Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving and bikes

bigbill is offline VSalonistas

Default Moving and bikes

I retire from the military in late September. The only thing I know for certain is that we don't want to stay in the soggy PNW so we're selling the house. I have already disassembled all but two bikes and now want to pack the frames so the movers won't destroy them. The frames to be packed are: Peg BLE, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Crosshairs, Merckx SLX track, and a Mercian KOM. None of these frames are what I consider to be fragile, but I can pack them in frame boxes but that won't mean anything when they get put under the washing machine in the moving van. Any tips on moving frames? Any tips on wheelsets?

The Argonaut will travel in my hard case and the GT will stay with me when I move the family a few months before my retirement.
    I heart brown bikes.

Fourflys is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Moving and bikes

great question! I'm transferring this summer and was wondering the same thing...
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

gearguywb is offline VSalonistas

I moved my bikes myself. Use an enclosed trailer and hang them. Kind of a PITA but they will ge there without damage.

Tyler Evans is offline VSalonistas

If you are really worried about damage ship them separately from your moving company. We ship bikes everyday (thousands and thousands over the years) and I must say, I have never shipped a bicycle via a moving company.... it's been fedex, ups, dhl, usps... pack them up nice and all should be good. I would put them in my car and drive them to my new house or bring them on the plane with me before I put them in a moving van packed by some yahoos. For the wheels (if packed separately) put them in some wheel boxes, most likely available (in the cardboard recycling) from your local LBS.

FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL: Look to spend $200-$300 per complete bike depending on distance/insurance/method, that's a lot of money though and might reserve that for my most precious bikes. I think there is less of a chance of damage if shipped via air vs. ground, only because the bikes are in their hands for less time.

I wish you luck.

PJC
    PJC is offline VSalonistas

If you care about it, move it yourself...don't trust movers. We have moved several times in the last 15 years and the stuff we care about goes in my trailer....not the mover's trailer.

Der_kruscher is offline VSalonistas

I moved from SF back to Seattle about a year ago with four bikes - two of which I cared about. I packed all of the bikes into bike boxes and the wheels for the nice bikes into their own wheel boxes. I was overcareful with the packing. I spoke to my contact at the movers about the bikes and talked to the actual movers about them as well. Essentially, "If you f_ck anything up, please make sure it's not these and do not stack anything heavy on top of them." I wasn't a dick - I just told them that the bikes were expensive and meant a lot to me. The movers did lose some stuff and some stuff didn't make it through at 100% but the bikes were fine and handled with proper care. FWIW, the moving co. handled the losses and damages with professionalism and no jerking us around. Good luck with the move and enjoy the weather, wherever it is you end up!

parlee_z1 is offline VSalonistas

Aircaddy boxes and in the moving truck several times no issues...or if you do not trust them...shipbikes.com

joosttx is offline VSalonistas

I had my bikes crated by the moving company that worked perfectly.
    The Joy of Riding a Bike
    my name is Houston

TMB
    TMB is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I had my bikes crated by the moving company that worked perfectly.
    If the moving company doesn't pack them,they get marked as PBO (packed by owner) and you will be SOL on insurance coverage if anything happens to them.

joosttx is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    If the moving company doesn't pack them,they get marked as PBO (packed by owner) and you will be SOL on insurance coverage if anything happens to them.
    You are right, that is why you have the moving company to crate them just like your fine art and big mirrors.
    The Joy of Riding a Bike
    my name is Houston

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Exactly on the PBO. No coverage at all.

If the movers pack them, photograph the heck out of them beforehand and get someone to take photos of you with the bikes. That was a hint from a friendly insurance agent and it has come in handy since. Then let the movers do their worst. If they are good movers, then they won't damage them and if they do, they'll pay for the damage. If they are bad movers, you should get good movers.

Der_kruscher is offline VSalonistas

In my case my bikes were insured by the mover despite the fact that I packed them. I explained to the rep/estimator about packing the bikes and it was agreed that they had no expertise in boxing bikes so I packed the bikes and left the boxes unsealed so that the movers could inspect and approve my packing job. Once they approved the bikes they assumed responsibility for them in the move and I had paperwork to show this. I'm sure that moving companies will differ in their policies so it's definitely worth asking about when you're shopping for a mover if you think that there's a chance you'll let them move your bikes too.

bigbill is offline VSalonistas

I'm thinking of wrapping them in bubble wrap then let the movers put them in boxes. Typically homeowners covers anything the movers don't. I don't think the movers could wreck those frames, but they could be hard on the paint. The BLE needs paint anyway. Moving them myself isn't an option, at some point while I'm off someone's coast launching airplanes off the bow and waist, the house will sell and the movers will come. I don't even know where I'm getting a job, I just want it to be warm and arid.
    I heart brown bikes.

Jacques is offline VSalonistas

Got a rack on your car?

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Big boy how did the move go and where are you landing?

WayneJ is offline VSalonistas

My in-laws moved last year from CT to AZ. They used one of those POD services. You pack it yourself and they do the dropoff, transport and delivery. The machinery used to lift, move and deliver those pods is well engineered and never puts the pod at an angle or exposes it to big jolts. NOTHING was damaged in the move. I was impressed.

Fourflys is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm thinking of wrapping them in bubble wrap then let the movers put them in boxes. Typically homeowners covers anything the movers don't. I don't think the movers could wreck those frames, but they could be hard on the paint. The BLE needs paint anyway. Moving them myself isn't an option, at some point while I'm off someone's coast launching airplanes off the bow and waist, the house will sell and the movers will come. I don't even know where I'm getting a job, I just want it to be warm and arid.
    I was thinking the same thing... or at least get them all packed up and leave the boxes open as someone else said so they could inspect them... at least we have no cost full replacement value insurance now...

BTW- to those who don't know, you have no choice in packers/shippers when the military moves you... you takes what they give you...
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

wadesonjack is offline VSalonistas

In this situation, you need to hire a good moving company who can transfer your all frames safely at other place. You don't need to pack it but moving company will handle all responsibility to transfer your goods without any defect.

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

I just went through this. Maybe because my movers were colorado based, they actually asked me if I had "racing bikes" and how much they were worth. I packed them in boxes and told them which boxes were bikes. Everything came through fine. And that included being moved out of a moving track and in to a smaller "shuttle" truck to get up to my mountain compound.

-Joe

PS If you are moving to Colorado, contact "American Moving" the are awesome. Home | Boulder Movers, Denver Moving Company, Vail Storage, American Moving

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

what size are yr bikes? might be best to ship them here....i will take care of them for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast