Thread: Reach, Hoods and Bars. Eureka!

classtimesailer is offline VSalonistas

Default Reach, Hoods and Bars. Eureka!

Now I get this handlebar reach thing. I couldn't figure out why I always felt a little stretched out at the beginning of a ride on my red bike. Once I'm in the drops, all is well. My old 3T bars, my new 3T bars, WCS Classics, and Nitto 185 are all within a couple mm in reach and drop.
    hoods2.jpgThat is a 1981-82 TTT on the right.
    I'll probably order some Nitto 104 which have a 65mm reach vs. the 80mm reach of the 185. Anyone know if the drops will be in the same place? Do you think that the bar ends move back the 15mm or do they adjust the bend to put the bar ends in the same place? The drop is the same 140.
    Jeff
    Last edited by classtimesailer; 11-21-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clarity

962 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Reach, Hoods and Bars. Eureka!

Is that 5700/6700/7900 Shimano vs Campagnolo 10-speed? Shimano lever bodies always seem long to me...

(Oh, good we're talking about that kind of reach, not the Cervelo kind! heh...)

Also, check the angle of the handlebars.

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

Yep, never really understood the point of the saddle tip to bar measurement everyone is always citing.

I measure from saddle tip to the mid-point of each hood. In addition to providing actual reach, it allows me to verify that my hoods are level.

7900 vs. Shimano aero brake levers. Drops are level. Lever tips are level with the drops.

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Yep, never really understood the point of the saddle tip to bar measurement everyone is always citing.

I measure from saddle tip to the mid-point of each hood. In addition to providing actual reach, it allows me to verify that my hoods are level.
    To compound the problem, my saddles are as different as my hoods. Fizik Aliante vs. a Brooks Professional.

pajotfix is offline VSalonistas

My Colnago Master came with era correct 7400 STIs. When I upgraded to more recent 10-sp shifters I was too stretched out causing all sorts of discomfort. I ended up with a new stem and bars and now it's a perfect fit. But anything new I'm getting is counting with the shifters and their geometry. Are Campagnolo's shorter than Shimano, than ?

fixednwinter is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post

Exactly. This is the critical measurement, in this age of the riding primarily in the hoods. I do still measure the saddle-to-bar as a reference point, because that's what most frame builders ask for when discussing measurements. But I always take into account the remaining distance from the bar clamp to the hoods, for my own info, so that I know what the total distance will be.

This is made easier by using the same bar (Rotundo). I do have some minor reach variation whether I'm on the current Campag hoods versus the 2008 version.

My only bar & lever set-up that's completely different is an older bike with Cinelli 65 Criterium and the old Campag '97 aero brake levers. The reach of the bar and shape of the hoods are completely different from Rotundo/recent Campag hoods. All other things being equal, the very short forward throw of the old school hoods require a longer stem in order to get it similar to the other bikes. So for sure, knowing the saddle to hood reach is important, to at least get it close to the other set-ups.

sk_tle is online now VSalonistas

solution : riding in the drops. There is a reason we use drop bars and not bull horns.

holliscx is offline VSalonistas

I've always thought Shimano hoods ran long compared to Campagnolo but looking at the picture it's not that much of a difference even though those are the old style Campy hoods (right) but I'm guessing the difference is a 1 cm longer reach w/ Shimano - has anyone measured this?

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I've always thought Shimano hoods ran long compared to Campagnolo but looking at the picture it's not that much of a difference even though those are the old style Campy hoods (right) but I'm guessing the difference is a 1 cm longer reach w/ Shimano - has anyone measured this?
    Not sure, but Shimano 7900 are a centimeter longer than 7800.