Thread: good riding around Palm Springs?

Manumai is offline VSalonistas

Default good riding around Palm Springs?

looks like I'll be there on a job after thanksgiving for about a week...will bring my dirt worthy S&S bike (CX), so very much looking for warm weather and possibly some sick dirt roads
    any suggestions fellas?
    cheers

Vlad Luskin is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: good riding around Palm Springs?

I am in PS a couple of times a year. Road riding is decidedly mediocre and I haven't tried off road. More information here Desert Bicycle Club

Bob Ross is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Luskin View Post
    More information here Desert Bicycle Club
    I think that's the site that we stole some cue sheets from when we went riding in Palm Springs a couple years ago...the route for their "Sunday Recovery Ride" looks semi-familiar.

Not sure I would call the road riding "mediocre", we found enough varied terrain, quality pavement, and interesting scenery to keep us happy for a 3-day weekend...but I did get the impression that if we'd stayed much longer we would have had to go a lot farther out of town, or else be bored. Eh, so maybe that counts as "mediocre".

krthornton is offline VSalonistas

Vlad nailed it. If you can get away from the developed areas a bit, things improve. If you have a car, you can ride along the main road in Joshua Tree, which is quite scenic, but can be seriously cold @ this time of year (elevation).

In PS itself, there is a "bike route" that takes you back amongst the mid-century modern homes. It isn't hard, but you'll cruise by Liberace's place, etc.

There is also the climb to the tramway. The road is the intersection of Hwy 111 and San Rafael, north of downtown. You go up the road towards the mountain. It is a 10%-ish grade for several miles, ending at the parking lot of the tram that would take you up to San Jacinto. The descent is quite rough due to uneven pavement.

thanks guys, that helps...
    I'll probably have a car rentals and will do some of the week rides and possibly the Sat A ride if I can swing it with work schedule
    exploring around Joshua Tree sounds pretty sick, but I doubt I'll have the time to get that far out there

lavi is offline VSalonistas

I just did the drive up to J Tree a month ago. Woulda been a good ride besides the idiots (me) blowing up the pass at 75 mph. The road outta JTree up to the park might be ok. It's only 5 miles long tho. I didn't make it into the park because SteveP's credit is no good at national parks.

Overall, bikes didn't seem super overly considered there.

#lame

I rode along the main road through the park, up on the plateau. Speed limits are low there, as it is a nat'l park, and drivers seemed fine. Wind and cold were the main issues. Not a long ride, neither.

lemonlaug is offline VSalonistas

Aren't there fire roads etc. in Joshua Tree? Might not be any help to the op, but I always thought it might be fun, although perhaps not this time o year.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlaug View Post
    Aren't there fire roads etc. in Joshua Tree? Might not be any help to the op, but I always thought it might be fun, although perhaps not this time o year.
    I think the answer is "not yet"--bikes are currently only allowed on roads open to vehicles, with future plans to expand access to bikes. Mountain Biking - Joshua Tree National Park

ned
    ned is offline VSalonistas

Training camp was there last January. The riders gave the roads a thumbs down but the executives gave the golf a thumbs up (so camp will probably be there again this year).

I might venture and do a loop at J Tree park on saturday instead...looks like there's some dirt that is allowed, and being the speed limits low, it might be wise!

Vlad Luskin is offline VSalonistas

If you are into climbing, go up Highway 74 from Palm Desert. After residential three miles of dead straight uphill, the road enters mountains and starts twisting and turning all over. Total climbing is something on the order of 13 miles (Kevin, chime in here :-)), with nothing steeper than 7%. If you leave early in the morning, traffic is relatively light, views are amazing and, once you crest, riding in the San Jacintos is pretty tasty. Bring lots of water. No services at the top except for a fire station, where you can get water, but the firemen weren't too friendly when I stopped there. The descent back to Palm Desert requires no braking. Bring gears big enough to pedal. I spin out my 52x13 and just sit there bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Luskin View Post
    If you are into climbing, go up Highway 74 from Palm Desert. After residential three miles of dead straight uphill, the road enters mountains and starts twisting and turning all over. Total climbing is something on the order of 13 miles (Kevin, chime in here :-)), with nothing steeper than 7%. If you leave early in the morning, traffic is relatively light, views are amazing and, once you crest, riding in the San Jacintos is pretty tasty. Bring lots of water. No services at the top except for a fire station, where you can get water, but the firemen weren't too friendly when I stopped there. The descent back to Palm Desert requires no braking. Bring gears big enough to pedal. I spin out my 52x13 and just sit there bored.
    I've not done that climb, but it sounds like a good one. 74 is one of the routes up to Idyllwild. Another is the 243, accessed off of the 10 in Banning. I've only driven it (hiking not biking that weekend), but there were loads of riders going up, down, and around all day. It is a schlep from PS, but it is a gorgeous alpine region up there.

lemonlaug is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by krthornton View Post
    I think the answer is "not yet"--bikes are currently only allowed on roads open to vehicles, with future plans to expand access to bikes. Mountain Biking - Joshua Tree National Park
    Some of the kosher backcountry roads sound pretty good though right? High clearance vehicles required and all that.

thornym9 is offline VSalonistas

i ride there every winter weekend and the roads can be rough but there are epic rides available. Saturday group ride is about 65 miles and fast; no lights for about 20 miles. desert bicycle club web site. the hills for a cross bike are very good but lots of sharp rocks and wasted a good pair of FMBs box canyon, ride to salton sea. call my cell if you want to ride 949 five47 7888

Quote Originally Posted by Manumai View Post
    looks like I'll be there on a job after thanksgiving for about a week...will bring my dirt worthy S&S bike (CX), so very much looking for warm weather and possibly some sick dirt roads
    any suggestions fellas?
    cheers

thornym9 is offline VSalonistas

they redid the tramway road all new pavement 1900 ft elevation and a 14% grade last mile