Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the finger atmo -

54ny77 is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: the finger atmo -

hell hath no fury like an elderly woman denied social security payments due to lack of increasing the debt ceiling....

chasea is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    This is wrong on several levels.
    1) The photographer should have known better.
    2) VeloNews should know better.
    3) Cav ain't the man in black.
    Fixed it for you.

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

72gmc is offline VSalonistas

Not hard to find examples of the right way to do this. Seems you can forgo the anger if you're with Demi and Penelope. Oops, a repeat of Johnny is OK.
    a one bike believer

Gradient is offline VSalonistas

VN, great forum back in the '90s. Have not been to their site for months, did not even know they changed their forum drivers. Most interesting VeloNews is the exodus from there, Pelkey RIFFed and cancer surgery, then twitter snipping with Tex. I wonder if Borders got their delivery of this issue, then I can buy it at a 40% discount.

ZenNMotion is offline VSalonistas

Yep, this one with the pic was the final straw for me. My wife subscribes as a gift to me, I called VN,cancelled the remainder of my subscription (whether or not I get any refund, dunno, don't care) and left a message with the circulation person who answers the phone with an Email and phone number if they want (or care) to know why. Coupled with pretty much being done with much interest in pro cycling eurotrash anyway, I've discovered that the Atlantic Monthly is a better read instead. VN used to be about the sport, now it's about the industry. Eff it. BTW, if anyone has any interest in a pile of old ones lemme know and I'll ship them to you for cost, trying to clean out the crap and get mean and lean with stuff and it ain't easy for me to throw anything away.

Auk
    Auk is offline VSalonistas

He makes me wish that Robbie Mac was still on the top of his sprint game. Shit would have been epic. The aftersprint clashes would have been the Robbie Mac show.

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

I was unable to find E-Richie's letter online on their website. Is there a linkiepoo?

Oh, and just for good measure...

the bottle ride is offline VSalonistas

Velo-snooze has been off the mark since they got off the news print and went all glossy.

They annouced recently that they have decided to work with a coach who dopes juniors....why would any proper new magazine hire someone who doped juniors? How can you work with someone who clearily has the ability to suspend normal judgement and endanger children. Shame on Velo-snooze.

NOTE: still love Zinn. Been reading him for a long time and appreciate the insight in most of his pieces.

davids is online now VSalonista

Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. It's all just part of his public persona. I don't think he's anything like as much of a ratbag as some other Pros.
    Lee
    This is wrong on several levels.
    1) The photographer should have known better.
    2) VeloNews should know better.
    3) Cav ain't punk rock.
    It's posed.
    Posed ain't punk.
    It's lame and pandering.
    GO!

e-RICHIE is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I was unable to find E-Richie's letter online on their website. Is there a linkiepoo?

Dear VeloNews -

A posed, full page portrait photograph of Mark Cavendish giving the finger?

I have been reading this publication since the Georges started it in Brattleboro, Vermont in 1972. Whatever has happened at the magazine lately to give an image like that a hall pass is indicative of a downward spiral. It pains me to write this, partly because I have friends and clients on your masthead, but VeloNews has finally gone past it sell-by date as a resource worth considering if I want news and information about bicycle racing. We all know what the finger means so I want to articulate my feelings back to you without the picture: Fuck you. You have taken what was once a treasure and sunk it.

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA

ElvisMerckx is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Dear VeloNews ... I want to articulate my feelings back to you without the picture: Fuck you. You have taken what was once a treasure and sunk it.

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA
    E-Richie is punk rock.

edoz is offline VSalonistas

Dear VeloNews -

I have been reading this publication since the Georges started it in Brattleboro, Vermont in 1972. Whatever has happened at the magazine lately to give an image like that a hall pass is indicative of a downward spiral. It pains me to write this, partly because I have friends and clients on your masthead, but VeloNews has finally gone past it sell-by date as a resource worth considering if I want news and information about bicycle racing. We all know what the finger means so I want to articulate my feelings back to you without the picture: Fuck you. You have taken what was once a treasure and sunk it.

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA
    I still think you should've thrown an atmo in after the fuck you.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Saab2000 is offline VSalonistas

Dear VeloNews -

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA
    Crystal clear. Thanks!

BTW, I was a long-time fan of the old Winning mag. I recently bought a Rouleur and loved every second of it. There may be more of those in my future. Just a thought on cycling pubs.... Finally, I remember your old ads in VeloNews from years ago. So I know that you helped build them up. I doubt those full page (or half page, don't remember anymore) ads were cheap. I wonder if the folks you bought ad space from are still there?

Michael White is offline VSalonistas

Dear VeloNews -

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA
    Good job. We should all try to hold institutions accountable for their errors, if only to make them pause and reflect--especially when we have history to draw on, as Richie demonstrates here.

HorsCat is offline VSalonistas

Dear VeloNews -

Richard Sachs
    Warwick, MA
    that's awesome - a hearty chapeau to you.

my take (on the picture, that is): 1. cav being cav; 2. velo's race to the bottom to expand the readership base. they have recently lost me, too.

Flying Pigeon is offline VSalonistas

Think we'll ever get a commemorative saddle out of this?

e-RICHIE is offline Administrator

to be clear atmo - that picture isn't editorial, it's art direction (or, more appropriately, art misdirection). if i ever appropriated
    a similar ploy to get people to look deeper into what i do and offer, i'd have to accept the consequences, as will velonews. to
    my mind, the zine has finally passed its sell-by date.

the bottle ride is offline VSalonistas

E-Richie is punk rock.
    I was just thinking that recently...there are some parallels between ATMO and the punk rock warlord Joe Strummer.

xjoex is offline VSalonistas

Meh, its a photo in a magazine, do not take any offense or care at all.

I do like VN though, Nick Legan is always entertaining.

-Joe

dbrk is offline VSalonistas

When your business is failing you do even more stupid things to "transform" it. Should we be surprised? Did we not see this coming? I just care less and less about anything but a good ride, maybe with a pal but content to be on a good bike and an empty road.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast