Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavere Superprestige derailleur ripping.

rabo is offline VSalonistas

Default Gavere Superprestige derailleur ripping.

On now (10 eastern) Sport-livez.com || Channel 5
    Derailleur hangers snapping left and right. If there ever was a test for material.
    I can see disc brakes having an advantage in this slop.

Zen Cyclery is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Gavere Superprestige derailleur ripping.

Truth to that. I wouldn't want to be riding cantis in that kind of mud.
    Visit http://www.zencyclery.com for custom, handbuilt wheels.

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

missed it
    nijs is the king.

WayneJ is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Truth to that. I wouldn't want to be riding cantis in that kind of mud.
    yet most (if not all) of the riders were

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

Klaas an Bart had the rides of the day
    discs may help you from shitting your chamois' but you still have to pedal up those hills
    that is where this race is won/lost
    "make the break"

SteveP is offline vSalon Legend

a nervous chance replies...
    all the while worried that he is on the verge of losing his 401k to stevep w/ worlds on the horizon and the disc question unsettled still...

rabo is offline VSalonistas

It would have been nice to see at least one top 10 rider on discs because it will show with (now) guys locking up-sliding-overshooting.
    Also wonder what the ratio of mechanical group versus electronic is in the derailleur ripping.
    Arnhouts ripped one in warm up and one in the race, his teammate van Amerongen one in the race, van Tornhout one in the race, Simunek in race, several more it seemed.
    better a $10 hanger than a derailleur I guess but I wonder what exactly happens. Most (all?) happen when they're on the 25 in the back mashing.

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    better a $10 hanger than a derailleur I guess but I wonder what exactly happens. Most (all?) happen when they're on the 25 in the back mashing.
    shifting to the 27 that isn't there
    "make the break"

jamesand is offline VSalonistas

GP Hasselt - from yesterday: entire race.

Cyclocross 2012-13 - GP Hasselt - YouTube

Asper-Gavere, Superprestige - Today, last lap: poor quality. :-(

cyclocross superpresitge gavere 2012 - last lap - YouTube
    Start slow, then taper off.

jamesand is offline VSalonistas

Cyclocross Veldrijden Superprestige 2012/13 Round 4 - Asper Gavere - YouTube

Full race, Asper-Gavere Superprestige. High quality.
    Start slow, then taper off.

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Sven Nys seems to have everything clicking. Each race I have wondered at least once whether he isn't too far back, but then several laps later he is sitting at the leader's shoulder waiting.

BTW, what's up with Alex Revell?

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sven Nys seems to have everything clicking. Each race I have wondered at least once whether he isn't too far back, but then several laps later he is sitting at the leader's shoulder waiting.

BTW, what's up with Alex Revell?
    Nys is a cold, and calculating operator. He watches the early moves and knows who will implode and who will sustain.
    He is strong enough to let the first couple of laps go and watch for the right move- then jump across. it's fucking scary.
    aside from his WC crash and mechanical this has been pretty much a pefect season for him

all that to say- I miss Stybie and Boom. (Nys recently dismissed both of them)

Revell- really?
    "make the break"

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

Answer me this: if cantis are reaching the limits of their braking, what good would MORE braking be?! I watched the race start to finish. Lots of guys sliding around... Seems they reach the end of their traction WELL before they reach the end of their braking.

Between that and getting a new bike every 1/2 lap, who needs discs?

M

velobran is offline VSalonistas

^^ MORE braking would bring them to a dead stop in the slop without momentum to stay upright. I'm in the Legstrong camp for this one. Cantis scrub speed just fine enough to allow them to correct their line or not go slamming into fans.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

suhacycles is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    Answer me this: if cantis are reaching the limits of their braking, what good would MORE braking be?! I watched the race start to finish. Lots of guys sliding around... Seems they reach the end of their traction WELL before they reach the end of their braking.
    That's the impression I got. I mean discs work great in the context of big fat 2+ inch knobby tires going down the side of a mountain but sliding around the mud at 12 mph...I dunno....?

j44ke is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    Nys is a cold, and calculating operator. He watches the early moves and knows who will implode and who will sustain.
    He is strong enough to let the first couple of laps go and watch for the right move- then jump across. it's fucking scary.
    aside from his WC crash and mechanical this has been pretty much a pefect season for him

all that to say- I miss Stybie and Boom. (Nys recently dismissed both of them)

Revell- really?
    I am just wondering how he is there. I see him leave last at every start and in this race he appeared to take a pretty heavy fall. Before the race he expressed concern about his abilities to handle the slippery course. He seems in over his head - how does he get into the field? The first time I saw him I actually thought he was some sort of merry prankster.

John Mansell is offline VSalonistas

Cyclocross is an aerobic sport and to that effect Nys has the biggest diesel engine in the race. Yes, he is a superb tactician and his skills are second to none but his engine is what makes up for any mishaps and or unforeseen issue. He can ride to the front and away from the front at will. I feel Albert is a more complete rider but his engine is just slightly smaller that Nys. Its been great racing this year.

ME Grimpeur is offline VSalonistas

I am just wondering how he is there. I see him leave last at every start and in this race he appeared to take a pretty heavy fall. Before the race he expressed concern about his abilities to handle the slippery course. He seems in over his head - how does he get into the field? The first time I saw him I actually thought he was some sort of merry prankster.
    He def looks the part. Jumping from NZ to Belgium does not seem to be the logical progression but I know nothing of NZ cross.

Good interview here:
    Alex Revell - The ChainStay The ChainStay

His "popularity" may be a bit of schadenfreude to the Belgians - he got that nice slo-mo replay during the race yesterday when he ate it on one of the downhills - but the more global participation there is at this level - in any regard - is good for growing the sport.

There always seems to be one or three of these types of guys at the back of most races having a go over there. Last year it was a couple of 'mericans and a CAN IIRC...but they we clean shaven... and no cool accent(s).

ME Grimpeur is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by John Mansell View Post
    Cyclocross is an aerobic sport and to that effect Nys has the biggest diesel engine in the race. Yes, he is a superb tactician and his skills are second to none but his engine is what makes up for any mishaps and or unforeseen issue. He can ride to the front and away from the front at will. I feel Albert is a more complete rider but his engine is just slightly smaller that Nys. Its been great racing this year.
    I think you have it backwards. Nys rides with less punch or pop than Albert or Pauwels - but always at such a high cadence and with such balance. He's so good at this he seems to recover while other guys are killing them selves trying to hold their bikes up.

this is an Olympic year and Nys was dialed on the MTB this summer. He's running better than I've ever seen him. He's sustaining better too.

Albert is quite the conundrum - I often think he must be riding a SS. Compared to Nys he looks like he's riding in slo-mo. When he gets it going on hard dry ground - he's faster than anyone not named Pauwels. (I have my own theory about where his form is) When the ground gets soft that big gear mashing seems to take a lot away from his skills to be punchy. Anyway...kinds of boring season so far. This year seems to be all about ONE race in KY.

you want to race in the "A" races in Belgium?
    progress up through the USA fields to become a 1, heck you just need to be a 2 and an UCI license.
    i would suggest finishing in at least the top 15 at US Nats, though.
    the best racing experience would be in the "B" races, you would be competitive, instead of just hanging on, or racing NOT to get lapped.
    "make the break"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast