Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best rain jacket?

Watoni is offline VSalonistas

Default Best rain jacket?

Ok, I am riding more and more in the rain, and I am willing to throw down for a rain jacket that would keep me as happy as possible on a 6-10 hour ride in the mountains. I am not willing to bag Devil Mountain Double, or any day of the cent cols challenge due to rain.

The issue? I tend to get pretty warm. Even if it is around freezing I generally climb in a vest or just a jersey and no gloves. If it rains I generally climb in that Assos Microclima vest thing, which works well enough. The issue is what to wear on the way down a long descent and then for any flats. My waterproof does not breathe that well, and ti is not particularly warm. Last summer I froze descending the Galibier in a cold rain storm (turned to snow the next day and several cyclists had to be rescued due to hypothermia).

Othan than HTFU, what would be the best compromise of waterproof/breathable? Gore Paclite seems ok, but apparently Gore has some new shell and EVent gets a lot of good press. My initial candidates are:

New Castelli EVent Pocket liner jacket
    Hincapie Event shell
    Castelli Gabba WS rain jersey (Castelli | High Speed Race Wear Blog Archive Bicycling: Gabba Jersey Gear review)

Would Rapha be more epic? (I kid, the lightweight softshell and lightweight jersey are my favorite pieces thus far)

Chance Legstrong is offline VSalon Podium Boy

Default Re: Best rain jacket?

The Hincapie is a fav among the PRO ranks and is often rebranded.
    "make the break"

fmbp is offline VSalonistas

I have a Showers Pass jacket, which is really nice. It has the eVent fabric, but it still gets a bit steamy.

monadnocky is online now VSalonistas

I read the title of the thread and thought "Showers Pass."

jonathanb is offline VSalonistas

Showers Pass is the simply best rainwear you're going to find.

Lionel is online now VSalonistas

Assos climajet is my favorite. They have a new version of it, I can't remember the name of it. In fact I can't remember the names of any of their new pieces.

Pete Mckeon is offline VSalonistas

Showers pass made it thru an entire week of rain in VT, NY, and Montreal two years ago. Never had that much rain and probably will not be in VT in OCT again for Colorado Heart Cycle has not run another trip there,,,, PETE

Matthew J is offline VSalonistas

I just received an Orion from Mission Workshop. Only wore in the weather once, but it appears very well made and fits perfectly.

There is a limited edition lighter version available at the moment as well for those in warmer climes:

Apparel / Orion Waterproof Jacket || Mission Workshop

Another option is the Storm King Parka from Outlier.

Orion uses Schoeller fabric and Outlier Supermarine cotton. These are more expensive fabrics, but in my opinion anyway, more comfortable and less clammy than Gore. As both are relatively new on the market hard to say how long they will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Assos climajet is my favorite. They have a new version of it, I can't remember the name of it. In fact I can't remember the names of any of their new pieces.

I love it too (or the best version), but it soaks through in an hour or so, I find. I will look at Showers Pass, but if it all EVent is it not down to fit/style. If I were going Goretex I might just get the Etxeondo versions since they fit better (at least on me) and make me feel all Euskatel. I will look at the SP, Hincapie and Castelli (if I can find one)

You will sweat like in pig with any goretex on the bike. I have a paclite shell, yes it's waterproof but does not breathe well at all, despite all the claims. It's good for skiing and such but I find it uneffective cycling.

You will sweat like in pig with any goretex on the bike. I have a paclite shell, yes it's waterproof but does not breathe well at all, despite all the claims. It's good for skiing and such but I find it uneffective cycling.
    Yup, I was hoping EVent might be better in that regard ... it supposedly is Castelli did not use Gore and went for EVent in their jacket for Garmin, as did Hincapie and Showers Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    Yup, I was hoping EVent might be better in that regard ... it supposedly is Castelli did not use Gore and went for EVent in their jacket for Garmin, as did Hincapie and Showers Pass
    I don't buy it. I have an eVent shell for mountaineering, it's pretty much like goretex IMO.

lavi is offline VSalonistas

eVent may be better than Gore, but it acts very much the same. I sweat like a pig in my eVent jacket.

lavi is offline VSalonistas

I don't buy it. I have an eVent shell for mountaineering, it's pretty much like goretex IMO.
    yup..

Paul is online now VSalonistas

I'm not normally that keen on Rapha stuff but their Rain Jacket is pretty good - keeps the weather out and is breathable - more so than paclite.

The new Assos waterproof, think it's called Sturmprinz - or something like that, is more than likely the dogs bollocks - but I haven't tried it and it is very expensive.

Yeah this : rS.sturmPrinz - ASSOS of Switzerland
    Something like $530..........

I am not sure how much better it is than the Climajet and most likely will not find out soon but here is an extract from it's description from the Assos website. A bit wordy but I agree with the basic idea they describe:

The objective was not to make a 100% waterproof jacket. Why not? Because 100% waterproof also means 100% impermeable, and this would be catastrophic if you happen to be in the bike race of your life, in the lead, with two hours still to go. Why? Because, at this level of exertion, body perspiration is very active, and the evaporation process must be proactive. It can’t be slowed excessively by your pro- tective shell. Otherwise, within a fairly short time, you would be in a small private sauna, sweating out all your essential salts and minerals. The result? Crossing the finish line in last place — with cramps.

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    yup..
    Ok, got it. Climajet vest on the way up, otherwise windbreaker/softshell over top. Even if it soaks through it will keep me somewhat warm. Waterproof non-breathable jacket if it is $%##@$%^ cold and pouring on the descent to avoid hypothermia

Yeah this : rS.sturmPrinz - ASSOS of Switzerland
    Something like $530..........

I am not sure how much better it is than the Climajet and most likely will not find out soon but here is an extract from it's description from the Assos website. A bit wordy but I agree with the basic idea they describe:

The objective was not to make a 100% waterproof jacket. Why not? Because 100% waterproof also means 100% impermeable, and this would be catastrophic if you happen to be in the bike race of your life, in the lead, with two hours still to go. Why? Because, at this level of exertion, body perspiration is very active, and the evaporation process must be proactive. It can’t be slowed excessively by your pro- tective shell. Otherwise, within a fairly short time, you would be in a small private sauna, sweating out all your essential salts and minerals. The result? Crossing the finish line in last place — with cramps.

Wow, for $530 bucks it better be a money-back guarantee ... At least with Rapha you can always send it back if you don't like it in my experience.

Wow, for $530 bucks it better be a money-back guarantee ... At least with Rapha you can always send it back if you don't like it in my experience.
    Yep, $530 makes the $395 of Rapha looks like a good deal. CC carries it, I think they have a good return policy. But yeah i do think it's nuts for something I cannot remember the name of!

vertical_doug is offline VSalonistas

Assos doesn't mess around. I am sure it is an awesome piece. The question is whether you want to shell out the greenbacks for it.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast