Thread: Has anyone used the new Hayes CX-5 or Shimano CX-75 road disc calipers?

blasdelf is offline VSalonistas

Default Has anyone used the new Hayes CX-5 or Shimano CX-75 road disc calipers?

Both of these brakes started popping up all over on MY13 OEM builds, and they've been available retail for a few months, but I haven't seen squat for reviews…

Hayes CX-5 Road Disc Brake

Shimano CX-75 Disc Brake Caliper

Have any of y'all had a chance to use or set up either?

What levers and cable housing did you use with them?

How did they compare in crappiness and cable pull ratio with the Avid BB7 Road?

RickM is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Has anyone used the new Hayes CX-5 or Shimano CX-75 road disc calipers?

Nice to see that Hayes puts a barrel adjuster on theirs.

GSmith is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Has anyone used the new Hayes CX-5 or Shimano CX-75 road disc calipers?

I've been using the Hayes since August, and have used them on customer builds since the beginning of the year. Excellent mechanical disc brake. Easy to set up, easy to adjust, great modulation, no noise, and they are lighter than BB-7's and better looking.

Haven't seen the new Shimano's or the re-vamped SRAM line up, but for the short money, the Hayes are excellent.

hgrd is offline VSalonistas

Does anyone know if these brakes have the same spring system as the BB7:s for keeping the brake pads apart? I find the design a bit irritating on BB7:s, as the springs get ripped apart when the pads wear down and can jam the whole brake in the middle of a race, rather than just not brake anymore.

lakeside is offline VSalonistas

I have all of 2 rides and 50 miles on my new Ibis Hakkalugi Disc - with the Shimano CX-75's.

I'm an absolute newbie with discs. That said:
    I assembled the bike. Setting them up was intuitive, I had no issues. The Shimano rotors were straight as an arrow.
    I can't compare them to any other disc, but coming from cantilevers these are nice. Smooth and progressive. I'm thinking that the ultimate amount of grab isn't as strong as cantis - but I'm also cognizant that various factory coatings are in need of some more miles to dissipate.

I'll report back in time.

P.S. The Lugi with a low BB (70mm drop) is going to make a fabulous gravel road bike. Stable (no hands not a problem) but at the same time it steers readily too.

ibis_hakkalug_firstride.jpg

alembical is offline VSalonistas

Lakeside,

Just curious now, 2 months later, what your thoughts are those brakes... and that beautiful bike?

lakeside is offline VSalonistas

Brake review first. There is one fly in the ointment - I'm new to disc brakes so I'm very curious if anyone more experienced could weigh in. The bike has been used in the Minneapolis area, which is code for cold, slush and snow. I take part in a weekly 45 mile winter trail ride that goes despite temps in the single digits. Near the end of a sloppy ride one brake (typically the front) will begin to squeal - loudly. The pads are contaminated. After the ride I pull them, sand them a bit, then soak them in automotive brake cleaner. ...Which I follow with another automotive trick, while still wet hitting them with a propane torch to burn off any residue. I clean the rotor in a similar fashion - though no torching of course. This works like a charm, the brake is like new.

Rinse, repeat. Another sloppy ride? Squeal, decontaminate. These are Shimano organic pads. I've purchased a set of metallics, but haven't had the opportunity to test them.

Is this typical? Anyone have any thoughts?

The bike. I'm very pleased with it. I'm not a 'cross racer, instead looking for a 'road like' bike suitable for trail and gravel road rides (and races this coming summer). It excels in this endeavor. My previous 'cross bike was a low buck aluminum one with a typical carbon fork. The full carbon Ibis is simply a much smoother ride, I'm definitely less beat up when I roll in at the end. Looking at the geometry, it also has a low bottom bracket @ 70mm, more typical of a road bike than a 'crosser - I think this is key; the bike is very stable - it rides like a road bike; test riding a Ridley felt like I was on stilts. Different horses for different courses.

I went with a SRAM build for the simplified shift lever - with thick heavy ski mittens on, trying to discriminate between the two Shimano levers on the shifter isn't going to be a successful endeavor for me. The one oddball aspect is the use of a Shimano front der, required because SRAM doesn't do a 'cross/road specific top pull derailleur. The Shimano der cage appears narrower and I couldn't adjust out rubbing in the extreme cross chain positions, even having one additional gear rub - either 2nd from the top or bottom - you choose. Someday SRAM will have a trimmable front shifter like Campagnolo (which I'm much more familiar with). And no, the single intermediate downshift click on the SRAM wasn't enough.

My solution (after trying to spread (er, cold set) the cage plates which didn't work) was to purchase a SRAM front der and track down a product by a German guy called an "Umlenker" which is a custom machined do-hickey that converts a bottom pull der into a top pull. It works great, the cable pull ratios and such are spot on, and the SRAM front der obviously is designed with the SRAM shifter in mind, so my rubbing problems are minimized. Google Umlenker if you need to find him, he only sells direct.

Bottom line, I'm really liking it. Just one issue left to conquer.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

on the screeching pad.
    i thk the pad is contaminated with oil and despite yr best efforts to clean it the stuff comes back to the surface after a little use. pretty common i thk.
    new pad i thk will solve this issue.
    ive never been able to "clean" one up well enough not to work after contamination.
    not saying its not possible but it lies outside of my personal statute of limitations.

Sola SL is offline VSalonistas

The contamination issue and resulting squeal and brake pad and rotor changes are the key reason I am still on canti brakes on my cross racer/commuter. I am warning clients against discs on road bikes about this issue. Forewarned is forearmed.

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    on the screeching pad.
    i thk the pad is contaminated with oil and despite yr best efforts to clean it the stuff comes back to the surface after a little use. pretty common i thk.
    new pad i thk will solve this issue.
    ive never been able to "clean" one up well enough not to work after contamination.
    not saying its not possible but it lies outside of my personal statute of limitations.
    +1. I had a fork blow a seal and drool all over the caliper. Those pads were unsalvageable, even tried baking them in the oven.

miwuksurfer is offline VSalonistas

Any long term reviews with either of these brakes?