by 5mm on each end (finding the center of the tube should be easy, I know...).

Anyway, I'll chat with them on Monday. It's really not a big deal, and an understandable mistake. I just wasn't sure if a mistake was made, or if I mis-read something.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

okay, I just went and peeled back the packaging cover of the bb. Here's what I found.

A sticker that says "58cc."
    Another clearcoated sticker that says "301056."
    Two painted over serial numbers, the top one which ends in a "58."
    Then, two more stickers from the Ridley QC inspectors.

Maybe the QC stickers mean "quite confusing."
    Anybody else care to help decipher that stuff?

One thing I'm quite sure of - it's not the shop's fault.

twowheels is offline VSalonistas

have to ask, is there a reason you didn't get a zank?

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    have to ask, is there a reason you didn't get a zank?
    I decided that I wanted to try cross this fall about a month ago. Since Zank orders placed now, are being delivered in fall 2010, that's not an option.

Besides, I'd rather try it on a much cheaper bike and figure out what I need/like before going custom.

Edit: That goes for all builders, with/without wait lists.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

sounds like italian clothing sizing..

" oh, the guy ordered medium? take the xs pr that we have too many of and change the label to medium... send it right out..the stuff stretches anyway..."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    sounds like italian clothing sizing..

" oh, the guy ordered medium? take the xs pr that we have too many of and change the label to medium... send it right out..the stuff stretches anyway..."
    HA! Similarly, I bought my first Colnago on Ebay and confused the c-t seat tube measurement with conventional c-c. So the Italians confused me last time. I thought I'd made that mistake again - hence why I started the thread.

If it was mis-labeling, or "creative" labeling by the Belgians, it's simply a nuisance to me. The unfortunate part is the headache for the dealer. That's not cool. It costs them money to deal with this crap. Does the dealer have to measure every frame before they ship it? Not trying to start an anti-Ridley vibe here - far from it. Just and "anti-sloppiness" vibe.

By the way, I could make this 56/58 frame work, but it would entail flipping up the stem. What sayeth the hordes about THAT?

ridethecliche is offline VSalonistas

Nothing wrong with a flipped up stem, BUT you should have the bike you ordered and not the wrong one...

happycampyer is online now VSalonistas

As an aside, two demerits and a fine to SteveP if you didn't get the bike from the jerk. The jerk's vsalon deal on these can't be beat (I got one last year, and c is the best to deal with). Ridley sizing is a bit funky even before they start mislabeling the frames. :)

Of course, if you did get it from Craig, he'll take care of you.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

im in the
    make sure you got what you ordered and then go with it.
    not dealers fault but hes a dealer and stuff like this happens and im sure he wants the same.
    dont compromise the fit.
    get the thing right before building it, riding it and hating it and selling it for all the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    As an aside, two demerits and a fine to SteveP if you didn't get the bike from the jerk. The jerk's vsalon deal on these can't be beat (I got one last year, and c is the best to deal with). Ridley sizing is a bit funky even before they start mislabeling the frames. :)

Of course, if you did get it from Craig, he'll take care of you.
    Yep, I got it from the Jerk.
    He's been great, I have no doubt in his or his crew's attention to detail either.
    This clearly wasn't their fault, and that's why I hate to be a pain in the ass about it.
    By the way, you're right, his pricing and setups are awesome.

Now, if any of yous guys go and buy the last 58 while I'm trying to get this sorted out, I WILL hunt you down! lol...

ridethecliche is offline VSalonistas

Dude, just get the jerk to tell you what to measure and how. Send him the numbers and you'll see what happened. If all is fine, then maybe you need a different size, if something happened along the way, then you'll get your size.

It's not that hard. Get that crap working so you can come on out!

happycampyer is online now VSalonistas

As wasfast and others have pointed out, the Ridleys run big. All of my road bikes have a 56cm-ish effective top tube, and I got the 54 Crossbow, which fits like a "56." If you normally ride a bike with a 57-58cm ett, then this bike is probably the right size for you. The mismatched labeling is a mystery. In any case, you're in good hands—the jerk will get you sorted out no worries.

jerk is offline VSalonista

hey all-
    back from my trip and late to the party. sorry! that is really bizare brian. i replied to your email and we'll figure it out. it does sound like someone at ridley screwed something up. we generally assume that the frames being sent to us are what they say they are and then verifying it by looking at the size decal on the serial number. we'll get you sorted and i've instructed the guys to verify and hold the remaining 58cm we have in case we need to get it to you.

craig/jerk

Default Working on a Sunday?

Damn, thanks so much Craig.
    I got your email. I wasn't really expecting a response to mine until tomorrow. Top notch.
    After your response, this thread now can morph itself into a "this is how it should be done" story.
    I HATE working on Sundays. Because of that, I never forget those who do.
    Thanks again,
    Brian