Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: iJ.bonKa.6

Lionel is offline VSalonistas

Default iJ.bonKa.6

I totally love my AirJack and find it hard to believe that this one can be a massive upgrade but I wonder anyway if anyone here used both and can shed some lights on the differences.

And I still think someone should be fired at Assos for all the new names. Can't remember any of them at all.....

The word "new" at ASSOS is never just an esthetic makeup. New to ASSOS always means new technology, new know-how, new improvements. iJ.bonKa.6 replaces the legendary airJack (latest version, over eight years in production). Compared to its predecessor, it features less volume, lighter weight, increased protection and more functionality.iJ.bonKa.6 is the brand new, ultimate ASSOS high performance WINTER climaRange.6 insulator jacket.

happycampyer is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: iJ.bonKa.6

The iJ.bonKa is excellent, and a worthy successor to the 851 airJack. When you turn the thing inside-out and see the construction, you understand why it's so expensive. The neck gaitor is nice, although I might detach it since it's a bit tricky to keep it from bunching on days you don't need it. I wouldn't call it a massive upgrade from the airJack, so if your airJack still has life in it (which it probably does since they're built so well), I wouldn't necessarily rush out to replace it. If that's the case, I would get the HaBu first, since it didn't have a counterpart in the previous line and is a great piece, or the tiburu, which replaced the elementOne (which I owned but never wore, but have already gotten use out of the tiburu).

false_aesthetic is offline VSalonistas

i really thought this was gonna be a spam thread.
    dgaddis and Nierman like this.

My AirJack has many many years left in it, I was just curious. In fact you can find AirJack on sale right now for relatively cheap hence my question on the Bonka.

I will check on the Habu but when it is not cold enough for the Airjack I typically go out with a LS jersey and an element zero vest.

nahtnoj is offline VSalonistas

I've trained my cats not to walk on the keyboard.

Happy - how do you use your Habu?

I have a Fugu and an Intermediate EVO. Also a Giordana jacket that is real close to the AirJack in function, so don't really feel a need for one, but the Habu intrigues me.

GrantM is offline VSalonista

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I will check on the Habu but when it is not cold enough for the Airjack I typically go out with a LS jersey and an element zero vest.
    I think the Tiburu is the better piece to own than the Habu. I have both, almost never wear my Habu,
    since it's actually a strange combination of fairly light weight material with stretch shell. The arms and back
    aren't warm enough to justify the shell covering. I'm either feeling the draft from it being too cold, or unzipping it.

The Tiburu is something I wear a lot, with the right base layer for the temp, it is very versatile, and when
    it gets too cold for it, (about 8 or 9 Celsius i wear a vest over it) then go to the Bonka, which works from
    below 8 degrees to about zero, maybe 2 degrees if you're taking it easy.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I think the Tiburu is the better piece to own than the Habu. I have both, almost never wear my Habu,
    since it's actually a strange combination of fairly light weight material with stretch shell. The arms and back
    aren't warm enough to justify the shell covering. I'm either feeling the draft from it being too cold, or unzipping it.

The Tiburu is something I wear a lot, with the right base layer for the temp, it is very versatile, and when
    it gets too cold for it, (about 8 or 9 Celsius i wear a vest over it) then go to the Bonka, which works from
    below 8 degrees to about zero, maybe 2 degrees if you're taking it easy.

-g
    From your description it looks like the Tiburu is similar to the older intermediate evo that I have.

happycampyer is offline VSalonistas

The tiburu is the successor to the elementOne. The thing I didn't like about the elementOne is that it didn't have a windblock front, so I had to wear it with a vest, which either covered pockets or, if it had pockets but got too warm, was a pain since stuff was in the vest pockets, etc... The tiburu is nice because the front fabric blocks wind better than the elementOne did, imo.

To GrantM's point and to answer nahtnoj, I wear the habu in warmer temps, when I might otherwise wear, say, a long sleeve wool jersey, but want the extra wind protection on the front and arms. I think preferences depend a lot on how one handles cold and how much insulation/wind protection one prefers for a given temp range. I'm pretty sensitive to cold, so tend to dress on the warmer side as the temps fall.

christian is offline VSalonistas

I love the elementOne, specifically because I am not such a fan of windblock. I'm good down to freezing in it with a baselayer. It means my Airjack851 will stay in the closet except for the most bitter mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    The tiburu is the successor to the elementOne. The thing I didn't like about the elementOne is that it didn't have a windblock front, so I had to wear it with a vest, which either covered pockets or, if it had pockets but got too warm, was a pain since stuff was in the vest pockets, etc... The tiburu is nice because the front fabric blocks wind better than the elementOne did, imo.

To GrantM's point and to answer nahtnoj, I wear the habu in warmer temps, when I might otherwise wear, say, a long sleeve wool jersey, but want the extra wind protection on the front and arms. I think preferences depend a lot on how one handles cold and how much insulation/wind protection one prefers for a given temp range. I'm pretty sensitive to cold, so tend to dress on the warmer side as the temps fall.
    the intermediate evo has the windblock front as well.

962 is offline VSalonistas

Kinda wish we had slightly colder temps here to try the heavier Assos jackets. But I am happy with my habu—it seems to work in the temperature range advertised or slightly below. It worked ok in light rain too. I think the weave-fabric back works to shed heat but if it's warmer I do have to fully unzip. The fit is really good so I prefer it to a possibly flappy vest, but I then again need a new vest.

Quote Originally Posted by 962 View Post
    but I then again need a new vest.
    iG.falkenZahn - ASSOS of Switzerland ?

corko is offline VSalonistas
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Blatent plug....

Large Bonka for sale in Classifieds...

Cheers.... Corko

theflashunc is offline VSalonistas

Figured I'd bump this rather than starting new. Any impressions on the bonka versus the new Shaquno? Pocket configuration is quite a bit different, as is the construction.

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

I found a barely used Assos iJ.Bonka.6 Cento XLG Black Volkanga AEPD Slim *Note "slim" on ebay and lucked out it was in good shape.

I've one ancient airjack from way way way back and that was the "it" jacket for me.

Move over. This ij.bonka.6 (omg are you kidding me with the terminology that only makes sense the the swiss) is outstanding. I'm wearing it with just a sleeveless under thingy.

Nothing should be worth their retail price that is just a jacket but man if you have the cash don't hesitate.

I'll get a Bonka when my AirJack wears out, which may take many more years.

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I'll get a Bonka when my AirJack wears out, which may take many more years.
    By then there will be a new naming scheme which will be completely incomprehensible.
    My name is James Edward Kile

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    By then there will be a new naming scheme which will be completely incomprehensible.
    I thought this was all code-speak for not eating enough while riding.
    MarkC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    i'm lost as it is

MarkC is offline VSalonistas

There should be an "Assos" selection in Google translator. I have some Assos knickers and they are great. But damn if I can figure out which model they are. Which prevents me from buying more.
    Lionel likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast