Thread: Rebirth of the FUSO brand

alexstar is offline VSalonistas

Default Rebirth of the FUSO brand

It appears that Russ Denny, who apprenticed under Dave Moulton for eight years and built bikes with him under the FUSO brand, is reviving the FUSO name with a relaunch at NAHBS. Russ has been building bikes under his own name (and for other companies) since 1993 when Dave Moulton quit the framebuilding business.

http://www.fusobicycles.com/

I, for one, am excited to buy a new FUSO. I have one - a cyclocross bike from 1991 - and although it is a great bike, I would like to buy a modernized version (threadless stem, etc). Dave Moulton was a master, and while he won't be involved this time around, Russ is certainly a fine craftsman and I have every faith that he will carry on the FUSO tradition of excellence.

Any thoughts?

sneedle3 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Rebirth of the FUSO brand

I, for one, will be curious to see what Russ presents. I'm always scouring Ebay for a FUSO in my size (or a Slim Chance or Spanky). They were cool frames.

I've seen plenty of Russ' road and tri frames riding around San Diego County. Very nice.

Scott

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

I enjoy reading Dave Moulton's blog. Equal amounts frame science, history and political advocacy. http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/

merckxman is offline VSalonistas

Sometimes the "John Howard" frames, made by Moulton, go under the radar on ebay...

classtimesailer is online now VSalonistas

I think he is building custom Ritte frames.

zetroc is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I think he is building custom Ritte frames.

Yep, I saw that he's doing their custom steel bikes on some blog recently. Pretty cool.
    steve cortez

FNG

54ny77 is offline VSalonistas

that is really cool.

i wish him/them well.

zetroc is offline VSalonistas

Here's the article (from WIRED) - it includes a few photos of Russ's shop.

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/0...4&viewall=true
    steve cortez

FNG

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

I've owned a Russ Denny bike. The man does good work.

I wish him all the best!

M

Proparc is offline VSalonistas

Dave Moulton is from "my era" when I was ripping it up back in the day on my steel Gios in San Diego. Fuso's were the cream of the crop. Were talking better then the Rossins, Colnagos, Pinarello's,Eddy Merckx's etc. In terms of quality, it pretty much took a Gios to hang with it. I met Dave back then a couple of times-very humble man.

rowdyhillrambler is offline VSalonistas

A team i used to ride for was given FUSOs to race.. They road and raced great. At that point in my life, when you were done racing a bike, you sold it to fund future adventures. I regret it.. I wish i still had it. A friend called me last year and said that he had seen my old bike in a second hand/hipster/fixie bike shop. I drove about 120 miles to get there, only to find out that it belonged to another guy on the team. I rescued it anyway, found him and then gave it to him. He was no longer riding. I scrounged up enough parts to piece it back together. I saw him about 6 months after that, he was riding. He said that it gave him the desire to ride again, and he was hammering... I still miss mine..

Peter Polack is offline VSalonistas

I too, look forward to seeing the resurrection of the Fuso. I can still remember Dave Moulton's articles in VeloNews. I wonder if Russ Denny's incarnation will retain the unconventional geometry of the Fuso line as Dave Moulton built them. The seat angles were considerably steeper than average and the fork rakes much shorter. Here's a geometry chart for those interested: Fuso Geometry Chart

I'd be interested in how they handle. I wouldn't care if the new version eschewed lugs for TIG welded joints, as long as they preserved some of the beautiful color combinations I've seen.

R.Liverman is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    A team i used to ride for was given FUSOs to race.. They road and raced great. At that point in my life, when you were done racing a bike, you sold it to fund future adventures. I regret it.. I wish i still had it. A friend called me last year and said that he had seen my old bike in a second hand/hipster/fixie bike shop. I drove about 120 miles to get there, only to find out that it belonged to another guy on the team. I rescued it anyway, found him and then gave it to him. He was no longer riding. I scrounged up enough parts to piece it back together. I saw him about 6 months after that, he was riding. He said that it gave him the desire to ride again, and he was hammering... I still miss mine..

Post of the month.
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

eippo1 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by R.Liverman View Post
    Post of the month.
    Agreed, I love to read stuff like that.
    Beer, it's part of a good breakfast.

alexstar is offline VSalonistas

Oh, looky, prototypes! I'm afraid I might start frothing at the mouth for one of these.
    Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - The Re-birth ofFuso

3 bikes.JPG

terry is offline VSalonistas

this is cool. always liked moulton's work so i bought a denny for wicked cheap $-easton aluminum-for a rain bike. turns out to be outstanding and i liked it too much to ride it exclusively in rain & snow melt. i wish russ well.

GonaSovereign is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    These are the posts that keep me coming back. Hope you find your bike.