Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let 's talk about shoe covers

tedschwartz is offline VSalonistas

Default Let 's talk about shoe covers

So after 2 pairs of endura neoprene booties failing i'm looking at some other options. While living in the northwest this is an integral part of any riding ensemble and it seems like there are a ton of options. I just ordered some castelli NARCISISTA Castelli | An Unfair Advantage - Country selector shoe covers but i thought i'd ask the forum. What works for you?

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Let 's talk about shoe covers

Boots. Shoe covers suck.

echelon_john is offline VSalonistas

Lake winter shoes.

lala is offline VSalonistas

+1 on boots rather than shoe covers. Purchase them in July when, rather strangely, they are on discount.

Sidi hydro GTX in the fall or spring
    Northwave Fahrenheit GTX for the winter

... Oh and Defeet woolie boolie socks.

Toasty.

professerr is offline VSalonistas

Boots are not worth it for me in the SF Bay area and I dread having to set up a new pair of shoes for my bike. I'm very sensitive that way, you know.

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    Boots are not worth it for me in the SF Bay area and I dread having to set up a new pair of shoes for my bike. I'm very sensitive that way, you know.
    I had to plow the driveway twice last week. We're not all lucky like you.

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

They all suck, these are less than 1 month old. I emailed the company and they said "We probably can't fix them, they don't last long". Seriously? That is what you respond when I email your customer service...

-Joe

tedschwartz is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    like my bay area buddy i too dread setting up multiple pairs of shoes. Also winter shoes are a much larger investment than a 40 dollar pair of booties and I'm not sure the northwest gets cold enough to necessitate a full on winter shoe.

andys is offline VSalonistas

Sugoi Resistor

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

I have a pair of Shimano Pro neoprene shoe covers and they are great at low temps in the dry (recommended for -15 to +5 according to them), not so much in the wet. I know they offer a dedicated "h20" version for wet weather. I use old socks when temp is not low enough.

Tom
    Tom is offline VSalonistas

Twenty dollar Performance neoprene covers the ones with the rubber sole you cut out your cleat shape and zippers on the back. They last a couple of years because the biggest ones they have just fit over a pair of Sidi 45s and eventually the zipper says screw you. Works to about 20 degrees. When it is dry and above 30 a pair of those cheap DeFeet things that look like socks you're wearing on the wrong side of your shoes.

David Tollefson is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Twenty dollar Performance neoprene covers the ones with the rubber sole you cut out your cleat shape and zippers on the back. They last a couple of years because the biggest ones they have just fit over a pair of Sidi 45s and eventually the zipper says screw you. Works to about 20 degrees. When it is dry and above 30 a pair of those cheap DeFeet things that look like socks you're wearing on the wrong side of your shoes.
    My exact set-up for PacNW winter. If the weather is beyond what these can do, I retreat off-road or ride the trainer.

palincss is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Twenty dollar Performance neoprene covers the ones with the rubber sole you cut out your cleat shape and zippers on the back. They last a couple of years because the biggest ones they have just fit over a pair of Sidi 45s and eventually the zipper says screw you.
    In my case, the zipper tabs broke off. So when they did, I threaded something else through the remnant of the zipper tab: on one pair, a couple of those circular key rings, and on another pair zip ties. That first pair has been in constant use since I first bought it in 1991. I forget when I got the other pair, but it's been at leasts 10 years.

The one problem with those improvised zipper pulls is they won't lock, so the zipper tends to slide down and open as you ride. The other morning I set off in the fog and decided it would be a smart idea to use the reflective ankle bands I keep in the box, along with the reflective vest (I got this stuff for night riding on brevets) and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that with the ankle bands in place, the zipper doesn't ride down.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

winter shoes are leagues better that pos vinyl, neoprene shoe covers.
    do it once, get it right and move on

sk_tle is offline VSalonistas

Except there is a very limited choice of winter shoes. Having a deformed left foot (due to an injury 15y ago), very few bicycles shoes fit me well, which makes the choice even more scarce.

Plus there is a big difference between spending twice the money for another pair and spending 25$ in perfectly efficient shoe covers.

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

I don't really live anywhere where it gets cold enough long enough to justify winter-specific shoes, so I got with a couple weights of booties.

50s: Castelli Belgian booties (or the PI versions if I wanna wear black) or PBS toe booties. I got the PBS toe booties in the mid-90s and they're still going.
    40s: Pro Tarmac booties
    30s and below: Gore insulated booties

Now before y'all go and say 'for all that you coulda bought a pair of winter shoes.' I got em all on sale or as gifts.

For riding off-road, I'll go with Gore Tex socks (Cabela's ~$20) and maybe the toe booties. Wearing regular booties off-road is asking for destroyed booties. (see pic above) This setup isn't as warm as regular booties, but lots easier to live with when you're hike-a-biking in the snow.

M

Tom
    Tom is offline VSalonistas

Ya, just don't buy those POS Sidi shoes with the ankle openings clearly sized for someone with preeclampsia so all water that strikes the leg pours into the shoe and if it is dry you merely get frostbite. Bike shoes with an ankle opening four inches in diameter? What the hell is wrong with those people?

And if you do happen to have ankles four inches across, by any chance would a 47 fit you? I'll sell them to you cheap.

Shinomaster is offline VSalonistas

Just got some Endura covers for covering my new D2 mtb shoes. They have a velcro back which is a pita to put on, but shouldn't break like a zipper. THese are for commuting in the rain. My problem is that when it's really raining the water runs down my ankle into the shoe cover and my feet still get wet.

coolberto hipsterdor is offline VSalonistas

Shimano's winter boots have a section that velcros around your ankle so water doesn't get in FYI

David Tollefson is offline VSalonistas

I use some Performance tights that have a... Wind-tex? Tri-flex? whatever-they-call-it layer in the front and center rear that's water resistant. Just put the tights over the boots, and that should limit the water ingress to the shoes. But even so, I feel the function of the neoprene booties isn't necessarily to keep your feet from getting wet, but to keep your feet from getting cold when they DO get wet. You know, like a wetsuit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast