Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enve 6.7 vs. Enve 3.4

papiblez is offline VSalonistas

Default Enve 6.7 vs. Enve 3.4

I'm new here but I'm hoping to get some insight from folks on a big decision I'm making. I'm finally breaking down and getting a power meter. My buddy has been bugging me to do it for a few years now and I've decided I want to take that next step to improve in my riding. So I'm getting a powertap put in a new set of Enve wheels. I current ride the Enve 65 tubular model and I love them...most of the time. The braking is really good, even in wet descents but the bigger issue I have with them is their stability on descents basically 9 percent or higher. They are not very stable if there is the slightest crosswind. If it's a big one, then forget it, I'm all over the road. Since I'm married with two small children, I'd like to not die on one of my weekend rides.

Any way, I love the stiffness of the wheels and on the flats and rolling terrain they're exceptional. I've read everywhere that Enve has really corrected the crosswind issue for descending on the 6.7s while maintaining the stiffness of the current wheelset I love so much. But the last thing I want to do is drop some major coin on a new wheelset and have the same issue. But again I love the aero advantage and feeling on the 65s I own. Does anyone have experience with both? I don't mind a little push on the descents. I rode the Zipp 404 this past weekend to test them out and while they were incredible on the descents, then didn't have Enve's stiffness and incredible feeling of speed on the flats (I felt like I was struggling to get them up to speed). I'm really leaning towards the 6.7 since the claim is that they truly fixed the descending issue but I'd rather hear that from unbiased riders rather than the company who makes the wheel.

Thanks in advance. This forum is great.

C.Dyer is offline VSalonistas

Justin Spinelli is offline VSalonistas

Default Re: Enve 6.7 vs. Enve 3.4

the 3.4s are going to feel as fast as your 65s but won't get caught up in the crosswinds. great rimset. the 6.7 are more a time trial rim or for guys who weight a lot.

twowheels is offline VSalonistas

How much is a powertap and the wheels? You ought to buy my reynolds dv 46's and a used srm (I have one but I haven't yet put it up for sale).

ergott is offline VSalonistas

Sorry I can't compare the two firsthand, but I put about 5000 miles on a set of 6.7s with no problems. I'm about 160 and I didn't get pushed around at all. I'll be testing the 8.9s this season.

The 6.7s shine over 22-23 or so.

papiblez is offline VSalonistas

Thanks ergott. I weigh about 170 right now. Are they fairly easy to get over high gradient climbs? My buddy and I are talking about going to Europe in 2013 and a big part of that trip will be doing some of the best climbs in the TdF (climbing isn't my favorite thing about cycling - I enjoy going as fast as I can on flats better but he's much more of a climber so I appease him). I'm assuming the braking is better than my 65s too? I will say that when I test rode the Zipp 404 that was one thing I loved about it. The braking was just as good as aluminum surfaces.

For a purchase as big as these, I would consider the type of riding you want to do most of the time. The climbs I do are short, but steep. I'd rather power over them so the heavier rim is ideal for me. If you prefer the flats, get the best rim depth to suit that. I don't know how much you plan on riding the Alps in comparison.

ilvwhtgrls is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Spinelli View Post
    the 3.4s are going to feel as fast as your 65s but won't get caught up in the crosswinds. great rimset. the 6.7 are more a time trial rim or for guys who weight a lot.
    That would be awesome! I'm currently on a set of Zipp 303/404s but I'm really leaning towards the 3.4s. I was happy if they were comparable to the 45s but I'll take the performance of the 65s! Have you spent much time on the 3.4s??

Zen Cyclery is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by ilvwhtgrls View Post
    That would be awesome! I'm currently on a set of Zipp 303/404s but I'm really leaning towards the 3.4s. I was happy if they were comparable to the 45s but I'll take the performance of the 65s! Have you spent much time on the 3.4s??
    The 3.4 is definitely the most versatile carbon clincher that I've ridden. It feels stable and smooth on the flats, yet it is reactive and snappy when I want it to be. The overall ride quality (even of the clinchers, I have yet to ride the tubys) is more supple than any carbon or alloy wheel that I've ridden.
    The braking on the SMART series is a great perk as well. They dissipate heat much faster than my old 65s, and I feel as if I can actually trust them on the longer descents.
    Visit http://www.zencyclery.com for custom, handbuilt wheels.

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Lionel is offline VSalonistas

If you are planning to do a lot of climbing you should go for a lower profile rim. Getting caught on an alpine descent with lots of wind on deep carbon rim is just not a good idea and quite dangerous. Whatever the marketing claims of the new profile is for this application it won't work well. Wheels are a compromise and trying to find one wheelset that does everything best is impossible. A good compromise is something in the 32mm range but it won't be as good as a low profile carbon rim in the mountains and it won't be as good as a deep carbon rim on the flats.

SignatureJustin is offline VSalonistas

Crank based power is the way to go.

Definitely get some wheels, but with a crank based system you won't be married to any wheelset.

Gossamer SRM systems are reasonably affordable and are made with the same internals as all the SRM units. SRM is a stand up company too.
    Justin Bagnati - Signature Cycles
    justin@signaturecycles.com
    Instagram- JustinBagnati

Simonhi is offline VSalonistas

My limited (less than 2000 miles) review of the 6.7's is that they hold up to crosswind far better than my 45's ever did.

Rolling along at 22-24 mph every now and then I will pass gate openings in the headgerow (on both sides of the road) which is a great place for the wind to funnel thorugh and all of a sudden you find yourself 4 feet to the side on my previous 45's. The 6.7's are less noticeable. Anything less than 20mph winds don't affect me as much as before. My 45's made me nervous if it was windy and i would switch to my Nemesis rims.

If it also helps I'm a biggish guy, 6'3" and 190 lbs and pretty clumsy so I can take a bit of battering before it unnerves me but being heavy has me regularly hitting 50mph on descents so a nervous wheelset I would not ride.

The deeper rim also helps with the my bulk in maintaining a stiffer wheel, no brake rub etc... then neither did my 45's but they were 24/28 spoke and not 20/24 like the 6.7's.

If I was riding big hills all the time I would drop 30lbs and ride the 3.4's but for undulating terrain the 6.7's do me fine. Either will not disappoint, dependent on your weight and chosen terrain.

Have a chat with Jason and Fairwheel he's riden both extensively and now choses the 6.7's as a daily wheelset due to being more mangable than any other deep rims in higher winds. He said once I put them on I would ride them all the time and he's right, he helped me right out which was why I ordered direct from him and paid the huge import duty to the UK.

Z3c
    Z3c is offline VSalonistas

I have 3.4's and 6.7's and ride each often as they are my only wheels. I have had the 3.4's for about a year, the 6.7's I bought this past spring. I have set my fastest PR's on the 6.7's; lots of variables obviously, but they seem to consistently be faster on rolling routes. I don't know that I really feel a difference in ride quality between the two, the 3.4's are maybe a touch quicker to accelerate. The 6.7's just seem to build speed. The 3.4's are no issue in the winds for me; I weigh 175ish. Winds here tend to be gusty and can be problematic at times, often they start/stop out of nowhere so it can be calm when you depart and 15 mins later you are getting blown sideways. The 6.7's definetely do catch a crosswind more but it is still acceptable to me. I have owned every road rim Edge/Enve has made except 8.9's; I think the Smart rims do greatly improve wind handling issues. The 6.7's are wind affected to a similar degree as the 45's in my experience. One of my riding buddies weighs 155ish and went from 45's to 3.4's and noted a real decrease in being blown around; he loves the 3.4's
    So, if you are willing to tolerate the occasional wind death-grip day, buy the 6.7's as they are great wheels. If you just want to never worry about the wind, 3.4's will give you that.

I ask if there is anyone that has actually ridden the 6.7s in varying conditions that still wouldn't recommend them 90% of the time over other rim depths. Plenty of responses here sound like they haven't actually ridden these wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3c View Post
    I have 3.4's and 6.7's
    snipped
    There you go.

select rims for your weight not the rims for how fast you want to go.

Matthew Strongin is online now VSalonistas

I'm looking into a set of either 3.4 or 6.7s. I weigh 155 or so most days. Which do you recommend?

Weight? Weight should not be your only consideration. Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Weight? Weight should not be your only consideration. Not by a long shot.
    Amen sister.

teleguy57 is offline VSalonistas
    Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier

Amen sister.
    I'm confused. I read your first post to read that the rider's weight is a significant consideration -- which makes sense to me. Am I missing something in the exchange here?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast