Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mavic Clothing

HorsCat is offline VSalonistas

Default Mavic Clothing

An overcooked right hander this past Sunday saw me spending 20 or so yards sliding across cold, hard tar. Bike's dinged up but fixable; body's scraped and dinged but not broken, fortunately. The Rapha Softshell, Giordana bib tights and Giordana base layer are all, however, ruined.

Am thinking of giving Mavic jackets (Inferno, Equipe, Echapee or Cyclone) and tights (Inferno, Cyclone or Equipe) a whirl.

Your real-world experience with any of these products is much appreciated. They get some good reviews over on the European interwebs.

funcrusher is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Mavic Clothing

i finally broke my rapha addiction with gore...give it a whirl...great stuff and "reasonably" priced

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

the mavic stuff looks really nice to me...
    really nice cut, etc
    that said i have enough team and assorted clothing to last me into the next century so the only thing i may try is a pr of knickers cause i only have about 10 pr and maybe someday there will be a worldwide shortage.

velobran is online now VSalonistas

I purchased a Mavic softshell vest this fall and have worn it maybe 8 times. Really impressed with the fit and fabric for only spending $60 (it was on sale at CC). I'll buy more Mavic clothing in the future and it matches my Carbones Pros. Win/Win.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

roseyscot is offline VSalonistas

i've owned mavic bibs (briefly) and hated them (yes, i returned them). from friends who are well connected with mavic and have mountains of their clothing, the "satisfaction" varies widely from piece to piece. in other words, some jackets were universally disliked, while other jackets were universally liked. the takeaway - inconsistency by mavic from piece to piece.

HorsCat is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    i finally broke my rapha addiction with gore...give it a whirl...great stuff and "reasonably" priced
    I've been considering Gore but am concerned it'll be too loose. I'm sorta skinny and like the tailored fit of Rapha and Assos (and which is what Mavic is alleging for their products).

theflashunc is offline VSalonistas

FWIW, when I hit the deck this past Spring, Rapha was very generous in replacing my ruined knickers and baselayer. So you might want to call the folks in Portland and see what they can help you with on repairs/replacement.

But if you're using the crash as an excuse to get new, different stuff, I'll echo roseyscot's sentiments. The stuff I've seen come through my local shop is very hit or miss. Folks seem to either love it, or hate it with a fiery passion.

Rosko is offline VSalonistas

I was going to comment on the jacket but on reflection I see I have the whole inferno kit... The jacket is my go to cold weather jacket, I find it too hot to wear in any weather above mid 30's and totally comfortable alone down to the teens. The balaclava fits well under a helmet. Add a a base layer and the waterproof jacket (I have an older version of the stratos) and you are good for any condition. The inferno bibs are comfortable but the warmth is average- nothing like an amfib for the cold/wet. I had considered getting some Showers Pass overpants for this winter. The glove is by far my favorite winter commuting glove though it is delicate- I would not expect it to fare well in a crash but it keeps the digits warm somehow in conditions when lobsters and mitts never seemed to work. All said I wear the jacket five days a week for my commute all winter (once the weather dips below 36*) going on 3 years and it is holding up.
    Seth Rosko
    Rosko Cycles
    New York City
    www.rosko.cc

houston is offline VSalonistas

With a crash like that, you might want to submit an insurance claim. You would hit your deductible! I have had very good luck with all things Mavic. I have no experience with the jackets but the bibs/tights. warmers and shoes have treated me very well. They fit true to size and can be had on the cheap right about now. The jerseys are all cut very well and the gear holds up really well.

Gore is another story. I have had to return bibs because they were see-through on their maiden voyage. They also seem to fit a little looser than I like. Good for when I am a fatty-fat-fatso in the spring. So, when you get chubby and you want everybody to see your ass crack, Gore will fit the bill nicely

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I've been considering Gore but am concerned it'll be too loose. I'm sorta skinny and like the tailored fit of Rapha and Assos (and which is what Mavic is alleging for their products).
    Gore has 3 different fits. Check their icons before ordering. Stuff like the Oxygen is slim cut while some of the others aren't.

edited to add: I'm trying to find screaming deals on the 'Vision' series of clothes. More brighter = more better.

HTH

M

JitteryJoe is offline VSalonistas

You will not have to worry about Gore being too loose. Much of their clothing tops seem to adopt a pretty severe race cut, in fact. Check out their size charts; sizing is on the small side, and if you read some of the online retail site descriptions (I can't remember which right now), they often stress this point. Case in point: my most recent Gore product is their LS windproof base layer top, and it is a really nice piece, but the arms are pretty snug. I imagine part of that is by design, because after all you don't want your base layer bunching up under your jersey. But if this was a few years back when I was in the weightroom more than I am now, I'm not sure I could wear the thing.

rapha has tailored fit? hmm...

i had a softshell and it was flapping in the wind around my midsection...no such issues with my gore stuff

sine is offline VSalonistas

My wife and I purchased Mavic Equipe jackets last winter. I like it.

Quality is excellent and the fit is quite good-I'm more thin than pudgy. Nice pockets and quality zippers for vents.

I gave up on Assos 10 years ago as I found sewing quality to be horrid and the fact that they stopped using bull skin for chamois.

I'm curious about the rest of Mavic's clothing line (bibs) but hate to experiment. Sugoi bibs are working for me and plan on purchasing a knicker (still refuse to wear tights-if it's in the 20's I'll bust gut and see the devil indoors) soon.

rapha has tailored fit? hmm...

i had a softshell and it was flapping in the wind around my midsection...no such issues with my gore stuff
    Most of Rapha's stuff is tailored provided you choose the right size - if you match their body type.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

CycloSean is offline VSalonistas

+1 on the Gore stuff.
    The only gripe I have is that their zipper(s) suck.
    I also find that their other small details tend to wear well, ie; elastic gators and taped seams.

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Most of Rapha's stuff is tailored provided you choose the right size - if you match their body type.
    i guess i'm glad i don't fit their body type then...i still love the stuff

i guess i'm glad i don't fit their body type then...i still love the stuff
    I'm personally think their body type is somewhat of a straight silhouette if that makes sense. If I hit the weights a little too hard, the top area fits and the lower is loose and I'd be too bulky to size down. Since being off the weights for nearly a year, I can size down for a full on race fit.

That's probably why "plus size" men also think their stuff fits them because they like a baggier top w/ it fitted around the belly.

Anyway - I'm a medium in the Mavic soft shell vest it's a dead on great fit.
    Auk's words to live by:

i gotcha...i have a 42in chest and 32in waist...not very straight

the stretch in the gore stuff works for me

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I'm personally think their body type is somewhat of a straight silhouette if that makes sense. If I hit the weights a little too hard, the top area fits and the lower is loose and I'd be too bulky to size down. Since being off the weights for nearly a year, I can size down for a full on race fit.

That's probably why "plus size" men also think their stuff fits them because they like a baggier top w/ it fitted around the belly.

Anyway - I'm a medium in the Mavic soft shell vest it's a dead on great fit.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

I slid my bike last year wearing my Assos Winter+ LL tights. I didn't mind the bruise and scrape on the knee, but the hole in my tights sure bummed me out... (admit it, many of you have identical experiences)

I have the Mavic Inferno Jacket. I works great and is nice change relative to Gore, Castelli and Assos. I've been on group rides that look like an Assos parade. Never been to a mavic parade.

I'm also big fan of the yellow mavic huez shoes. Their winter frost shoes also represents good value if it fits your foot type.

i gotcha...i have a 42in chest and 32in waist...not very straight

the stretch in the gore stuff works for me
    Yeah, I'm more like 36" and 32" so a small works for me. Medium in jackets (like in Mavic).
    Auk's words to live by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast