Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: good reasons to buy a custom bike

BryanF is offline VSalonistas
    Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco

Default Re: good reasons to buy a custom bike

Good reason...? They're cool, look awesome and the relationship thing with the builder is dope. However, the best reason I can think of is that I thought cycling was supposed to hurt for the first 30 years of my life. I was born with my feet basically facing backwards and spent the first 6 or 7 years of my life in Forrest Gump style braces (yep, they're not just for Hollywood). I'm Mr. Normal in my body measurements and wear off-the-rack clothes but my sit bones are basically in my knees. "Off the Rivet" doesn't even really come close to describing the visual of me on a saddle. So..a 59/55.5 is just about perfect with a 74STA. For me the last 10 years have been a revelation. Places like this and several great experiences with builders and fitters have absolutely changed my riding experience....but you'd never know it if you just saw me walking down the street....

To think of the frames I used to ride...long, low, laid-back...I used to burn through rear tires about 100x faster than fronts, descended like shit and my back, neck, hips and ankles hurt ALL the time.

Joel Benjamin L is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    Good reason...? They're cool, look awesome and the relationship thing with the builder is dope. However, the best reason I can think of is that I thought cycling was supposed to hurt for the first 30 years of my life. [...] So..a 59/55.5 is just about perfect with a 74STA. For me the last 10 years have been a revelation. Places like this and several great experiences with builders and fitters have absolutely changed my riding experience....[...]
    You are the 1%

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Add a kickstand and you have a rod holder!
    - Garro.
    I have a kickstand! Amazingly handy things. Who knew? But mine sinks in the sand, so I leave the bike at the parking lot. Mostly casting anyway, but I do have another piece of PVC cut at an angle so I can jam it into the sand for a rod holder if I break down and go for the cut squid.

amos scattergood is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Milkcrate is on the list for the fall. I was also thinking of a larger diameter length of PVC on the other side of the rack. Then I could just shove the striper/bluefish in the tube head first with the tail flapping in the breeze. Plus it would work for bleeding out a bluefish on the way home to keep it tasty.

PVC, hose clamps and duct tape. Miracles of mankind.
    I miss catching and eating bluefish. I don't miss fearing for my toes and fingers while surfing!

amos

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Because when you get on it, like I got on the Zanconato tonight for only the second time since Ballers, it fits like an old pair of jeans, is as comfortable as your favorite chair and feels like meeting up with an old friend again. That's why.

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Because when you get on it, like I got on the Zanconato tonight for only the second time since Ballers, it fits like an old pair of jeans, is as comfortable as your favorite chair and feels like meeting up with an old friend again. That's why.
    Kind of like tubulars.

ChristianSLC is offline VSalonistas

I actually didn't want to buy custom, but everything was pointing me that way so I took the chance. 61 x 57 with a 6 cm drop, it's eff-ing awesome.

D-CT is offline Administrator

I'm glad this thread is still alive.

Have another beer and keep talking.

Dorman is offline VSalonistas

The difficulty of test rides is a bit of a pain. You can nail down the fit easy enough on paper, but the ride quality is so esoteric.

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have a good friend who is a potter. He makes great stuff. Our kitchen is full of it. He always says that if you have the chance to get something made by hand by somebody (and that doesn't mean without machinery and assumes high quality) versus something mass produced, get the built by hand thing because it is built by hand.

Seems like that's as good a reason as any.
    The equivalent of the mountaineer climbing a mountain: because it's there. No other reason required.

dpcompt is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Good reasons to buy a custom bike:

1. You want it
    2. You can afford the one you want
    3. You'll ride it
    I rarely reply to this forum because I usually get slammed. Finally someone hit the nail on the head. Try fitting this guy on a stock bike: 5'9 1/4", saddle height 77.5 cm, stiff 60yo back.
    I know, " You should work on your flexibility". Been there and done that. Bottom line, if I bought a wonderful $10,000 Pinarello and road it for three weeks, I might consider playing golf again.
    Custom for old farts is awesome. 56 cm Specialized Tarmacs are for young wannabees. I don't like finishing rides looking for drugs and crutches.

dhoff is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by JBLANDE View Post
    You are the 1%
    Me too. Man when I rode years ago on custom Harleys, with a club, Being that "1%" meant something VERY DIFFERENT.
    ExecutiveDirector@Ultracycling.com
    The UMCA

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore. ~ Vincent Van Gogh

steampunk is offline VSalonistas

To get the details exactly as you want, and to work with some really great people one-on-one.

WFSTEKL is offline VSalonistas

Reasons not to buy a custom bike:

1. your roof leaks
    2. your kids have duct tape on their shoes
    3. your car is on blocks in the front yard
    4. your pet dog is beginning to look delicious
    5. your wife wears "fuck me red" lipstick when she goes to "work"

Darren, that Goodrich is absolutely killer. One of the nicest machines I've seen in a while. Can you give us some geo particulars? What did you request for ride manners? High/low BB? What trail? Etc.

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    Reasons not to buy a custom bike:

1. your roof leaks
    2. your kids have duct tape on their shoes
    3. your car is on blocks in the front yard
    4. your pet dog is beginning to look delicious
    5. your wife wears "fuck me red" lipstick when she goes to "work"

Darren, that Goodrich is absolutely killer. One of the nicest machines I've seen in a while. Can you give us some geo particulars? What did you request for ride manners? High/low BB? What trail? Etc.
    hey billy
    that car is for sale... pm me...
    " as is" but with a little effort you could get a lot of miles on it... radio is killer too...

Tomi is offline Pack Filler

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    get some modern micro bars,
    then you can run a long stem.
    Why would I want to do that ?

Tom
    Tom is offline VSalonistas

Actually, being serious (I still haven't read the whole thread, I just clicked to the end), for me the biggest reason is somebody at a small shop built the thing with their hands. I like things where somebody's vision can be made real by the skill of their craft. Something whipped up by a numerically controlled device works great in some contexts, but in my opinion not this one. It's not a rational opinion but it's mine and I think my opinions are the finest.

appolocreed is offline VSalonistas

5'10" with a 79cm saddle height, that's enough reason. My legs beg for a stock 56cm or 58cm, but my torso fit's a stock 54cm (for most manufacturers), which leaves me with the choice of being way too stretched out, or having way too short of a head tube and spacers up the wazoo. Hey can someone tell me the proper or most accepted way to measure saddle to bar drop?

Dave Porter is offline VSalonistas

First I have to say I need to advertise more and second I need a 100 posts so I meet the rules for the classified forum.. ;~)
    I want, always have, a bike that calls to me and says I'm bad, I'm fast, I look awesome..let's go ride. Here's one of the shaped Spirit bikes that to my eye (yeah I'm blind in one of 'em) has those attributes.. what do you guys think?butterfly1IMG_1263_1.jpg butterfly2IMG_1260_2.JPG
    To tell the truth I really think that sloping top tubes are pretty ugly and a general cop out, especially if it is custom built. There is no reason to buy one "custom built" with one other than to look like everyone else' carbon rig. BTW that blue frame of Curt's at the top is right on and even calls to me. Nice!
    dave

Paul is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by appolocreed View Post
    Hey can someone tell me the proper or most accepted way to measure saddle to bar drop
    Make sure the bike's on a level surface, then just measure from the floor to the top of the bars and floor to top of saddle then subtract.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast