Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Professional Cameras for the Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Professional Cameras for the Bike

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A photojournalist friend said that if you could think down and left (or left and down - can't remember - basically the way a book or magazine is read in Japanese, back to front instead of front to back) menus on cameras make more sense.

I don't know whether that's true, but menu systems may be where Japanese and Amer-Euro cultures bang into each other. Otherwise it is just point and shoot.
    Yea, but it is more than that. Why does a nice little piece of HW like the Pen F need all the different "creative" modes and all the other goop? It is styled after a manual camera for cripes sake. If they want to imitate the look, why can't they imitate the simplicity to? A simple clear camera with a great sensor, sharp glass and good controls doesn't seem to be enough...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Yea, but it is more than that. Why does a nice little piece of HW like the Pen F need all the different "creative" modes and all the other goop? It is styled after a manual camera for cripes sake. If they want to imitate the look, why can't they imitate the simplicity to? A simple clear camera with a great sensor, sharp glass and good controls doesn't seem to be enough...
    Those are super popular in Japan. You are but one demographic Olympus markets the Pen cameras to.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

For the Pen e-pl 1 through 9 models targeted as iphone camera replacements/ style accessories I can understand that. But having one camera out of that wide array of models without the drek is all I ask...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

First of all: congrats Houston!

I bought an Olympus OMD EM5 mk2 and sold it. I never got used to the menus and there were features I liked a lot (say Live Composite) that didn't work when I needed them. Maybe I was used to Nikons and wasn't able to make the leap to a smaller and more comfortable to carry system.
    On the other hand, nice quality, compact size, sealed body and lenses... Now I'm only using the iPhone camera and some time on Lightroom.
    luis prado alonso
    Rodar Ourense

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish someone would explain the whole UI thing to so many of the camera makers. I spent years with Canon and just have to say their UI was nearly perfect. But a 5DmkII and nearly all of their sharp lenses are just way too big. I never warmed to the G9 I had and when it was stolen in Belize, I took the insurance money and moved on.

But the UI on the Panasonic and I hate to say Olympus (I'm looking at you Pen F) are just so disjointed and hard to use in the field. To hear Sony suffers from the same woes is sad indeed.

A digital M3 for less than to cost of a good used car would be fine thanks! 2 independent control dials for aperture and shutter speed. Simple aperture or shutter preferred automation, ISO, color temperature. A simple compensation method. A simple choice of focus points and/or focus lock. A choice of meter patterns if you want to get fancy. Full frame sensor would be sublime but m4/3 would be fine.

Why is this so hard?
    gotta say I agree with this and the post above to same effect. like my lumix 4/3 alot but so annoyed with menus that I either use a program mode and even saved a custom 1 or 2, but angry when I want to make a simple change on the fly. full manual is ok when you have the time but not for speedy click

not so off topic, but aside from iphone, what camera phones are you guys digging?

Post Thanks / Like

If you like canon menus, get the new mirrorless canon m5 with the 22mm lens. Great little but powerful package.

If you're indifferent about canon menus, then the recently released fuji x-t20 is a great small package as well.

Go hold them in the store, or better yet as some have suggested, rent them out to try. I couldn't get used to the physical or sw ergonomics of the Oly emd5 mkii either...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    If you like canon menus, get the new mirrorless canon m5 with the 22mm lens. Great little but powerful package.

If you're indifferent about canon menus, then the recently released fuji x-t20 is a great small package as well.

Go hold them in the store, or better yet as some have suggested, rent them out to try. I couldn't get used to the physical or sw ergonomics of the Oly emd5 mkii either...
    Interesting. I hadn't seen the m5. But it looks like it is missing the right hand thumb wheel of the EOS cameras so that really looses a lot of the ease and speed of use I liked from them...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I hadn't seen the m5. But it looks like it is missing the right hand thumb wheel of the EOS cameras so that really looses a lot of the ease and speed of use I liked from them...
    No, it's there -- it's just really small. The bumpy ridge outside the buttons on the back rotates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    No, it's there -- it's just really small. The bumpy ridge outside the buttons on the back rotates.
    Your point about trying it out in hand validated! I'll do that. Thanks!
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

There is also an M6 body that uses the same lens system. It does not have a built in finder. Instead it uses a hot-shoe connected external finder.

The Canon EOS M must have had some parts of the Canon aristocracy who were not totally convinced they needed it. So the first iteration came out and sat on the shelves for a long time before any development occurred. In the last year though, they've been convinced, and the line has gotten more lenses and better bodies. They are still just good cameras. They aren't (as far as I've heard and read) amazing. If Canon ever devoted its full energy to the line, then the camera might be great but Canon is a giant amoeba of a company and it has an internal calendar for product development that sometimes seems like it forgets that it even makes cameras at all - even their pro SLR's & lenses. They took forever to rejigger their 24mm L lens. But when they did, the new one is evidently stellar. So maybe they get most things right, but I know pros who get a little tired sometimes waiting for things to happen.

But back to the OP, none of these alternative suggestions for cameras are going to make Houston's photos any better, and in terms of form factor, it sounds to me like the way he works almost demands something like the Sony RX100 camera with its combination of high quality sensor and retractable lens. Once he goes to a protruding non-retractable lens, the portability aspect shifts to an alternative form (like a strap worn bandoleer-style) and juggling lens protection (okay, maybe install a protective filter but then a hood to cut glare?) Seems like Houston figured out a good match to begin with, and if there isn't a lot of pressure otherwise, might be the wisest choice to stick with it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Two contrasting quotes on cameras from famous photographers (courtesy of Tokyo Camera Style.)

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras. Changing cameras means that your photographs will change. A really good camera has something I suppose you might describe as its own distinctive aura.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

I don’t think about what camera I should use that much. I just pick up the one that looks nicest on the day.

-- William Eggleston
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    The best little cameras were always Leicas and Olympus.
    Congratulations: there are a million photographers looking to be published and very, very few publishers looking for a photographer.
    all are published today, the www is the biggest tool, all over pictures nobody sees ;()))
    nada ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    So, I am very honored. For Christmas my wife created a book of my bike riding pictures and sent it to some of our family members. Turns out one of the books fell into the hands of someone in publishing who wants to make a real book. However, my camera is not pro ready. I need a professional camera which has excellent resolution, I don't know the tech terms. Basically, I need a

small camera which fits into a bike bag
    that is point and shoot
    shoots in raw
    does not distort around the edges
    and is coffee table book resolution good.

Would the Sony RX1R II work?
    so thats a camera what is around mAX 300gr, not much more. real 24mm for landscapes. unless you want to carry some kind of bag on the bike.
    in that case I would go for the expensive full frame Sony Alpha (mentioned here already) + a 24mm fixed lens. or the new Fuji XT2 with the Fuji 16mm, also top quality.

if you want a heavy BRICK, get a Leica M body.
    nada ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Houston....I totally agree with your publisher that the quality of your photos would improve significantly if you purchased a new camera. Send your old Sony to me as soon as your Leica arrives and I will cover postage. RW
    i do not agree (sorry;), cameras are tools, the one who uses the tool creates the image, not the camera. there are many VERY talented great people out there using iPhones and printing big, having exhibitions and selling well! its the photographic language, the story we tell ....
    also bike on curved roads in landscape gives not much a story...;)
    nada ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    i do not agree (sorry;), cameras are tools, the one who uses the tool creates the image, not the camera. there are many VERY talented great people out there using iPhones and printing big, having exhibitions and selling well! its the photographic language, the story we tell ....
    Inability to Recognize Sarcasm Could Signal Frontotemporal Dementia. Frontotemporal dementia is an umbrella term for a group of disorders that primarily affect the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain. These areas are generally associated with personality, behavior and language.Aug 7, 2013 winky smile
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    Hey Stefan...you pro photographers need to quit sticking up for Houston when we are all busting his chops...;)
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Hey Stefan...you pro photographers need to quit sticking up for Houston when we are all busting his chops...;)
    iam not a pro photographer, neither i think my pictures are special. i wrote what i think... right now everybody is coping everybody in cycling photography: a nice curved mountain road with a cyclist or a bike in the picture, sometimes with fog, other times in sunset, also many #butforever stuff ;) and filters what make pictures looks like they have been processed 20 x in several photoapps, too much saturation, too much HDR, too much unsharp mask, artificial stuff, not natural looking anymore. thats of course fine...
    not many come home with portraits of people they met on the road, places they saw beside the road...
    i apologise, thats my personal opinion.
    nada ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not so off topic, but aside from iphone, what camera phones are you guys digging?
    I really like the camera in the Nexus 6P.
    Guy Washburn