Thread: A Lost Year Almost

Mud
    Mud is offline VSalonistas

Default A Lost Year Almost

Been struggling all year with skin issues in the saddle area that were set off by new found allergies to common meds. Funny how you cannot be allergic for your whole life and then a bomb drops. Have always had a touch of psoriasis but this has been bad in a bad area. Even immune suppressants have had little effect. The Drs are still working on it so maybe there is hope, but 40 rides since the end of January and none for the last 9 weeks and $20k worth of bikes for each of us stay idle.

So what do you do if you can't cycle. I bought a Trikke P12 and learned how to make it go. I realize it is not for some parts of the country but Surf City is perfect for it. Lots of exercise, can go up moderate hills if there is no traffic and can move along on level ground better than 12mph. And I am getting faster. Never going to happen on the PCH but there are 1000 miles of paths that will work. It was not a hop on and go thing. It took me 7 weeks to figure it all out but now it is really fun.

I know that others on the forum have gone through experiences where they have had to stay off the bike for long periods (prostate issues eg). There are alternatives and this is one. Don't feel bad for me, shit happens and I may have to move on from cycling, but this thing is fun and thought I would pass it
    along.

Bruce
    Livin The Dream in Surf City USA

Mr.President is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: A Lost Year Almost

Sorry to hear you are having to go through this. My wife has become allergic to something at 31 and we are trying to figure it out.

I too have psoriasis and I had a doctor tell me to go tanning. It caused it to go away and I tend to only get it in the winter whe the sun goes bye bye. Odd as bad as tanning is for you, it dramatically helps with that shit. Worked with a girl who had it bad...real bad and tanning was her biggest method to ease it.

Matthew Strongin is offline sheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheverssheversshevers

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Been struggling all year with skin issues in the saddle area that were set off by new found allergies to common meds. Funny how you cannot be allergic for your whole life and then a bomb drops. Have always had a touch of psoriasis but this has been bad in a bad area. Even immune suppressants have had little effect. The Drs are still working on it so maybe there is hope, but 40 rides since the end of January and none for the last 9 weeks and $20k worth of bikes for each of us stay idle.
    Sorry to hear about this, Bruce. Without getting too graphic or personal, last year I had an "outbreak" of some sort in the same area. The doctor couldn't figure it out (and asked me and my wife enough personal questions to scare the crap out of her). I was riding through it, but miserable, and set up my own sort of experiment to narrow down what I was having a reaction to. Tried a new chamois cream and everything cleared up quickly. I guess I had developed an allergy to an ingredient in the stuff I had been using for years, but it came on so quickly I assumed it was something else. I haven't had any problems since the switch except for one day where I ran out of the new stuff and used the old stuff. By the end of the ride it was a full outbreak. That confirmed it for me. Your issue may have nothing to do with this, but in any event, I can relate and I hope you and the Docs get to the bottom of it.

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

My wife has been struggling with a series of increasingly diverse and severe series of allergies as well. Usual suspects like goose down and trees progressed to yeast and latex. But the most important thing to discover was corticosteroids. So the very thing prescribed to treat these other allergies made her sicker, and they'd apply more the worse she got. One episode had her in isolation and screened for TB.

But there are still docs who don't believe the steroid allergy, and there's only one place in Boston we found that was able and willing to run through the test protocol to pinpoint the allergies (because it would trigger the anaphylactic reaction).

So I hope you are not treating it with something that makes it worse, or causes it in the first place.

Human Epic Jolt is offline One of a kind Vsalonista

none of this sounds like fun.
    Sometimes it's not a good idea to ignore things.

Keep at it.

Mud
    Mud is offline VSalonistas

I don't think the sun's rays will hit where it hurts. Appreciate the thoughts. The latex reaction happens to me but it produces eczema so the biopsy says. Just a PITA, but at 70 I can't look back or mope. Just not enough time.
    Livin The Dream in Surf City USA

Mabouya is offline VSalonistas

Bruce,

The saddles we typically use put lots of pressure on a small area, so I can see how that would be a problem for you. How about activities that still involve sitting, but where the pressure is on a somewhat larger area? For that I'm thinking a recumbent bike or rowing.

Best of luck.

Zen Cyclery is offline VSalonistas

Damn this sounds like a PITA. Sorry that this has been affecting you so significantly OP. Hopefully this all works out for ya.
    Visit http://www.zencyclery.com for custom, handbuilt wheels.

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

PJC
    PJC is offline VSalonistas

I found out I had an allergy to chamois cream...'twas ugly and unpleasant. No more chamois cream for me period, end of story.

jbl
    jbl is offline VSalonistas

Allergies have a funny way of coming on... My doc says they tend to come on stronger and more often as we get older.

My crazy allergy? Cold weather. I break out in hives all over if I'm cold for a long period of time. It's apparently a histamine reaction that some people get. Now I pop a Claritin 20min before a fall/winter ride. One more thing to do to get ready... maybe a good excuse to get some new winter clothes?

Good luck with everything. Hopefully the docs can have it sorted out in due course.

rabo is offline VSalonistas

We had a guy on the group ride who removed his seatpost and just rode the whole ride out of the saddle for weeks 2nd prostate issues.
    Joop Zoetemelk finished on of his record tour de france finishes riding dys standing up 2nd saddle sores.
    It can be done, doesn't mean it will be fun.