Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: oh shit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    1,481
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    City of Big Shoulders
    Posts
    6,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    drools
    "make the break"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    If I remember correctly, Spooky owner had mentioned Zanconato was on the list of attendees for their latest aluminum frame building class. Good to see more folks getting interested in the material.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Add another Zanconato bike to the list of want.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Clemson SC
    Posts
    1,972
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    10,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    If he's making aluminum frames when my name comes up in the list, that's probably what I'll get. I love oversize steel but I've been there, done that. So maybe I'll have to forego the coupled travel bike.... We'll see.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    God dammit! Will you people stop. I can only afford one new frame when the time comes.
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    On a rock in the middle of the ocean
    Posts
    6,831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    I just got a heat treated 7005 boner.

    You are a dirty boy. Heat treating 7005. Naughty.
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    2,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    You are a dirty boy. Heat treating 7005. Naughty.
    Well, it does get an artificial aging cycle in the oven unless you want to wait for it to do it on it's own.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    worlds biggest island
    Posts
    1,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Aluminium is such a nice material to work with, easy on tools, easy to weld and with the right tubing makes a great product. Zank obviously has some great hand skills with a sharp learning curve ability with whatever he touches. We're never too old to learn new skillsets. Nice.
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sutton, MA USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone. I didn't get to go to the seminar that Frank put on at Vicious Cycles, but I've been working with some local welding wizards. The goal is to replicate this top bead on an entire 12"x12" sheet. The old time welders say you have to burn through 10# of filler rod before you get the rhythm down. That's about 5400 inches worth of filler.


    Al practice by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    welded aluminum forks! That will be awesome!
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    7,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone. I didn't get to go to the seminar that Frank put on at Vicious Cycles, but I've been working with some local welding wizards. The goal is to replicate this top bead on an entire 12"x12" sheet. The old time welders say you have to burn through 10# of filler rod before you get the rhythm down. That's about 5400 inches worth of filler.
    I am, once again, so very very impressed with Zank. That is visual evidence of a commitment to excellence.
    GO!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    8,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Mike, what is the eta for the first alu frames ?
     

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Very smooth...
     

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sutton, MA USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Mike, what is the eta for the first alu frames ?
    That's a good question, Lionel. There are a lot of details that need to be worked out. I have a heat-treat shop about 4 miles from my shop and they have been very helpful so far. The goal is to have a 7005 cross bike ready for next season. You guys will be the first to see how things are progressing.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    8,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    That's a good question, Lionel. There are a lot of details that need to be worked out. I have a heat-treat shop about 4 miles from my shop and they have been very helpful so far. The goal is to have a 7005 cross bike ready for next season. You guys will be the first to see how things are progressing.
    You should get into politics ;-)
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Plan0 TX
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Agreed. I read it, I bought into it. I didn't learn anything.
     

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    7,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    You should get into politics ;-)
    Perhaps you don't understand? Mike Zanconato runs a one-man shop. He is simultaneously building frames to earn a living and teaching himself a new set of skills. Knowing Mike, it's clear he won't make aluminum frames available to his customers until he's satisfied he's able to build one that's up to his standards. And he's said his goal is to be there by next 'cross season.

    Or perhaps you do understand? Maybe you should go post a dig about when the VS Wabi Woolen jerseys are going to be available, and how they're designed. Never mind - I see you already did.
    GO!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    8,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: oh shit

    Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Perhaps you don't understand? Mike Zanconato runs a one-man shop. He is simultaneously building frames to earn a living and teaching himself a new set of skills. Knowing Mike, it's clear he won't make aluminum frames available to his customers until he's satisfied he's able to build one that's up to his standards. And he's said his goal is to be there by next 'cross season.

    Or perhaps you do understand? Maybe you should go post a dig about when the VS Wabi Woolen jerseys are going to be available, and how they're designed. Never mind - I see you already did.
    I perfectly understand. I ride a Zank. You have to chill.
     

Similar Threads

  1. bike shit fit
    By WFSTEKL in forum VELOCIPEDIA
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM
  2. funny shit
    By mainemike in forum The OT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
  3. Piss Shit and Vinegar.
    By false_aesthetic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •