Thread: CX Training: Preparing For the Season Finale

classtimesailer is offline VSalonistas

Default CX Training: Preparing For the Season Finale

There are 8 weeks of training/racing before the finale. At this point should I abandon off-the-bike resistance work and just do intervals and such? Where would I get the biggest bang for the buck? I got a late start training in earnest as the doctors only lifted the restrictions on hard efforts in September. I'll continue with skills training and core stability stuff but how can I get faster, stronger, longer by January 6?

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Default Re: CX Training: Preparing For the Season Finale

Nobody answered yet!!!

I'd love to coach you. I take checks, money orders and gold currency ;) No kidding.

You really are asking the forum alot to give this advice but I'll get the ball rolling. Say what your strength and weaknesses are and how much time you devote to practice sessions.

For this period of the CX season and let's pretend you did a decent prep. for the season, I'd include race length INTENSE workouts.

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

Toots can expound much more eloquently than I can...d'uh!

Are you racing road?
    You're in the SoCal...when would your first road race be? Looking ahead for endurance and rest.
    Are you racing 45 or 60min?
    How has your results been so far?
    How are your starts?
    Are you losing gas, or catching and passing at the end?
    "make the break"

Thanks guys.
    I'm coming back from some valve replacement surgery that got a little complicated and kept me inactive for 3 1/2 months. Over the last 8 months, I slowly built up some endurance and strength while keeping my heart rate in the recovery to endurance zones. I commute 4+ days per week 18 miles each way and before CX started in Sept., a group ride on the weekend of 25 to 50 miles. Before Sept., I only allowed myself to go anaerobic for a few seconds on the group ride as I got dropped. Now there are no restrictions. This year I moved up to the 55+ and I am finishing consistently at the 50th percentile in 45 minute races. My start is good, but half way into the first lap, two small groups get away -- the front group of 4 which I'd like to be with next year and then another group that I want to be part of by January. Whoever I'm with on the last lap, I can beat if I don't bobble the last turn. I may race road this year if I can hang with the very spirited training rides this spring. Pre surgery, I could finish mid pack in the 45+ but would not bump elbows with 2 turns to go. CX is my current focus. Thanks again. I'm off for the Holiday Ride
    Jeff

Time-wise results: I'm 5 minutes behind the leaders and usually 2 minutes out of 5th place in a 5 lap race.

Too Tall is offline VelocipedeSalon.1

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    Time-wise results: I'm 5 minutes behind the leaders and usually 2 minutes out of 5th place in a 5 lap race.
    These are not endurance races. Your training is all sub-threshold. Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    These are not endurance races. Your training is all sub-threshold. Hello.
    Correct. But now that I am permitted to go threshold and beyond, and I only have 8 weeks left to the finale, I was looking for key midweek workout recommendations to supplement my weekend racing. Last week I did two sets of Tabata intervals. I'll do 3 this week and see how it goes. I wish I had a few bucks for coaching but I'd probably spend it on some Grifo XSs for my virgin Major Toms.
    Jeff

sonny is offline VSalonistas

warm up and get hot
    practice holeshot then try to ralph as many times as possible in following half hour
    fall off bike
    get back on, cool down

i suck at cross and molly cameron is out somewhere motorpacing

Britishbane is offline VSalonistas

Disclaimer: I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to training/coaching - TT can vouch for that.

With that out of the way...its too late in the season for intervals to do you much good IMO. Certainly 3 days of intervals with a race, maybe two, on the weekend is WAY too much. From what I've read (see the above disclaimer) hard interval training should be done early in the week, when you're fresh, and most importantly, when you have time to properly recover. Not going to happen 3 times a week.

If I were you I'd probably pick two days (Tues and Thurs) and go hard, as hard as I could sustain, for 45min. Basically what sonny said.

thollandpe is offline VSalonistas

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    Last week I did two sets of Tabata intervals.
    Well that's your problem right there. You need to be doing Favata intervals!
    christian favata | Tumblr

sonny is offline VSalonistas

do report back on your regimen and results!

This week I did Tabata intervals during my afternoon commute on Tues. and Thurs. I warmed up 15 minutes and then hit the button on my Garmin: 20 seconds ALL OUT then 10 seconds soft pedal and repeat 7 times. On Tuesday, I attempted two sets but didn't make it through the second one. 20 seconds can be a very long time and quitting on the second set was much like watching a group of riders slowly get away from me on the CX course. A ten second recovery is not. On Thursday, I just did one set. I'm fortunate that most of my commute is on a bike path and there is little interference during the 20 second efforts. There is no race this week.

Gummee is offline VSalonistas

Can't say I've recently 'discovered' it, but have been riding more on the gravel roads NW of here. It helps 'cause you're not just JRA. Takes more oomph to keep going on the gravel roads than road riding. If you're not riding the cross bike on the gravel, try that for a ride/week.

Also helps picking lines. There's good spots to ride and not so good spots to ride. ...just like a cross course. ...and just like a cross course, if you need to get around someone on the not so good line you know approximately what the bike's gonna do and how much more effort it'll take to get round someone. Granted gravel's NOT a cross course, but you'll have an idea.

M