Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

  1. #1
    Too Tall's Avatar
    Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    13,894

    Default Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Friday PicFest No.123

    Eric, Right on this is what I like to see. I like where you are going with the working stand, reminds me of something I've been dreaming of for similar use. Is this for an actual customer or an high concept work? Where is the water stored and held during transport?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-22-2011 at 08:51 AM.

  2. #2
    billrick's Avatar
    billrick is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Eric - Wow, just wow.

    Drew - I saw this blue beauty when it hit the 29er forum on MTBR this week. You blew some minds over there:

    New Engin Sweetness from Philadelphia - Lots of Pictures - Mountain Bike Review


  3. #3
    Matthew J is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Chauncey: Thanks for posting the Fast Boy pics. Was not familiar with the builder or his story until now. Good to learn about someone overcoming adversity and getting back to living.

  4. #4
    pruckelshaus's Avatar
    pruckelshaus is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    40.176726,-75.499322
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Eric - mobile knife sharpening service?
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

    pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

  5. #5
    54ny77 is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,002

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    THAT.

    KIRK.

    IS.

    UN.

    FRIGGIN'.

    BELIEVABLE.

    Exactly what I would order if the orderin' gods were in agreement. Absolutely perfect in every way. Wow, wow, and wow.

  6. #6
    steve garro's Avatar
    steve garro is offline VSalonistas

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    6,103

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Eric: I've seen those throughout the 3rd world, with the coolest one in Bolivia - nice job!

    Dornbox: please put more filler on that, unless it's TIG'ed underneath. If it is, disregard.

    DK - damn, just damn.

    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Eric Estlund's Avatar
    Eric Estlund is online now VSalonistas

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Thanks guys-

    This was ordered by a customer in Portland with a family cutlery business. My understanding is that he hopes to use it both as a show piece and as a mobile service for his customers.

    It is based pretty heavily on a specific example that has been a longtime staple in Rome with some tweaks from other Italian, German and British examples. These are generally just hodge podged with old bikes- building one that was fully integrated (and serviceable) was a bit of a challenge (especially with a wheel that size!). It was tweaked for a central wheel (they are often off center, making the arrotino turn to sharpen), multi speed hub (that provided some flip stand head scratching) and better braking.

    There is a drip system that isn't shown on the bike. Water will be carried centrally in regular water bottles (saves the dangling milk bottles of old) and can be reclaimed with the water drain at the bottom of the stainless case.

  8. #8
    Too Tall's Avatar
    Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    13,894

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Thanks guys-

    This was ordered by a customer in Portland with a family cutlery business. My understanding is that he hopes to use it both as a show piece and as a mobile service for his customers.

    It is based pretty heavily on a specific example that has been a longtime staple in Rome with some tweaks from other Italian, German and British examples. These are generally just hodge podged with old bikes- building one that was fully integrated (and serviceable) was a bit of a challenge (especially with a wheel that size!). It was tweaked for a central wheel (they are often off center, making the arrotino turn to sharpen), multi speed hub (that provided some flip stand head scratching) and better braking.

    There is a drip system that isn't shown on the bike. Water will be carried centrally in regular water bottles (saves the dangling milk bottles of old) and can be reclaimed with the water drain at the bottom of the stainless case.
    Bad a$$ Mr. E.

  9. #9
    cs124 is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Erik Rolf: just lovely. Can you tell us some more about the coupled bike? Specifically brakes, tyres, clearance and intended use.

  10. #10
    Alliance Bicycles is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ketchum, ID
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Quote Originally Posted by cs124 View Post
    Erik Rolf: just lovely. Can you tell us some more about the coupled bike? Specifically brakes, tyres, clearance and intended use.
    Thanks CS,

    The style of bike has many names: all-arounder, dirt road bike, allroad, and more I'm sure. It's been a very popular bike for me so far. The brakes are Velo-Orange Grand Cru models, the tires are some Hutchinson Piranha's. It will clear a pair of 35c cross tires comfortable, but there's not a ton of room for thick mud. They also make great rain bikes and I always try and talk the customer into full fender mounts. No problem getting a 43mm fender and some 28-29c tires in there.
    Erik Rolf
    Ketchum, ID
    Visit the website @ http://www.alliancebicycles.com

  11. #11
    Dave Kirk's Avatar
    Dave Kirk is offline VSalonistas
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Friday Night Lights #123 comments here

    Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    THAT.

    KIRK.

    IS.

    UN.

    FRIGGIN'.

    BELIEVABLE.

    Exactly what I would order if the orderin' gods were in agreement. Absolutely perfect in every way. Wow, wow, and wow.
    Thanks for the comments. Nice of you to say.

    Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com


Similar Threads

  1. Friday Night Lights #94 Comments
    By Sean in CA in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 08:51 AM
  2. Thursday night lights # 79 comments.
    By Shinomaster in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 12:40 AM
  3. Friday Night Lights
    By false_aesthetic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
  4. Friday night lights
    By Mikej in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •