Thread: Golden Gate Park Cyclocross is done

anomaly is offline VSalonistas

Default Golden Gate Park Cyclocross is done

I don't even know what to say....
    From Tom, who runs Bay Area Super Prestige
    "In words immortalized and paraphrased from the immortal Obi-Wan,
    "Dudes, I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
    Well, I don't know about how terrible it is, but something has disturbed the Force, the CX Force, that is. If you don't know your San Francisco history, Golden Gate Park was built by John McLaren in the latter part of the nineteenth century, way out in the sandy hinterlands of SF. The barren space was sand dunes and those gazillions of trees you enjoy today were planted to help stabilize the dunes. But in 2012, the sandy and delicate nature of the Park means we can no longer race the Park is showing too much impact and can't withstand the amount of wheeled traffic we pour onto it both every Thanksgiving weekend and during the frequent training sessions. The trails, the new plantings designed to continue to anchor the underlying dunes they are all in jeopardy from an overabundance of our wheeled traffic.
    We had significant discussions with SF Rec/Park officials about methods they would require to alert and manage traffic on the course (we'd have to have our staff on site in the park during the week prior to the event to keep the course clear of off-road cyclists) but that combined with significant new permit fees we can't do it. We're still going to be racing on November 25 it just won't be at GG Park again. Hope whoever has enjoyed the Park since 2004 and our first event will keep those great memories alive and transfer them to all other existing Cyclocross venues they're difficult to find and just as difficult to keep. Let's enjoy our memories of some great events and move forward to more great events at our available locations.

Are you looking for some great training grounds? How about Sierra Point and Candlestick for pretty close SF venues - and the trails are now well marked.
    For November 25 we are racing - at Candlestick."
    I'm grateful I got to race there 3 times.

jitahs is offline VSalonista "I don't hate fat people"

Default Re: Golden Gate Park Cyclocross is done

This is absolutely the right call. The level of impact is noticeable, the sandy parts deeper, the previously more hard pack is sandier.

I'm glad for the careful steward of the park.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

spopepro is offline VSalonistas

I'm sad, but yeah... it has to be this way. Hopefully this will help with cutting down, or at least spreading out, the practice sessions which really can't be helping anything.

Last time I raced there after finishing the race I went to watch a bit, and was handed a beer by a dude who wanted to chat about what was going on, a dude who wouldn't have been there if it wasn't in the middle of the city. Losing an urban race means losing a bit of spectacle and fun from having an audience of people who didn't just race. That's a real bummer.

andys is offline VSalonistas

Good call but a bummer. The big concerts and running events while admittedly very beneficial to the city beat the hell out of the park a lot more that the CX race.

zetroc is offline VSalonistas

I love watching races in GGP, but if it's what's best for the park, then I'll put up with it. But Candlestick still sucks.
    steve cortez

FNG

anomaly is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    This is absolutely the right call. The level of impact is noticeable, the sandy parts deeper, the previously more hard pack is sandier.

I'm glad for the careful steward of the park.
    Then they really should cancel hardly Strictly and Outside Lands. Those do quite a bit more harm than the race and practice do.

jitahs is offline VSalonista "I don't hate fat people"

Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Then they really should cancel hardly Strictly and Outside Lands. Those do quite a bit more harm than the race and practice do.
    As mentioned those bring in big bux, so politically expedient. Arguments can be made that those impact grasslands more so, which are easily watered/maintained/re-seeded. I agree those mega-events all impact the park severely tho.

Packing down sand with water and shovels actually requires hand labor, which we know the rec guys are reluctant to do.

Mostly I see the big events getting bigger and new events, like cx, just add to the park's eco-crush. Last in, first to go as they say. It would be interesting to see how bad the trails were after Hardly Strictly, for accuracy's sake.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

pdmtong is offline VSalonistas

it sucks, but hopefully not forever.

- dammit I never did make it up the section after the dive bomb, let alone grab the dollar bill off a chix butt. I am truly lame, although believe me i suffered.

- Idiot me overshoot the turn exiting the backside straight one year and ended up with tape in my mouth. rookie mistake

- blame it on the SSWCCX (just kidding)

- Madz made the podium last year for girls <18.

Here she is charging the section I can't make the first year we raced it. age 11. 8am. 45degrees. This, after getting up at 5:45am so we could drive, park and preview.
    Thats a size XS santa cruz juliana

5218789763_bcb540aa15_o.jpg

Fond memories for sure.

drietz is offline VSalonistas

I was lucky enough to be able to witness the madness that was SSWCCX 2011. Holy. Carp. That race (or non-race, whatever. Relegate) was absolutely ridiculous, mostly because who the heck would've thought that there was this cyclocross metropolis in the middle of our "big city."

By the way, no way can this be pinned on SSWCCX. Was there a month later with the fam and wow, it's like there was never a slurried, rutted trail system or even a giant dunk tank.

Look585 is offline VSalonistas

It'll be ok guys. You can still drink pabst, smoke weed, and wear a dress in the park. Isn't that what cross is all about?

BryanF is offline VSalonistas
    Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco

Bummer, but it isn't like they were summarily tossed out. Park n' Rec just raised the cost too high to bear. Those big festivals may be feeling the same pinch...although they're obviously in a much better position to roll with it if so.

spopepro is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    Bummer, but it isn't like they were summarily tossed out. Park n' Rec just raised the cost too high to bear. Those big festivals may be feeling the same pinch...although they're obviously in a much better position to roll with it if so.
    I don't think it was just the cost, nor do I think that the cost would have been bumped too much if we were just talking event. Our team has been relaying the message from Tom for a couple of years now about please, please, please don't use the course for practice, and if you absolutely must, don't publicize it. The trails are not officially legal, which means that it's not really even possible to have "trail days" to rebuild save for the couple of designated plantings and rakings after the actual event. This has placed an additional burden on a somewhat* cash strapped parks and rec dept to do the repair and maintenence.

*I happily voted for both parks and rec bonds, but it's not a great feeling approving money and simultaneously losing services...

BryanF is offline VSalonistas
    Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco

Yeah, no doubt the wear and tear from poaching has taken a toll. I'm in the park all the time with my kids and I don't think I can remember a visit where I haven't seen at least one group or cross riders in the bushes. Multiply that by 8 hours/day/7 days per week....

amos scattergood is offline VSalonistas

I had been looking forward to this all year, not looking forward to another Candlestick race!

amos